Author Topic: Variable Tool Standout...  (Read 6725 times)

Offline Ross

• Ross' steam engines
Variable Tool Standout...
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:30:25 PM »
Still learning this 5-axis malarky at work... This week I learned the hard way although not totally my wrong doing..

1 Roughing tool Skims the platforms of a rather pricey bladed disk (Blisk)

Said tool has a large standout from the holder (70mm) to avoid collision with the blades, The roughing tools are sent for re-grind after every use and the minimum length is (80mm) so that means 10mm clamping material on the holder.. I was in autopilot as I set the tool and this never occurred to me.. I think you can see where this is going...

Instead of the tool snapping due to the cutting force the crappy holders we (used to) use allowed the tool to flex and move at its own accord thus cutting all of the 38 platforms at different depths...   :palm: Had to adjust the finishing tools -.028" to clean them up so this one is going to be a very expensive bonnet ornament for my car apparently..

But at least now the minimum length for the regrinds are now 105mm and we now use hydraulic holders instead for a little bit more stability...

Below a picture of the lovely undercuts on the 'finished' platform

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Variable Tool Standout...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »
5 Axis?  :scratch:

X, Y, Z, Time and Hyperspace?

If you take too deep a cut in the 4th dimension, does the part end up in the middle of last week?  :lol: :doh:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:18:47 AM »
Ade : key is Ross said 5-axis and not dimension.

X,Y,Z are the three linear positions then A,B,C are rotational orientation of the workpiece in relation to the machine spindle axis (can't remember which TNC your machine has but it'll probably have at least 4 axis capability in the controller....).

Extra axes usually start off with a 4th axis as either a vertical rotab or trunnion table for the work. By the time you get to 5th axis you're in to either rotab on trunnion table or into nodding-head territory - at which point you're probably into high-end CAM territory.

Some good examples here which do show cutting time - one of which might actually have a 5th dimension aspect!

Dave

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:13:07 AM »
Is there a real 5-axis milling for amateurs?

I though all afordable systems are 3-axis + indexed axle, but not sure at all. I just once overhead heated up conversation when someone thought he had true 5-axis system and it turned out be 3+indexed. Post processor spitted out like congress library index.

Pekka