Author Topic: High Pressure pumps / Stir up pumps  (Read 3397 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
High Pressure pumps / Stir up pumps
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:47:23 AM »
So been looking around for a new high pressure pump..  And it slowly came to me.. could i build one?

So basicly a stir up high pressure pump for a air rifle, is a ordinary bicyle pump with 2-3 or even 4 stages of compression.
They are quite long, bulky and.. well a pain to carry in the field.

And then we have the shoe box pump, its for recharging bottles from a low pressure compressor like an ordinary shop compressor at 8 bars.
It uses a 12V motor and well it needs to stay at the car..

So i start thinking..  In theory here, would it be possible to make 4 or even 5-6 stage compressor like the shoebox - hand cranked with a small flywheel and a gearbox.
Small enough it could topup a bottle - because thats usually whats needed, after a mag or 2, you need to top up the tank in the rifle again to get good precise shots.

So if one consder that you would never shoot your bottle empty or below 200 bars. Would it be feasible to make a small handcranked device that pushed the last 50-80 bars into the tube again.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
Re: High Pressure pumps / Stir up pumps
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
Something like that is definitely possible - this isn't quite what you want but may give some ideas
http://www.haskel-europe.com/StaticFiles/MRContent/StaticFiles/Haskel%20Europe/en/PDF;s/Hand_Booster_Open_Frame.pdf

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:17:18 PM »
In general Neo for a 3 stage you would pump about 9 times to get 1 bar. 4 stage possibly 4 pumps per bar.
80bar looking in region of 240 to 320 full length strokes whereby at 100 your knackered.
Hand crank may need to go 6 or 8 stage.

Assuming made such a device, the shoebox may be 4 stage or higher due to the low power it runs from and takes about half hour to top up!
Then consider the filters and filtration a percentage deemed suitable for breathing air will lubricate, dry things up or flood the workings.

Regs have been invented 32 years ago and will take your basic to something more rewarding. Most get 70 to 100 dependant upon tube length/volume.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:32 PM »
Ah well, i get about 8-10 shots regulated out of a 500cc tube, running a .25cal at fullpower, then it starts to drop alot.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Jonny

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »
Running high power, power hungry and cant expect a lot.