Author Topic: Philip Duclos "Victorian" IC engine project  (Read 106576 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Philip Duclos "Victorian" IC engine project
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2009, 03:25:05 AM »
Just stunning...al of it.... :bow:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »
Nice work with the governor Steve,

Not wanting to start a string of ball jokes:-  but as well as varying the rating of the springs you could adjust the weight/size of the balls, I found that the governor on my Beam Engine worked best with lead balls.

Stunning all round job
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2009, 07:13:51 AM »
As usual Steve,

Very innovative and artistic work. It is difficult to imagine what you are going to come up with next.

Wonderful stuff.

Bogs

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
Wow Steve, that is coming out very nicely. I see another masterpiece!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:13 AM »
Ok, so just how does one go about fettling a governing contraption like that?  :jaw:

You certainly do make some very nice pieces Steve  :clap:

Looking forward to the rest  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2009, 01:21:42 AM »
Guys...
I really appreciate the encouragement and the kind words. The last post ended with a couple of teases, like the flywheel blank and tank test placement. The flywheel has come a ways since then. I modified the 5 spoke instructions given in one of the Duclos articles to make it a 6 spoke version. This took a little rejiggering of hole sizes and placements, as well as the radii of the spoke curves, but nothing brain stretching about it.

The project kept getting delayed by family matters, including an 8 hour middle of the night round trip drive to retrieve my son and his broken arm from a wilderness camp in the Great Smokey Mountains. Nicholas is doing fine and seems to ignore the pain as if it were nothing. I finally got back on course late yesterday and made up for some lost time.

The photos below show the flywheel just after it was mounted for testing the wedge lock which secures it to the shaft. This is basically a cone that has been split at 90° so the 2-56 screws can force it to squeeze the crank shaft. Quite an effective way to mount a flywheel. All the hand filing work is now done, but the flywheel will see quite a bit of hand polishing yet, before the job is done.

I think I'm on the right track with the engine, but will be visiting a local model IC engine guy tomorrow, just to let him critique the project so far. Not having messed with IC engines, I'd like to be sure I'm on track for a runner.

For those who are curious about making curved spoked flywheels, I posted a write up on the HMEM board back in October on the subject. You can check it out at http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=3169.0

Ralph...
After 20 years of interest in steam engines, the governor was actually pretty straight forward. The only tricky part was making it all fit in the limited space that was available. That required a bit of give and take where one robs Peter to pay Paul. By going with round rods and smaller diameters, along with slightly over sized balls, I managed to gain just enough space to sneak past the limitations. I got to smoke test it a bit tonight after securing the flywheel. IT WORKS!!!!!!!! although the spring tension might require some trial and error experimentation.

Steve

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2009, 02:43:38 AM »
Lovely job Steve that flywheel is a work of art  :thumbup:

Stew

bogstandard

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »
You are a real rotten bu**er Steve.

Every turn you take, you come up with another jaw dropping feature :jaw: :jaw:

I suppose for your final trick you will have the engine running 1" above the bench and rotating very slowly, with no visible means of support.

You are giving us a real goal to aim for.

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2009, 03:25:04 AM »
 :bugeye:

I`m still out of available words......  :scratch:  ::)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »
Absolutely stunning, that sir, is a work of art.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2009, 09:12:42 AM »
Steve,

I must say for a guy that only started machining a short time ago you sure don't show it, but then you've got that natrual talent. Anybody that can work a file and make a flywheel look like a very fine casting is a natrual at using hand tools.

As all the others have said "can't find the words to express how nice a job you've done". It is truly an exceptional model build.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
John nailed it....

Every turn you take, you come up with another jaw dropping feature

very nice looking flywheel Steve  :thumbup:

I had a bit of a tutorial on the straight spoke type of flywheel from John a while back (still not put it to test ::)  )  but that took me long enough to get my head around..... Now super sleek curves..... Again!!  :bugeye: 

The govener looks pretty damn sweet and the fact that it works is all the better  :clap:   I'll have to look out for some plans/posts on how they are made and how you make them to do the intended job correctly! (I've no use for one right now, but you never know!?  ::)  )

Ralph.

P.S.  Sorry to hear about your "over size" issue!  I've heard that can be painful?    :lol:
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Wow Steve  :jaw:

That is one nice looking flywheel.

Guys... I can tell you first hand, Steve does outstanding work. I have seen his other engine in person, it is amazing!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline georgeseal

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
 :bow:
Eric
I second that

George from Conyers Georgia (USA not Russia)
George from Conyers Ga.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »
Hey George,

Welcome a board the collective.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »
Welcome aboard George. I think you'll enjoy this board.

I've been a bit busy with the project and the photos suffered for it. I'll try to do a bit better as I go along. With the flywheel only needing a bit of polishing, I moved on to the redesigning the cam linkage, which is one of the gizmos that makes all the other goodies work together. It's job is to hold the exhaust valve open until the RPMs drop enough to require another power stroke. At that time it allows the exhaust valve to close, creating  enough vacuum to draw fresh fuel into the cylinder chamber.

The original design called for a single rod which slid within a pair of brackets attached to the outer wall of the cylinder. Since I'm in for a penny, I figured to go for a pound and add a bit of complexity to the visual aspect of the linkage. It still operates just as the original design would, but with a little variation on the look of the mechanism.

Two more small parts will still have to be made to complete this section of the build.

Here you can see the cam roller which runs inside the spoked gear. It is made of hardened drill rod to allow it to take the pnishment of beating against the slope of the cam lobe, also located inside the gear ring.

From there I made a quick jump over to the carb, while I sorted out how I wanted to go about completing the linkage assembly. The carb is a simple aspiration type which atomizes gasoline while mixing it with air in the proper ratio for efficient burning.  This one does it by use of a tiny #60 drill hole and a darning needle for metering the flow of fuel.

The hard part was drilling a #60 hole 5/8 inch to mate up with the needle's location. Luckily, I had access to a sensitive drill chuck which made things a bit easier to control. Remember.... #60 is the smallest drill in the standard drill index many of us have and brass has a tendency to grab a bit and either break it off in the work piece or drag it deeper into the material than wanted.

Thje length was dicated by Duclos to allow the fuel droplets and air to have time to mix well before entering the combustion chamber. The ball cut and the wide flare on the end were added as a bit of whimsy.

The next direction, while still cogitating the linkage's last steps, was to tackle the exhaust section. Duclos had a nice design and I almost went with it, had I not attended a large show where hundreds of hit and miss engines were on display. After seeing the variety of different styles, I came up with something original, while keeping to totally functional as a muffler. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos before I press fitted the top into the canister.

The exhaust brass stack was the reason for the redesign. I simply wanted to have the vertical stack in hopes that this engine might be capable of blowing the classic smoke rings that hit and miss engines are famous for.

Here you can see all the items together. The little engine is becoming rather complex looking, but I enjoy all the wonkiness of exposed mechanical devices, so this one suits my tastes just fine.

I'm sorry for the longer dleays in posting these photos, but these small parts often take more time than the larger more dramatic pieces. Hang in there and I'll post more in a few days. There are still about a dozen pieces to build and fit, so the saga continues, even if at a somewhat slower pace.

Steve 

bogstandard

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »
As usual Steve, wonderful and creative work.

It seems to be a repetative thing, as you come up with so many new ideas. So to keep it simple.

Nice one.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »
Looking stunning Steve

Excelent work 1st Class

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stew

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »
So hard to believe that this is being made on a manual mill and lathe and not from castings... very nice work!   :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow:

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2009, 04:49:26 PM »
Steve, I am constantly amazed when I watch your progress on this little wonder!  :thumbup:

Now about those smoke rings!  If I may be so bold as to mention that the tractor once so renown for smoke rings was the Lanz Bulldog,  it had a vertical exhaust with a large bulge type muffler followed by a tapering pipe with the end cut off square.  (It also had a ten litre single cylinder two stroke semi-diesel engine and could pull six furrows all day on a tank of black sludge)
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2009, 12:10:41 AM »
Guys...
I want to take a moment to say a few words of thanks for all the kind words and the amazing amount of moral support I've received during this project. If it seems I'm sometimes a bit slow to respond to some of the kudos, it's basically because I'm at a loss for words with which to respond. I've found it a humbling experience, as well as a source of inspiration, to push me to try to do the best work that I'm capable of doing. To hear such high praise from the likes of some of the members on the boards is both exciting, a bit startling.... and yes sometimes even a bit embarrassing.... as a relative new comer to the hobby.

We all know there are other boards on line where rivalry jealousy or a  persona desire to be top dog sometimes leads to even the best of projects being put down in order to achieve some sort of unstated agenda. I've yet to see any of these evils rear its ugly head here. The chance for sharing this project has really made what is already been a whole lot of fun, even more so. If I've missed thanking you as an individual, please take this as my attempt to remedy my oversight. I'm in truly awe of the people who make up this board and our sister forum for the friendly atmosphere we've all managed to foster here.

Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2009, 02:15:11 AM »
Very nicely put Steve, this forum truely is a collection of friends.  :D

I only wish I was a better wordsmith, at times...... ::)

David D
David.

Offline shoey51

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2009, 05:49:23 AM »
as David said as he is a wiser man than I :bow:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
as David said as he is a wiser man than I :bow:

With a remark like that........  :scratch:

Just what are you after, young Graham?

:D

David.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2009, 04:17:31 PM »
Steve,

Well put in words! Same craftsmanship with words as well as metal.

All,

I had the good fortune of meeting Steve in person... He is a great guy!

Eric
Science is fun.