Author Topic: 3D Printed Quorn Tool & Cutter Grinder  (Read 73159 times)

Offline nrml

Re: 3D Printed Quorn Tool & Cutter Grinder
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2016, 05:56:57 PM »
I've been pondering the tightening mechanism options ever since you first mentioned them and I wonder if a taper bush system like pulley mounts on motor shafts might work in plastic / polycarbonate. Large thumb screws (possibly printed ones) would enable fairly quick adjustment although it wouldn't be as quick as with a single locking point. But would that be a reasonable trade off for more even pressure distribution?

Offline Joules

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2016, 04:20:50 AM »
Not so great results from last nights prints.  The top layer delaminated when I removed the print from the 3M tape I print it on, it just gripped too well, maybe I also had a problem with high humidity considering the weather.  Next snag, though not unexpected, the numerals and graticules are almost lost in the noise.  They have printed too small and surrounded by ripple in some cases I have 3 10second marks !!!   So not a roaring success, but the rest of the print has turned out OK

The fit of parts is pretty well spot on, a tight fit for the triangular key.  Once I weld it in and seal the edges, the top will get a coat of sanding seal to smooth it and keep the dust from working its way into the surface.

nrml, with hindsight I should have started just printing tubes and fasteners to work out what worked best and sizes to accommodate the various fits, but where's the fun in that.  I have also learned that thick wall prints don't have the same tolerance as the thin wall stuff I normally print, but overall it does seem consistent so I can work with that.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline nrml

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:29 AM »
Igus are doing a 3D printing filament for motion applications. I thought it might be something that might be useful on this project. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/3d-printing-materials/8686895/

Offline Joules

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2016, 11:17:18 AM »
Nose back against the grindstone, so personal projects have ground to a halt.   Thanks nrml, I have seen the Igus filament BUT, at £265.20 kg  I will stick with PLA (£20.00 kg) and if needed machine Delrin inserts.  The Igus offering is great for the big boys, but being a little fish I would just buy in whatever size sleeve bearing they make and design around that.

Offline hanermo

« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2016, 03:58:08 PM »
Fantastic thread !
Great work.

I am very interested in actual results.

Offline Joules

« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
Ahhh, its only taken about 6 months to get back to this project.  Work has slowed a bit and I got some workshop time for my own stuff.  Last time I had been thinking about making a reamer for the 3D prints in order to get the front bar inserted.  That idea got turned on its head, and I decided to machine the bar.

At this point I wished I had picked up a travelling steady for the Myford whilst I was at the Doncaster show.  I made a superb elongated lobed barrel...   :palm:

Good job this is my time...  Out with the wet and dry, using 3in1 oil as lube,  I have many hours of fun polishing it to size.  All is not lost, as my 3D print bores are also elliptical so the bar fits in two places.

I used Sharpie on the bar to transfer the high spots.  I can now scrape the internal bore of the print to better match the bar, old technique modern materials.  Why aren't I machining these ?   Well, they are hard to hold and flexible, tools can too easily dig in.   It would have been better to design the part fit better from the start   :)   Now where's the fun in that...

The bar fits and is a loose in the ends.  I can overcome this to some degree when I print the dust shields that fit on the prints and they can be classed as consumable items.

I'm pleased with how it's going the parts so far take only a few days to print.  Corrections and modifications to drawings are quick and easy depending what materials you have on hand.

The scraping tools work great by the way, just a tad more aggressive, so work gently.

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2016, 04:34:06 AM »
Loving this thread  :scratch: it's as mad as a box of frogs  :clap: :clap: I can't wait for the part where you print the motor  :lol: :lol:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Joules

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2016, 04:52:37 AM »
Funny you should mention printing the motor.....

It's only any good for REALLY light grinding....

Hand scraping took only a few minutes, wish I had thought about it yesterday.  Now a nice sliding fit on the bar, the cheap scraper tools I used are shown in the picture.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
Joules:

I really like your print quality.  I particularly admire the crispness of the printed text, how big is it?  What printer are you using and what are you using for a layer thickness when you print your parts?  I believe that you said some of those parts were 24 hour prints, what is your typical print speed?

At this point I'm still just dreaming of getting parts like those.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline Joules

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
Don, most of your questions are answered further back in the thread.  Longest print I think was 14hrs, nothing printed overnight usually started in the morning and removed it in the evening.  Minimum reliable text is >3mm.  Layers are a combination of 0.1-0.15mm depending on detail required (text etc)

Print speed is generally 50mm/s.   My printer is now discontinued but a good replacement I got some hands on time with is the Wanhao Duplicator 6  It's a new model along the lines of the Zortrax M200 but half the price.   It might also be worth pointing out my preferred software for slicing and printing is Simlify3D.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Thanks Joules.  I skimmed through the thread, but I must have skimmed it too fast and missed the info.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2016, 07:44:22 AM »
I am enjoying this thread, particularly since I just got a 3d printer a week ago and you are inspiring me to do better things with it. I am amazed at what is possible with these hobby class machines.

Now, I really need to learn a drawing package.

Tom

Offline Joules

« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »
Your welcome Tom, this particular project gets attention as and when, so no idea when it will get completed.  It has been a great teaching aid for me also, as the design and prints are challenging.  My intention will be to use the knowledge I learn here in other desktop 3D printed machinery applications.

It may get another big splurge of time around Christmas, when I have a few weeks off. 

Some good FREE (for now) 3D CAD software about, i.e Fusion360
Since I do this work professionally as well, I avoid Cloud based apps like the plague.  Always save your work in a format that can be transferred to other CAD packages, or bite the bullet and buy something outright.  That way you make a solid commitment to learn that package.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2016, 07:22:05 AM »

That idea got turned on its head, and I decided to machine the bar.
At this point I wished I had picked up a travelling steady for the Myford whilst I was at the Doncaster show.  I made a superb elongated lobed barrel...   :palm:

Now there could be a useful project, a printed travelling steady  :bugeye:

I have one but I also made a tool that clamped into the tool holder and had a hole drilled in the end with a cutter held in place with a grub screw so that a long workpiece could be passed through the hole.  Basically a travelling steady with a built in cutter.  You can get a very consistent diameter over a long length this way.

Anyway it looks like your project is progressing nicely.  I'm watching with interest.
Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
How's the build coming?  Any chance of uploading models to Thingiverse or similar?
I just bought a 90% done Quorn, and I'm planning to print a new belt guard without the giant capacitor tomb built in it...

FYI, TheBloughs' models can be imported into Sketchup, but it looks like you've modified/improved things for printing.

Offline Joules

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2018, 09:12:28 AM »
I can tell you all one thing...  Not a spot of rust on the Quorn, anywhere.  Hmmm 2yrs seem to have gone by.  Quite a bit happened here to push this on the backburner.   As stated at the very start it was more an adventure in 3D printing.  It proved the idea that a casting could be replaced with a well designed 3D print in light load applications.  Moving ever further from the bars with the part to be sharpened has proven to be more of an issue due to flexing in the thinner parts.  This also means resonance from the motor is an issue due to low mass and little damping.  I would like to get back to this design especially now I have more experience 3D printing rigid structures under my belt.  Just don’t hold your breath on it being soon.

The design I’m afraid won’t be made publicly available, but by all means follow my lead and put your own spin on it.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »
Joules,  A technique you might look at is filling the cavities with something.  The resulting composite is likely to have more damping than the plastic.  I could see pouring in really fine sand, or runny epoxy.  If you go the epoxy way, you should check the coefficient of thermal expansion and make sure its not too far from the plastic.  Otherwise, it will walk around with temperature.
I've got my own Quorn now, and I'm quite happy with my 3D printed alignment jig!