Author Topic: Playing with me laser and toolboxes  (Read 5332 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Playing with me laser and toolboxes
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »
I have a penchant for wooden toolboxes, engineers type that is.
I have many, all donate prior to or after death by some very skilled men I have had the fortune to work with and learn from. It's one way of remembering these men and their skills.

I also have some that I have made over the years although I am not a good woodworker or really have an interest in it. More an interest in nice boxes.

We had a truck garage up until 1990 when we closed the doors as lease hire was killing the game. In hindsight and for other reasons it was the best thing we could have done. We closed at end of January 1989 and spent the whole of January closing up and selling off but there wasn't a lot to sell but we still had to be there.
All the old spares unsold were thrown in the skip after the auction and the racks broken up for burning but when these were smashed up, under all the grime and oil they were oak.

So I took a saw bench and small router bench to work and cut then up and made some toolboxes for my next job.

The knobs were added later from the other job as these are what holds the action into a grand piano.

So enough waffling about the past and fast forward to today.
Thinking about doing some nice boxes I must admit I like to see the dovetail joints but other than using CNC and spending more time than I have it's not going to happen. So what about fudging it. The laser can cut as well as engrave where wood is concerned, so what about engraving the lines of the dovetail joints whilst still using a quick half lap joint ?

Three examples [ one didn't come out, weird font ] top and bottom are cut letters at low power, third one down is engraved or scanned.

This is just a bit of crappy ply packing case sprayed afterwards with a rattle can of easing oil to get a uniform finish.

Certainly looks promising and needs a bit more input.
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Playing with me laser and toolboxes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
Very nice John, but one major objection: With a true drawer dovetail joint IT DOESN'T SHOW on the face of a drawer, only the sides  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:56:15 PM »
These are SHOVE TAILS, designed to stop the sides falling off!

From my old wood work master - sorry couldn't resist repeating

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
Yabut you don't see the sides.

It's only bling
John Stevenson

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:39:10 AM »
The reason for the dovetails being the other way round is  so you don't pull the draw front off   :palm:

Rob

Offline RussellT

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:05:50 AM »
It may be only bling but I don't think it looks right - apart from the objections already mentioned - you'd need to change the grain pattern too.

How about going around the edge to make it look like cock beading on the edges.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 05:15:59 AM »
It may be only bling but I don't think it looks right - apart from the objections already mentioned - you'd need to change the grain pattern too.

How about going around the edge to make it look like cock beading on the edges.

Russell

...or just stop being a poser  :lol:

....... now get back to work and mend some motor bearings  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex