Author Topic: Totally inspired - thanks John and Stew  (Read 6313 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Totally inspired - thanks John and Stew
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
Well after only 2 weeks on this forum, I was invited (/invited myself) to Bogs house who totally inspired me today with his outstanding knowledge, excellent skill and fantastic workshop. Stew also dropped by and together they really did enthuse me to pursue this hobby further. I took my lathe and John had a look at it and began a few jobs. I had to go a little earlier than was expected and so I left it with him (although as I emphasized to John, that wasn`t my initial intention - I didn`t mean to burden him with more work). He had started stripping it down when I left and was working on the cross slide which had a little play in it. We also discussed how the lathe can be tuned further and how a digital caliper could be mounted to more accurately move the compound and cross slide - a job I am going to try when I get it back. John also mentioned that he may have time to do a little more fine tuning and possibly a handle for turning the lead screw for low gear hand turn screw cutting - something I really want to learn.

So thanks again John and Stew ... hopefully I will be here a while longer. It did make me realise the costs involved in acquiring a good workshop and tooling  :doh:     Still, Johns workshop was something to aspire to along with his skill. Oh and thanks for keeping the terminology simple ... I certainly left with a better understanding of some of the basics....

Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Totally inspired - thanks John and Stew
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
Ha....

One of the best things anyone can do is visit the Bog emporium..... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »
Ha....

One of the best things anyone can do is visit the Bog emporium..... :thumbup:

I call it "John's little shop of magic".

:lol:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »
Bogs, please stand by for a call from your customs agent, there are a few crates coming your way, nothing major just a bit of fettling and tuning here and there! :beer:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:52:59 PM »
Thank you gents for the fine compliments.

As I keep saying, as long as people take us as they find my family and myself (and I only put my teeth in for royalty, or if you have brought me a massive steak as a gift), then anyone can visit and be made welcome. But it does sometimes get a little crowded.

Stew and myself did lay the law down a little, and brought Chris down to earth with a bump. There is no easy way or free lunch when it comes to learning, it has to be worked at, and that takes time.
We showed him the difference between milling on the lathe, and on a dedicated mill, and it got the point across right away. If you want to do it on the lathe, it has to be done the correct way, no lashups or shortcuts.

Chris's lathe is nothing like Darren's one was (very poorly), just a little tweaking here and there and it will be just fine. If I get time and feel up to it, I might get a bit of modifying done. But jobs on the go have to take priority at this moment in time.

So maybe another convert shown the correct direction to go in. I just hope we did our best in the short time we had.

John,

Send all the fettling and tuning you can, but if you want it back, please enclose enough cash for the return carriage plus a large donation to the workshop fund, otherwise it will go to build up my dwindling metal stash.

Bogs

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:00:06 PM »
One of the best things anyone can do is visit the Bog emporium.....  :thumbup:

I'll second, third, fourth, any number you like that....  :beer: 

Always welcomed and I always over stay I'm sure  ::)  :)

Chris,

You have had a good start..... John, Stew and Bandit have both the skills and the humour required to inspire any man  :thumbup:
As a teacher of the dark arts you will appreciate this I'm sure?  (told you some of those "old guys" were nice and good to talk to :lol: )

When you get your lathe back have fun  :dremel:   And we will look forward to new pens and other stuff  :headbang:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »
Fair enough Bogs, I am just putting this one in a box to send to you..

I put in a crate of Tui for your trouble!

John

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
That's great John, I will be able to swap the apron over with mine and get me the civilised version.

Looks like the chap who had that was doing too much smoking on the job (using the lathe that is).

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:03 PM »
Bogs, if you REALLY want that apron I could probably snaffle it but it might be expensive as I see a couple of chaps pushing that auction up over 300 quid.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:15:41 PM »
You are lucky. I think there are a few people I would off to get over there to meet you guys!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
You are lucky. I think there are a few people I would off to get over there to meet you guys!

Eric

When did Bogs say he was having open house for us Yanks?  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline websterz

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 10:31:19 PM »
That's great John, I will be able to swap the apron over with mine and get me the civilised version.

Looks like the chap who had that was doing too much smoking on the job (using the lathe that is).

Bogs

Just build a new apron. From what I have seen it would be no problem for a bodger of your calibre.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:08 PM »
Todd,

If I needed to do it to my old Atlas, there would be no problems, as it was just basically a flat plate. This lathe apron has a fully integrated gearbox built into it, and even though I could most probably do it, I couldn't afford to have the lathe down that long, while it was being made.

Besides that, John is going to send me a finished one, completely free of charge, just needs a bit of a paint touch up. Can't turn an offer like that down, can I?

Ok John, you can come out of hiding now, joke is over.

Looking at that lathe, it is a total scrapper. The heat that it was in has most probably done all sorts of damage. Twisted castings, taken the temper out of most of the hardened metal parts, including some of the gears, buggered all the bearings (dozens upon dozens of 'em) etc. The only use for it really would be for raw materials and maybe a few salvaged parts.

Bogs

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
So Bogs, you dont want me to send it over for your attention then? :lol:

Seriously, I am not sure why people are even bidding on it as whoever gets it is going to spend about 25% of what they could buy a new one for and getting up to what they could buy a used, but serviceable, example for.  I guess they really, really want that right-handed saddle eh?

However, if it was given to me I would certainly be looking it over, other pictures show it has not really been that hot and a picture of the head stock end indicated that the oil in the box might not have burned.  But if I had to pay anything, well that would be a different issue!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 11:53:30 PM by John Hill »