Author Topic: Me  (Read 4861 times)

Offline OgreOwner

Me
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:20:08 PM »
Hello all.  I am Karl.  I teach High School Science, the easy stuff like Physics and Chemistry.  To keep my brain working, I research alternative energy.  I have found quite a few patents that I would like to make working models of, so I am putting together a machine shop.  Being a teacher, I am pretty poor.  Most of my tooling comes from Harbor Freight.  I started with a 5980 Machine tool and found out why you do not want to hold an end mill in a Drill chuck :bang:.  It missed me when the Drill chuck came loose from the arbor and went bouncing and twirling down to the ground.  I now have a full set of end mill holders and had a 3/4 inch holder ground down to MT2 so that I can use big stuff and take very small cuts.  I now have the micro mill and micro lathe.  I want to set the mill up as a CNC machine and got the lathe so that I can make threads.  I have a set of lathe tool holders that I love - they use the TNMG inserts.  I now subscribe to HSM, Machinists Workshop and Digital Machinst.  My metal shop will be in the garage as soon as I can get it cleaned out - everything is good and buried at the moment.  Same goes for the Wood shop in an old chicken coop out back.  Good thing summer is just about here and school is just about over.

Karl

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Me
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »
Hi Karl  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I'm going to use some of these  :beer: types of things here... If for no other reason than it's funny to see them all bouncing around on the screen!!  :D

Well.... Where do we start, Maybe  :mmr: followed by I'm sure from your intro that your going to have to go see the school nurse.... I'm afraid you have  :proj:  3 subscriptions.... You got it bad!!  :lol:

"Ok... That's enough of that"  I hear everyone Globe over moaning!!  ::)

Take your time, have a good look around, feel free to join in..... Ask questions freely (try a "search" of the site first though  :thumbup: ) and don't be afraid to enjoy yourself... I know we (the collective  :borg: ) do  :ddb:

Chuck and cutters  :doh: Sounds like a lucky lesson learned!!  :bugeye:  Glad your going the safer route now   :thumbup:

Also post pictures of anything you make/use to make stuff etc in the appropriate section when your ready  :coffee:

See you around the site  :)

Ralph.

P.S.  Did I mention I like smileys  :scratch:   
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
Karl,

Ok now that you've been welcomed by the class clown. :lol:  :lol: That's our Ralph. He's got to have one of the best sense of humor around here. Don't mind him. But do look at some of his projects. He loves to make things bright and shiny.  :D (sorry Ralph, I couldn't help myself)

Now I can give you the official welcome.

Welcome to the collective.  :borg: Ralph has pretty much hit all the high spots.

When you do finally get to a project we require lots of pictures and you will be reminded by this sign,  :worthless:

But best of all have fun while your here, don't be afraid to ask questions or give advice because somebody might just pick up on a new technique.

I'm sure once you've surfed all through this forum you will have a bad case of  :proj:

So welcome aboard and remember  :mmr: and no subject is  :offtopic: if you start the thread.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:04:25 PM »
Ok now that you've been welcomed by the class clown.  :lol:  :lol:   That's our Ralph. He's got to have one of the best sense of humor around here. Don't mind him. But do look at some of his projects. He loves to make things bright and shiny.  :D    (sorry Ralph, I couldn't help myself)

Fair do's.... I've got some of the above traits.... I really do like shiny!!  :lol:

Do you think I should change my signature to a warning?  :lol:

Ralph.  :ddb:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »

Do you think I should change my signature to a warning?  :lol:

Look under your name  :lol:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »
Hey there Karl,

Physics & chemistry eh? Neat stuff... I never studied chemistry in high school... skipped it and went on to AP bio, AP anatomy and finally AP Physics. Enjoyed the physics A LOT!

Sounds like you got a good start to a shop. I am poor as well so I have HF tools also. One of our guys (the awesome HS93) converted his X1 (micro mill) to CNC.

Anyway, welcome to the collective  :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
A very large welcome Karl.

Don't worry about the others, they are only mildly insane, I'm the one you have to worry about  :hammer:

It looks like you have taken on a big bite of learning curve, but I am sure the chaps on here will be able to help push you over the top.  :mmr:

Bogs
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:25:08 AM by bogstandard »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
Welcome aboard Karl.

Looks like the other Chaps have beaten me to it in the race to getting the banners posted ho well i'll just stick a few in any way for good luck  :D

Alternative energy :thumbup: my good friend at work is doing a part time MA in alternative energy and he's just getting himselfe a shop together, I've been trying for ages to get him to sign up to the forum so a few threads on the subject may temp him. Looking forward ro seeing what you get up to, but the main thing is just to have fun
 :)

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:40:28 AM »
Look under your name  :lol:

Eric

:lol:    :ddb:   

Nice!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »
Welcome Karl!

It`s nice `ere.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
Welcome Karl.  I also work in alternative energy - specifically solar - where I design tooling to make lenses for high efficiency panels.  Where in the US are you located?

(Note the distinct lack of smileys, to counter the excessive use by the other odd-balls on this forum)
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »
other odd-balls on this forum

:wave: