Author Topic: Pretending to be a Luthier  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Imagineering

Pretending to be a Luthier
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:32:27 AM »
A bit of research then a short Project to test my skills over the break.

It's a contemporary version of a Turkish Kemence, a small Violin held either between the Knees or atop one Knee and bowed horizontally.

This is my first attempt at a Musical Instrument.

Base is European Beech, Finger & PegBoards are PurpleHeart, SoundBoard is Cedar.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.808696622609659.1073741832.789244081221580&type=3

Offline SteveT

Re: Pretending to be a Luthier
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:27 AM »
That looks a very interesting project and well done, will be interesting to hear what it sounds like when you have finished it.
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 10:38:26 AM »
Imagineering, I know a teensy bit about luthiering having built a Ukelele and read a book on classical guitar making. Also I once made a squared off cello that had a much better tone than it deserved. I have two questions. Was the original  Kemence carved from the solid and how does it sound?

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:37:54 AM »
Here's a short Video of a Traditional Turkish Luthier building a Kemence in the traditional manner, (no CNC).

As far as sound goes, (I can't play a Bowed Instrument), my local Music Shop owner had a play with the Fishing Line Strings, and it's not too bad. The only issue it has, is that the curve on the Bridge needs to be of a smaller radius. Proper Strings will happen shortly. I don't think he would thank me for putting the Video up.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 06:30:24 PM »
Thank you for that video. It makes me want to try another stringed instrument. I can't play but it is satisfying to make the attempt.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:47:55 PM by NormanV »