Author Topic: Hi there from yet another newbie  (Read 7291 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Hi there from yet another newbie
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:09:15 PM »
Hello there, I found this forum from a link over on HMEM where I've been mostly lurking for the last year. I am a relative newbie at engineering, I have a Seig x2 mini-mill and a Seig C2 mini-lathe which I'm just about getting used to.

I haven't made much yet, I've just been "playing" with the lathe and mill to try and get a handle on this engineering lark. I've made a couple of machine mods, a gas-spring-lift-thingy for the mill, a ball turner for the lathe (I need to rebuild it though). Mod's on the to-do list; Bogs vice stop, Belt-drive convertion for the mill, Brass gibs on lathe and mill, ER32 collet chuck for the lathe, fly cutter ( I dont have one yet and am scared to get one until the belt-drive mod is done as these X2 mills have fragile gears ), and then everything else I see on here and HMEM!!

I've downloaded and printed out Bogstandards "Paddleducks" engine plan book, and am gathering up some supplies to try my hand at my 1st real project. I dont know if I'm biting off more than I could chew but I'm thinking of adding ball-bearings to the bearing blocks for the crankshaft. I'm hoping to build it out of mainly brass and 303 stainless, hopefully it'll make a nice contrast of metals.

I'm hoping to get my belt-drive convertion done before starting the Paddleducks engine so I can use a fly cutter to prepare the stock.

Anyway, that's all I can think to say apart from thanks for having me, and while I am not the most frequent poster (as I have no experience yet and havent started any real projects) I hope to be able to share my learning experiences and gain from the collective wealth of experience and wisdom here.

Tim
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 03:11:14 PM by spuddevans »
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Hi there from yet another newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
Hello and welcome from another newbie on here! Haven`t got a mill yet and the X2 looks excellent value... hummm interesting. I`m sure you`ll find everyone on here very helpful and firendly!

Chris

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
Hi there Tim

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I have both of those machines. For the price (and a little tuning), I am very impressed with what you get.

Bogs engine I feel is a good project. Master those skills needed for the project and you will be well on your way. We look foward to a project log from you.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

We look foward to a project log from you.
I intend to make a build log as I progress, I also plan on doing a build log on the belt-drive convertion too. I've got a 3" lump of ali on the way that I hope to hack a couple of V pulleys out of for the belt drive.

Tim

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
Hi Tim

Welcome aboard   :headbang: sounds like you've been doing a fair bit of research, thats good  :thumbup: I think I spend three times as much time thinking  :scratch: about a project than I do actualy doing it,  :hammer: that's what makes such a great hobby.  :D

Look forward to seeing your projects progress and don't forget if your stuck on anything just ask.

Have fun

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »
sounds like you've been doing a fair bit of research, thats good  :thumbup: I think I spend three times as much time thinking  :scratch: about a project than I do actualy doing it,  :hammer: that's what makes such a great hobby.  :D

Thanks for the welcome, Yea I spend a lot of time reading about how to do something before ever attempting to try it myself. That's the great thing about a forum like this, there are so many "Build" and "project" logs that you can read how someone else has done something, it's like you can learn from their experience without ever actually physically meeting them, it's amazing!!

Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
Welcome Tim.

I have noticed you on another site, and that is no bad thing, the more sites you look around, the more you learn, or the more confused you get.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in being a newbie, we all had to start somewhere (well most of us have, others seem to think they came out of the womb with a vernier in their hands, ready to go, but they have a bad habit of trying to walk on water, and finding that they sink), and that is where we come in. Giving you the help, support and sometimes the correct directions to go in.

You are going about it the right way, getting the required info, chewing it over and then making your decisions.

If it was me, I personally would make a simple engine to start with, say an easy wobbler that will only take a few days to make. If you have no problems with that, not only does it give you confidence to go for a more complex project, but it gives the instant 'feel good' factor that we all crave for. From then on it gets serious, and you are hooked.

One thing we can't teach you is having a sense of humour. You will need a lot of that, we on here have a real wicked streak, and will extract the urine as much as we can.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »
Welcome Tim. :wave:

Experience and projects should not keep you from posting. Nobodys going to get upset if you have questions or just want to run an idea by some of the more expereinced memebers. If they do get upset the Mods will give them a freindly  :poke: or  :wack: and a  :hammer: if they really need it.

So welcome to the collective as we like to say.  :borg:

Here's hoping you get  :proj:, Oh ya, from your post it looks like you already have it.  :nrocks:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 04:27:36 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

If it was me, I personally would make a simple engine to start with, say an easy wobbler that will only take a few days to make.

That makes sense, any recomendations for what simple ( and hopfully free plans  :dremel: ) wobbler to go for?

One thing we can't teach you is having a sense of humour. You will need a lot of that, we on here have a real wicked streak, and will extract the urine as much as we can.
Having looked (or lurked) here for some time before registering, I love the humour here, and feel free to
extract as much urine
as you can cos I'm full of it  :lol:  :lol:

Tim

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 05:00:30 AM »
Hi Tim,

Here is a very good starter one, it will tax your mind a little, but you should have no problems making it. Just make the engine bit.

http://www.john-tom.com/ElmersEngines/25_26_Wobbler&Boiler.pdf

Or go to the bottom of the page on here, and you will find all sorts of engines you can play about with, most made up from bits of welding rod and other junk.

http://npmccabe.tripod.com/steam.htm

There is no need to stick with the overall look, as long as the pivot points and ports are in the correct orientation to each other, it should work.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
Tim,

Elmers #25 Wobbler was my first engine build. A fun engine to make and very easy.

But there are lots of choices out there.

Regards
Bernd

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Bogs,

Tim,

Elmers #25 Wobbler was my first engine build. A fun engine to make and very easy.

But there are lots of choices out there.

Regards
Bernd

I'm leaning towards that one myself. Does anyone forsee any problems as I dont yet have any silver solder gear, I just have low temp solder. I notice from the plans that there seems only to be one SS joint on it in the cylinder pivot pin, could I locktite it instead? or would the low temp (plumbers stuff) solder do?

Tim

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
Tim,

I didn't use any type of solder or Loctite. I made the hole a press fit for the pin. Hasn't fallen out yet.

I did a build sequence and have it on my web site at The Model Engine Shop

Enjoy.

Bernd

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Thanks Bernd, that link gives me a good reference to read over.

Tim

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
Welcome Tim,

It`s nice `ere......  :wave:

Get stuck in and enjoy it!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 05:46:13 AM »
Tim,

Once and if you get that under your belt, you will then have a good idea if that sort of project suits you. If it doesn't suit you, then very little lost, and you can look for another direction to take your machining to.

But if it does strike a spark, then watch out, you will end up with a projects list that will be continually growing, with never a hope of getting them all done.

Bogs

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
Tim,

I lied.  :doh: I did solder the pivot pin into the cylinder. I forgot about that one. I used regular soft solder. Since you aren't going to run the engien with hi temps soft solder will work just fine.

Bernd

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 08:47:14 AM »
Thanks David D.

Bogs, I appreciate your advice to start on a smaller project before investing a lot of time and poss' sickening myself, I can see the wisdom in that so I'm gonna try for elmers #25.  :headbang:

Tim,

I lied.  :doh: I did solder the pivot pin into the cylinder. I forgot about that one. I used regular soft solder. Since you aren't going to run the engien with hi temps soft solder will work just fine.

Bernd

I've been studying the plans and it seems to me that a solution might be to bore the pivot-pin hole a bit shallower so as not to break through into the cylinder and just loctite it? Or maybe I'll just soft-solder it.

Me thinks I need to get some silver solder and flux.

I dont plan on actually running it on steam, it'll just ( hopefully  :scratch: ) run off the compressor.

Tim
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:53:02 AM by spuddevans »

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 02:41:14 AM »
Welcome Tim!

Sorry for the delay.. been offline a couple weeks.

I too need to get myself working on a wobbler :)  Make my first real engine.   :dremel:

(Well not really.. I have made quite a few full size ones.. but not from scratch)

Scott
SPiN Racing