Author Topic: Some Photos of Fairlight cove  (Read 8191 times)

Offline smiffy

Some Photos of Fairlight cove
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:52:36 PM »
 Photos of machines taken at Fairlight Cove during sea defence work in about 1987 The poclain 350 in the sea weighs 60 ton and took some getting out The last photo is a poclain 220  at about 45 tons and was damaged after a building collapse during demolition work .It broke the machine in half . I appoligise in advance if the photo size is wrong but have tried to resize them but no idea if it has worked

Offline smiffy

Re: Some Photos of Fairlight cove
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:48:07 AM »
My first attempt at posting photos was not very good so have tried again . Hope this works. Mike

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 04:40:20 AM »
Thanks for posting those photos. You had fun there Smiffy  :bugeye:

I bet the sand and salt water played havoc with the machines.  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline smiffy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:27:12 AM »
Hi Andrew I think it was the hardest job I ever worked on ,as at high tide we had to park the machines on a refuge in the bottom of the cliff and the tracks would often be under water. As the site fitter i would stay on the refuge and work on the machines at high tide and then be on call while the machines worked at low tide . We worked both tides 7 days a week for the duration of the job . It was a endless task to keep electrics ,switches ,stater motors from corroding up .I would hate to think what elf  and safety would make of the job today . We worked from May to December and it is no fun trying to get a track back on a 70 ton machine at 2 in the morning in the middle of winter in the pitch black with the tide coming in . Mike

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »
Hi Smiffy,

Could you please rescan scann 004 with the photo a bit off the edge of the scanner, so that the nice natural frame for the picture goes right around? I'll like to set that photo as my monitor wall paper. Classic!

Do you have any more pics from that assignment?

Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline smiffy

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
I found a few more photos of sea defences work at Fairlight cove  .Sorry about the quality, they have been laying in my workshop forgotten for many years Mike

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
Cool photos. Did all that machinery get scrapped following that Job, or flogged off to some unsuspecting Soul?

"For Sale

Digger. Only two years old, low mileage. Washed down twice a day when in use. Never put away wet. Best Offer"

Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline smiffy

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:45:13 AM »
All the machines where rebuilt and  went on to other sites .The only things that realy suffered was wireing, starter motors, switches etc which were all replaced as required .All the tracks rollers sprockets and idlers are wearing parts and you would expect to change several times during the life of the machine.The poclain 350 had to be completly striped and rebuilt as a lot of sea water got into the hydraulic system and it became the subject of a very expensive court case as to who footed the bill .It had recenlty been repaired and refurbished
by Poclains and had only been purchased from them the previous week and had only been on site for 3 days when the main hydraulic hose from the pump failed. It was also on cross hire which makes liability and insurance very complicated  . As i was the person who recovered it from the sea I had to give evidience in the court case and it took over 2 years and ended up at the Old Bailey .After it was rebuilt it was used on quarry work and was ok but always had problems with track motors which were very expensive and not really reconditionable .After about 2 years the operating company went bust and as a self employed fitter I moved on to other work  Mike

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
Sounds like a perfect machine for Andrew to work his magic on!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »
Down boy ..... don't even think  about it .... :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
It's on the local news this evening, the Rother District Council have agreed to extend this coastal defence scheme  at
Fairlight Cove next year.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline smiffy

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
I am glad that I am semi retired , The thought of working in those condition again would give me nightmares ,but then I have just taken on a load of work in Aberdeen , must be a glutton for punishment. I am in Tunbridge wells just before Christmas so might pop down to fairlight to have a look . Mike

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »
Call in for a cuppa if you like - we're all of 9 miles away :)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »
I am glad that I am semi retired , The thought of working in those condition again would give me nightmares ...
No need for nightmares! By the time 'Elf'n'Effin safety have had there say the rocks will probably be helicoptered in! As would 'owt else. No way you could take a machine into sea water. You could wear a life jacket but what about the Hymac!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 06:33:54 PM »
No need for nightmares! By the time 'Elf'n'Effin safety have had there say the rocks will probably be helicoptered in! As would 'owt else. No way you could take a machine into sea water. You could wear a life jacket but what about the Hymac!

Will - almost, but not quite the opposite when they extended the seaward end of the main runway at Ronaldsway airport here on IOM - they used the tidal range and the effect of deballasting to best effect - barges laden with (I think Norwegian!) boulders were driven in on a high tide & the stone discharged and the barge then floated off again on the next high tide - there's a carousel of images at the foot of this page.

Smiffy/Andrew - those photos seemed to show protection of a modest length of coastline - has there been any scouring in the vicinity due to altered hydrodynamics?

Dave