Author Topic: Back to the old ways.  (Read 3739 times)

Offline DavidA

Back to the old ways.
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:37 AM »
I have noticed recently that Dominos Pizza have started using sandwich board men to advertize their products. There are half a dozen at strategic points in the town.

A low tech approach, and it certainly draws your attention.

I suppose these guys are on minimum wage. Soon to be, or so I understand, £9 per hour.

So, not a bad little earner if you can't find anything else. Certainly gives you time to contemplate the meaning of the Universe etc.

But, the outside air temperature here is 3C. and it is a dank, clammy cold atmosphere with a light but chill breeze.

I don't know how many hours these people have to spend mooching around, but I'm sure glad I don't have to do it.

Dave.

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
Re: Back to the old ways.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 12:06:38 PM »
Here the tax preparers have traditionally used sign spinners also. This Year must be rough times as they are using a mannequin.
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »
There's a pizza place in a town near me that employs (I hope) a very happy but rather "simple" looking young man to toss around a large advertising sign.  Rain or shine, he always looks happy.  You can't help but wave back when he waves at you.

You might say that it's degrading, but without knowing all the details you might also say that it gives the guy some money he otherwise wouldn't have.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:09 AM »
Dominoes about three mile away closest have been doing that since 2010. One junction with lights they use not less than 4, there from pre 7.30am and still there at turned 5.40pm still prime campaigning time. Same ones there all day and usually run all week. No slacking, always miserable though wearing the boards shields from the rain and can pop in to the woods to relieve themselves.

Just before Christmas was the last advertising and always wondered whether the dole forces them in to taking it.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 04:30:14 PM »
...always wondered whether the dole forces them in to taking ...

I suspect that they may be employed by an agency.

Many years ago, when I was in between jobs,  I signed on with the Rotherwoods agency. Although It was made quite clear that I was looking for a job in engineering, they tried to make me go out delivering leaflets.

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »
... delivering leaflets ... oh yes, done my share of that. When I'd just bought my Launderettes but was still in full time work, I wanted to grow their business by having leaflets delivered to every house in their catchment areas. I was going to employ an agency, until I saw a stack of someone else's  leaflets chucked in a bin - obviously a short cut to finishing early for someone  :( So every evening for weeks I tramped the streets exploring peoples letter boxes - you'd be surprised how snappy some are  :bugeye:

... delivered 10,000 leaflets eventually ... trade increased by 30% for over a year  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex