Author Topic: HOME MADE LATHE QCTP  (Read 24599 times)

Offline velocette

Re: HOME MADE LATHE QCTP
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2015, 03:12:55 AM »
Hi Griff
I agree "Good Attitude" may you have many more successes with your "Mad Modding" projects.
Thanks for sharing and encouraging other to have go at making their own tooling that just does the job and gives you satisfaction of "I Made IT".

Eric

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »
I'm not sure about the height adjustment mechanism  :scratch: but the C1/3/6 QCTP's at the bottom of this page.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathe-Accessories/Tool-Posts

Share some of the virtues of the Dickson and others in that the tool holders are pulled into the tool post, not pushed away from it. Cheap as chips so no idea how good they are but not difficult to copy should anyone really want to make their own?

Offline velocette

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi
"Share some of the virtues of the Dickson and others in that the tool holders are pulled into the tool post, not pushed away from it. Cheap as chips so no idea how good they are but not difficult to copy should anyone really want to make their own?"

Not so I'm afraid it is a piston  type that pushes the tool holder into the taper of the dove tails moved from  an eccentric in the toolpost.
This is the same principal as the "Griffin Tooling"

Eric

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 03:47:33 PM »
You're looking at the wrong one.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
I had a C3 toolholder and made my own toolholders ,and they worked well but not a patch on the dixson I have now , there is another patern similar to the piston type but with a wedge , Doubleboost has one on his Harrison .
Jeff

RobWilson

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Hi all,

I'm proud to have made my own rather than having bought one, no matter what the cost and if everyone just went out and bought stuff off the shelf, Mad Modder wouldn't exist, would it?

Cheers, Griff.

Well said that man  :thumbup:

Nice workmanship  Griff   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline mechman48

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
Nicely done Griff;  :clap:

just a query on the height adjustment... does the end of the adj' screw not bear down on the locking piston/bolt end, in which case would a little brass plug inserted help prevent any damage,  or am I missing something   :scratch:

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
Hi George,

I would normally use a soft plug if the end if the adjusting screw was enclosed and if it was exerting a load but the end of the screw protrudes out of the threads so a plug would just drop out. Also the tool holder is unlocked when adjustment takes place and there is very little weight on the stop pin. Once adjusted, the tool holder is locked up tight against the dovetails, so again there is no load on the pin.

So far no damage or marking has occurred to the 6mm stop pin on the end of the piston, or the ends of any of the adjusting screws, although I agree there could be the possibility of damage to the ends of the threads if they were miss-handled. If this were to happen I would reduce and dome the ends of the adjusting screws where they touch the stop pin.

Despite any misgivings some may have, it is quite a heavy duty affair and it does work really very well. As soon as I get chance I'll post a photo of the whole thing dismantled, this may explain the above better than my words.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2015, 04:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, clarifies it nicely.
Seasons greetings to all.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2015, 07:45:45 AM »
As promised, here is a photo to clarify how it goes together and how the plunger/piston works.

Cheers & all the best.

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
Griff, this is a nice and simple practical design. Well done.

John