Author Topic: Quick Change Tool Post for mini-lathe - clarification  (Read 14698 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Quick Change Tool Post for mini-lathe - clarification
« on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:28 PM »
I saw a QCTP on my visit to John`s workshop and realised that they are really handy and would like one fitted to my lathe. I`ve been looking at the ones sold for the mini lathe at Arceuro at it seems to me like you still need to screw the centre screw down as they don`t seem to have a quick release handle like the larger ones I have seen:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes/Model-C3-Mini-Lathe

Looks to me like you use the original tool post centre locking nut but still have a separate single screw in the interchangeable tool posts. It just doesn`t seem quite as easy as the ones with the centre releasing nut. I appreciate it still allows you to centre your tools but in terms of locking it down, it only saves you bolting an extra 2 screws down!

Something like this looks more like the real deal but I can`t find one in the UK for a mini lathe (I have clarke cl300m - asian lathe) :

Turn the handle, swap and lock it up!

Can anyone shed some light on this..they do look like different designs and if I`m getting one, I want one that has a quick release handle. Perhaps I am missing something.

Chris

ja2on

Re: Quick Change Tool Post for mini-lathe - clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
I cant find a mini lathe one either  :hammer: in the uk
this is one I have my eye on but i worry i will get hammered for import duty
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2461&category=-139540609

I have the Mini Quick Change Toolpost on mine second one down
http://www.chesteruk.net/store/toolposts.htm
and to be honest I think it's a bit rubbish

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
Just been researching some more - this is a nice site:

http://www.finelinehair.com/home/rocker_tool_post.htm

I couldn`t make the rocker toolpost part as i don`t have a mill to machine the semi-circle but I bet I could come some way to fabricate a standard toolpost. Then again, the toolpost isn`t something you want moving about so I guess it isn`t really something I should try and make!  :doh:

At the bottom of that page it also shows the A2Z mini lathe toolpost from the USA but postage would be a fortune and it is made of ally, which I can`t imagine is the best material for a QCTP?

Advice and comments welcome...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »
Hi Ja2on,

The second one down looks similar to the one in my first link at ArcEuro ... can you clarify if it does have a centre release handle or do you still end up having to screw a bolt down?  The third one down on your first link looks good, the large QRTP.

Chris

EDIT: and yes, the A2Z CNC is the one I have been looking at but agree we will get smashed for import and P&P! Pitty no-one in the UK does one similar. I have just come from a link where someone has said the A2Z is poor quality and was dissapointed with the finish and that it was ally.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:02:35 PM by craynerd »

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
The A2Z CNC is pretty good quality TBH and the alloy is hard anodised so quite tough.

I've had mine for 4yrs and no complaints, you can see it in some of my posts when I use the mini lathe.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

ja2on

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:15:39 PM »
the one I have uses the standard tool post handle to hold down the tool post
and has a allen head bolt in the side to tighten the grip on the removable tool holder

the large QRTP is to big for us I think

It worries me that the a2zcnc post is ally as well
I've had mine for 4yrs and no complaints, you can see it in some of my posts when I use the mini lathe.
That helps  :thumbup:

EDIT the little machine shop qctp comes in at £82.86 inc shipping
import duty will be a lottery though we may or may not get clobbered it depends who they post it with
I have had stuff from the states via normal post and been ok but stuff that comes via ups and other companies have always collected duty
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 06:41:42 PM by ja2on »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
Darren, did you order direct from USA and did you get hit by customs? Or did you manage to find a UK supplier.

Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »
Yes, yes & No

But I think there is somewhere in the UK selling them now, I just don't know where.
Someone here will and pipe up shortly.... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »
Cheers Darren...I hope someone knows where these can be found over here.

thanks for your help so far, glad I posted -  I was convinced the ArcEuroTrade ones didn`t have a centre release bar and just used the normal locking nut.

Cheers
Chris

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »

EDIT the little machine shop qctp comes in at £82.86 inc shipping

but stuff that comes via ups and other companies have always collected duty

It's expensive, but mine has stood the test of a cack handed newby and time

Ups is always a killer, I ask people from the US not to use them or I don't purchase. It's as simple as that.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »
You could always make one like I did, just don't use a halfshaft..... :bang: :bang: :bang:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=908.0

bogstandard

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:50 PM »
I have mentioned this before, but it doesn't harm to have it shown in other places.

For people importing into the UK the usual import charge is put on all items valued at 18 squid and over.

The charge is normally the going rate of VAT. So if the value of the item is 100 squid, then you will pay 15 squid import duty.

Now for the killer bit.

The import duty, if done thru the Post Office mail delivery will have to be paid for at a main sorting office, due to the fact that postmen are now not allowed to carry any money belonging to the PO on their normal rounds, as it leaves them open to highway robbery (look at the next bit for a good excuse for robbery).

The PO will send you a postcard to tell you it needs to be picked up, but they will charge you 8 squid for sending you the postcard.

So your 100 squid package will be charged 23 squid duty.

If your package comes thru a carrier, they will usually send you a bill for the duty, either electronically or by letter and won't deliver it until the duty is paid.

Bogs
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:11:35 PM by bogstandard »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:55 AM »
John, thanks for the info re- import
We discussed the QCTP when I came to visit, now that I have clarified that the ArcEuro does not have the quick release bar, do you still think that it is worth the money? - I appreciate you can have your tools set up but it is still a different ball game compared to yours, you still have to bolt it down rather than just turn the quick release handle. In your opinion what way would you go - stick with my standard tool holder, go for the single bolt down ArcEuro one or save up and go for a true "mini" quick release?

Chris

bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »
The Arc Euro one is a QCTP, but works in a slightly different way to mine.

If you look at the back of the toolpost itself, you should find it has an allen headed bolt. One quick turn on that either releases or tightens up the toolholder. So most probably takes 2 seconds to change, instead of the 1.5 seconds it takes on mine.

John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 05:39:42 AM »
Ok - I catch your drift. Will have a little think but I bet the ArcEuro is the one I`ll go for, after-all the other is nearly double in price.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 05:42:32 AM by craynerd »

ja2on

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »
here is just a quick pic of my tool post (different from the one arc euro sell)
I know my lathe is a c4 but as far as I know its the same size tool post

it uses the standard post handle
and you can see the cap head screw on the side which tightens the dovetail on to the tool holder
the two problems i have with it are the base was not flat a quick lap solved that problem
and the cap head screw with the hight adjuster nuts is really lose on all three of my holders
I will probably find some tighter fitting threaded rod or make some and lock tight them in
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:45:21 PM by ja2on »