Author Topic: Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns  (Read 3772 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »
Gas Burners for Forges, Furnaces & Kilns
By: Michael Porter
Skipjack Press
here
ISBN#1-879535-20-3
copyright©2004

First off I have not built any of the items discussed in this book. And it is yet again a book that people love or hate. Also it is the foundation that a lot of the forge builders on the web have used to construct their versions of a forge. Some will not admit that they have used it and other will freely do so.

As that is just the way of the web, I don't want to or care to get in to a "match about this book".

THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR THE PERSON THAT WANTS TO BUILD IT CHEAP,FAST, AND WITH NO WORK.
You must have a pretty good grasp of fabrication, and machine shop type terms and workings. I have not built anything yet but know a couple people that have and are satisfied with the burners. The real great info is in the conversion of the propane tanks into the shells of the items talked about. Safely done is foremost in every bodies mind. The information is in the book is filled with directions you can take if you want to modify the authors ideas. There are plenty of drawings in relation to the subject matter also a number of charts. It could have used some pictures. But maybe in the next edition. I read it for the new knowledge I gained for his experience in the field. Along with what I know and will learn I found the book worth the money. As this isn't an area filled with people writing new works each week. And yes there is a lot of stuff on the web but you MUST HAVE KNOWLEDGE of the subject. To web out the chaff, along with the already made up burners and bodies. That may be cheaper in the long run for you.

* Safety
    * Burner system propane
    * 1/2 "burner
    * 3/4"burner
    * propane bottle forge
    * Forge cart
    * 1"furnace burner
    * 1 1/4"furnace and kiln burner
    * Foundry furnaces
    * Farrier's forge
    * Multi hole glass furnace
    * Brazing a couple of pages of instruction for the just starting
    * And finish out with the chapter noites, glossary,resources

If nothing else this would give a person a reality check on whether they really want to build or buy. As with most things buying ready made can be cheaper, due to volume buying and less redo's on the builders part.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen