Author Topic: Mono Rail Tyre Change ...  (Read 13240 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Mono Rail Tyre Change ...
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:55:56 PM »
I had the opportunity to visit someone new today that's again into small trains .... 'cept this chap is a little different.

He like Mono Rails, has a couple of them from what he was telling me. Well to be truthful he has the largest collection in the world of over 100 trains apparently.

Anyway, a guy that knew a guy that knew a guy that knew me put me onto him for a little job he needed doing. One of his trains needed a tyre change and the new tire didn't fit the hub properly. The tyre in this case is all steel and the old one had a rubber rim.

The Problem: the tyre is the center piece clamped by the two outer rims, except the rims wont clamp fully.

After careful scrutiny it was decided to modify the hub.

For this I mounted the hub in my 8" four jaw as it fit better than my 3 jaw due to larger jaws. Please excuse the state of the chuck, I've yet to clean it up and this is the first time time I've used it. The hub was dialed in to 0.0005 in both directions.

The wheel before machining

You can see here what was taken off in the shiny areas, the hub is cast steel.

The wheel after machining the hub

I realise I haven't taken enough pictures to help show this properly, but I hope you get the jist  ::)

One of the bearings in the hub had a dust cover missing, so though I'd make the chap a new one from a bit of SS

Sizing the outer dia

Now the inner

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:35:14 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Mono Rail Tyre Change ...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
This one is the star attraction at this place I believe?
The only working steam mono train in the world ...!!

http://www.freewebs.com/railmachinesltd/thesteammonotrain.htm

All about 1 mile from my house. I'm amaised at how many steam trains there are around here, they're all over the place and I've only recently discovered that  :doh:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:19:46 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:25:34 AM »
Nicely done Darren!  :clap:

It`s a great feeling, when we can easily & happily work a bit of "magic" for someone who can`t......  :thumbup:

David D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:27:48 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »
Hi Darren

Great job  :thumbup: , cool engine , and only  a mile away  :D

Regards Rob

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
I took the bits back today and got a look at the engine above. I was surprised how big it was. Very nice condition as well.

And awed at the rows and rows of engines lined up around the place .... along with the vast stacks of unused tracks.

I must go back when it's sunny and not raining, pref when the steam engine is out having a run ....

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
I took the bits back today and got a look at the engine above. I was surprised how big it was. Very nice condition as well.

If I read the page correctly it is only a little over ten years old, about the same age as my car! :lol:

What does intrigue me is how it ballances on the rail,  I can see little guide wheels but surely the rail would have to be very firmly fixed to terra firma if they were to stop it toppling over. :scratch:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »
Hi John,

No, nothing is fixed to the ground, the track just sits there. It's not even bolted together but rather designed for easy erection and dismantling originally for rough terrain.

Particularly useful on new building sites http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/16/Monorail.htm

I have a brochure with some very interesting pictures giving example of where this system takes advantage over conventional twin tracks.

Remember, this is originally designed as a working tool and was never thought as a recreational system until more recent times.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
We have abaout 400 funiculars in our town, mostly serving residential properties, and a some of them are monorails though I have never stopped to look closely at one.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:58 PM »
There's a few of them around here as well, though not for residential use .... can you give us some more info please John ?

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
This is one company quite active in the area
http://www.accessauto.co.nz/products.php

A lot of the older ones were DIY jobs using all sorts of methods.  There were some, now not allowed, that worked on a counter weight system where city water ran into a tank at the top which then ran down to pull the car up.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Let me get this straight... they don't have driveways right up to the house?  :scratch:

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
Let me get this straight... they don't have driveways right up to the house?  :scratch:

Thats right Darren.  Some houses have a garage at street level and a funicular to the house, others just park on the street and I guess some might not even own a car.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
I looked at the company website you linked to, John, and watched one or two of their videos. Makes me almost sorry I live on the Chshire plain.

One commentary said that people used then to get to houses which were "otherwise inaccessible."
What I can't work out is how they managed to build those houses in the first place  :scratch: :scratch:

Andy.
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
Andy, the first thing the builders do is put up their own cable cars!   Helicopters are used on some sites and of course mobile cranes are so big nowadays that they are used to get awkward components on site too.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
Crikey, is land at such a premium over there then John?

I thought population in NZ was low  :scratch:

Or is living on such a steep hill considered desirable .... another meaning to "high living" I suppose  :lol:

Now if I saw that in Japan I wouldn't be so shocked ....

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 05:55:56 PM »
Crikey, is land at such a premium over there then John?

I thought population in NZ was low  :scratch:

Or is living on such a steep hill considered desirable .... another meaning to "high living" I suppose  :lol:

Now if I saw that in Japan I wouldn't be so shocked ....

Wellington is the only city where the funiculars are common,  this is a picture of Oriental Bay which is only a few minutes walk from the central business district and of course people like the views too.

Offline gldwight

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
That's a slick idea. I've seen many a location where this type system would have been a major
improvement to what was being used.

Wonder why it's not used much more than it is.
In this part of the states I've never seen one until these posts/links.
Thank you for posting them.
George