Author Topic: Roller for bending flat bar  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Roller for bending flat bar
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:17:07 PM »
 Somewhere I recall seeing a write up on making a flywheel rim or maybe a traction engine wheel from flat stock by rolling it into a circle. Can anyone point me to such a build? What is that type of roller called?  Any plans for such floating around?
 [font=]Chuck[/font]
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Roller for bending flat bar
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Somewhere I recall seeing a write up on making a flywheel rim or maybe a traction engine wheel from flat stock by rolling it into a circle. Can anyone point me to such a build? What is that type of roller called?  Any plans for such floating around?

The tool you are looking for is called (depending on your area) either a Slip Form Roll or a 3-Roller Slip Form.  The initial step is to form a spiral slightly smaller in diameter than you intend to end up with, trim it to the appropriate length, and weld the ends together.  The welded area will need to be ground or filed smooth.  [Sometimes you can make minor corrections by loading the result into the Slip Form Roll and re-forming it slightly.]

Many decades ago, such work for flywheels was common in the shop in which I served my apprenticeship.  [I only did it a few times.]

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 03:37:26 AM »
I think I saw somewhere someone using a modified bead roller to make that kind of rim for model engine.

Pekka

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
Have a look at Youtube and search for "Myfordboy" in amongst his many videos he shows how he constructs his flat bar bender, another clip shows him using said machine I believe for forming tyres for a pair of fly wheels later to be lead filled.
JD
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, folks.
Chuck

Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig