Author Topic: Stuff That Emerged From The Swarf  (Read 6450 times)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Stuff That Emerged From The Swarf
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »
Hi All,
       As I mentioned on Stilldrillin's post re: the gas firing of his Scott Vacuum engine that I was fiddling with my version of Jan Ridder's Coffee Cup Stirling engine I thought I should attempt to post the result. Sorry, no build log, too busy making jigs to hold bits and then the bits. Plus pulling it to bits to revamp bits that I thought were causing problems.
    Anyway if I do this right here is a link to Vimeo where the video is.

Still seems a bit lumpy there but not so bad in real life.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:37:15 PM by Brass_Machine »
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Stuff That Emerged From The Swarf
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:38 AM »
Whilst I'm on a roll here is another swarf survivor. It's my first model that actually ran and is a, "Bash Valve" based on the animated engines site's CO2 motor here:- http://www.animatedengines.com/co2.html.
The video is here, unfortunately the air compressor kicks in about the 18 second mark. 
John B

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »
Oh well, may as well bung in the third one. Started out to be Jan Ridder's Bobber but it flatly refused to run.  This is what it was supposed to do.

Determined that I would make it do SOMETHING I made a simple spool / bobbin valve. Modified the head with an old tap washer to allow air line in. I piped the output of the valve into the head of the cylinder using the good standby of motor mower fuel line. (Nice flexible stuff.) Bit more fiddling round and it at least runs, needs 1 Bar at the moment, air leaks past the spool valve a bit more that I would like but hey, I said I would make it do something.   

John B
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:35:15 PM by Brass_Machine »

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:23:43 PM »
Hi John B

Tried watching all linked vids but unable to see, time line & sound are OK but as soon as I press 'play' button the screen goes black, is there something that I've missed as windows doesn't want to play actual vid, just audio... Vimeo.com is a new one on me...    :scratch: ?

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:33:29 PM »
Works for me  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 01:56:54 PM »
Tried again; nope ! audio plays, no pic :scratch: see screen shot...
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline SteveT

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »
Clips worked for me!

Nice work John I like the coffee cup Stirling engine will have a go at making one.
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 03:40:54 AM »
George,
    Sorry the Vimeo link doesn't work for you no idea why. Guess it was all three videos that wouldn't play. I chose Vimeo as they say no adverts ever, and for the little I will post there it's free. I like free.
  What operating system? If you scroll to the bottom of the Vimeo page there is a link to their help section that may help if you are using Linux, private network or proxy server. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has difficulty. Computers are somewhat of a mystery to me so, sadly not a lot of help.

Awemawson,
  At least it works for some of us. 

SteveT
  Glad you liked my efforts. Jan Ridders site is here, http://www.ridders.nu/ and there is English translation available. He will email you any plan (only one at a time from memory) if you ask him. I have been told that he is also good with advice should you have problems with them.
John B

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 06:12:34 AM »
Sorted the vids...

Searched the help line at bottom of page, followed the instructions, set IE to allow software rendering... 'Voila' videos... nice work John... :thumbup:

George.
George.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »
Glad that worked for you George and thanks for the comment.

Below I have tried Vimeo's embed code, let me try to embed them.

Supposed to allow you to see the video without actually going to the Vimeo site, or something like that.

Coffee Cup,  "https://player.vimeo.com/video/148192447"

Bash Valve, "https://player.vimeo.com/video/148192417"

Not a Bobber, "https://player.vimeo.com/video/148192415"

The code that comes up in the embed window is full of stuff I do not understand and does not seem to make any difference if I just cut the bit you see above, so going with that to save what appears to be html stuff to me.

Comments?              better or worse?

John B