Gallery, Projects and General > Gallery

3D Printing for Suckers

(1/5) > >>

Joules:
Oh this has to class as a Mad Mod....   14hr delay in hoovering the stairs !!!

My other half bought a new Dyson from Aldi, she loves her bargains.  So muggins job was to hoover the stairs with new light weight model than the old upright.  Break out the stair tool and join !!!  NOT.

Thank You Mr Dyson for changing the fitting size.   So  :coffee: 3D print time.

Couple of hours measuring parts resulted in above CAD model, including O ring...  Oooh getting fancy now.  5hrs later I had a print.

This would be 1:30am I finished the print, and join.....   NOT !!!   WTF.... :scratch:

My measurement of the stair tool internal bore was wrong by 1mm.  In all honestly it wasn't where I could reach with the calipers, thats my excuse.  Out to the workshop and fire up the lathe for some very gentle boring to open out the larger end by 1mm.  Bye bye to my O ring, so that was broken away to get at the bore.  Slow machining cut and sealed the surface as I went, the end result was the bore to size and no ragged internal surface as the plastic rewelded into a thin skin, as seen below the step.

This time "click" it fits and the other end also fits a treat.  I had spent some extra time reverse engineering Dysons locking lug, before realising I only needed the central part and not the rest, oh well I have the design for any other fitting I may design for this vac.

Just goes to show traditional machining still has a place.  I modifed my 3D model to correct for the bore and take out the O ring.  All finished by 3:00am, isn't insomnia great...

Stairs got done this morning, the look on my other half's face    :loco:   Priceless.

To state the obvious I could have just used the upright vac  :lol:  Wouldn't be a MadModder if I did that.

SteveT:
Nice work Joules, very satisfying to make a component that joins new and old parts  :thumbup:, and also impresses the wife  :beer:

awemawson:
 :lol: Bonkers :lol:

And I thought it was only me doing silly things like that  :ddb:

nrml:
Thanks for writing that up. Loved it! It is very satisfying to get one up on commercial giants who unfairly (IMO) try to force you to buy more of their stuff. I would be raising my glass to you if i had a drink in hand :beer:.

RobWilson:
Nice one Joules  :thumbup: 

Next you will be printing the complete hoover  :lol:

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version