Author Topic: Hi from the life in the slow lane  (Read 7914 times)

Offline saltbox alf

Hi from the life in the slow lane
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
Greetings from , what is, at the moment the cold south of France." My name is Alan and I am a lathe owner." :Doh: In actuality I am a new owner of a lathe that is even older than I am!  I am very much an apprentice and can remember the basics from years ago (have you removed the chuck key) but have in reality got to re-learn how to use the monster.

My life is very much revolving around the 'shed' and Matchless and AJS motos, which I restore and also ride when I can.
 Of course having a lathe will be of great use for restoration and the six million other things I will no doubt find to do as well.

I have looked in on various forums of an engineering flavour and this one appeals to me, the feel is similar to the motor bike forum I am a member of, full of good ideas,knowledge and a sense of humor :coffee:

I hope that I shall gain some good ideas and advance in my learning curve with the machining with the help of the forum members.

The beast I have is a counter shaft belt driven Neilson & Wintner gap bed 10", I think is a South bend copy, hopefully a picture is with this post!
It is very difficult to find any info on this lathe, incidently previously owned by a gunsmith for many years. So if anybody has a clue please say.
I look forward to posting a little and getting to know you guys n gals  .
TTFN
Rules:For the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Offline Sid_Vicious

Re: Hi from the life in the slow lane
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
Hi and welcome, there are a a lot of people here with all kinds of experience so I have learned a lot from them since I joined myself. The bike part of your description sounds like something a lot of us here would like to see some pic's of. :beer:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
Welcome, Alan.  Of all the forums I've tried over the years this is the only one that's stuck.  There are great members here and moderators that seem to know when and when not to step into a discussion.

Inevitably, someone's going to say something about the size of picture you posted so I guess I'll be the first.... seems to be a thing here, granted with some merit (especially, I came to learn, for those viewing on mobile devices).  Best to limit them to around 800px X 600px or less.  I'm sure someone will be kind enough to point you to a post with instructions if they're needed.

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
Hi and welcome to Madmodder  :wave:

That's a canny old lathe you have there  :dremel:

Rob

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
Another welcome to the site from one living Downunder. This has become my GO-TO site. I had only a Tech School introduction to metal work and learn heaps here. See things that intrigue me and get ideas, tips and techniques that get book marked for future reference as my confidence grows in the swarf making arena.
  Another tip, get involved with a local model engineering club if there is one in your area. I have found my local club a real boost with advice, challenges to make models and improve my skills.

Welcome, again.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:44 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, lots of interesting stuff going on here.

As Sparky says, limiting picture size helps others to see what you are doing, 640x480 gives pretty good resolution yet limits the amount of data we are shifting about  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline SteveT

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »
Hi and welcome, I think you will enjoy the forum it's very wide ranging it it topics.

Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline saltbox alf

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 07:22:25 AM »
Hi and thank you all for the welcome. I have just looked at the picture size and  :doh: yes it's a bit big!!! I will post something that can be recognized as a picture and a couple of the bikes too. I will give a better description of the lathe also, as I would like to find out a bit more about it.

TTFN

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline saltbox alf

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 12:32:18 PM »
Here we go again with some resized pictures, so I hope I don't take up half the website!!

The lathe is a Neilson & Wintner from Denmark, it's a gap bed type, 10", back geared and tumble reverse. It has change wheels for screw cutting (should tax my brain with the calculations, no reference guide with the lathe) and a power cross feed. It appears to have been well looked after and has some wear in the bed, but very little as far as I can see :clap: If any one knows about these lathes, please let me know. I think it's a South bend copy???
As for the bikes one is a Matchless G3ls 1955 and t'other is a 1960AJS 650 CSR, I also have a pile of pieces and various boxes that should end up as a 1951 G9 Matchless, slow process :hammer:
TTFN

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
Very nice Bikes, i have a few Steve Mc Queen bikes in the garage, most in bits and one just needs a coat of looking at, a Kawasaki Z1 that needs to go back together and a 49 Scott that i should start once in a while. Ow! and my late Dads BMW 90S that i did up and gave the lad, and he has never ridden yet, i will be out on it in the summer.
BTW...welcome.
Lyn.

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 04:39:04 PM »
A Quick search on google on Nielsen & Winther lathe resulted in some results "Nielsen & Winther A/S was founded in 1867 as a blacksmith and machine toolshop, specializing in lathes" and were based in Copenhagen,Denmark. There was also a 100 year anniversary book about the factory, on danish from what I understand.. Hope this can help you. Btw Nice Bikes!
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
Nice bikes I have a 63 BSA B40 - 350 single and a 73 Norton Comando 750 Highrider both need some tlc.