Author Topic: Show us your T&C grinder set ups  (Read 21405 times)

Offline RotarySMP

Re: Show us your T&C grinder set ups
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »
Yesterday I case hardened the replacement setting bar slide (sorry no photo), using the method and recipe in the excellent Clickspring video...
&t=139s

I heated the clay package in the furnace till it started glowing, and then another half hour, so I hope there is a deep enough skin of Martensite to still have a hard surface after surface grinding from the current 6.18mm down to the final 5.78mm dimension.

Ground another lathe bit. This is so easy, I can see all my lathe bits haveing defined radius's soon.
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2018, 01:22:16 AM »
This is shakey video of my home brew cutter grinder its just cobbled together from a X-Y table a myford vertical slide and a bench grinder the holder/indexer is made using a straight shank ER 32 collet holder it works well for me.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2018, 03:54:36 AM »

Very interesting, Stew!

Actually your set up seems little different to both the Clarkson and the Stent. The only real difference is that both machines had/have a pivoting top to off set for tapers.  I have both a Clarkson and a Stent but the Quorn has an integral rotary table which is capable of tilting in 360 degrees.

The nice feature is that it does not need spanners but today, there are these Bristol clamps which are fairly inexpensive and available.

I've a set which came on my Chinese Beijing Deckel affair which I am sort of shaking hands with in my spare time.

Thanks for posting

Norm

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 03:09:17 AM »
Drill sharpening is a doddle set the universal head to 31 degrees set the base at 90 and the slide to 8 or 10 for the cutting edge then 25 for the relief , for the next drill do the relief first and so on ,

Well you sure are right about that being a doddle. Won't bother using the wobbly chinese drill grinding jig anymore, except for drills too big to fit into my ER 16 and ER32 collets.

I was out lending a pair of hand while my mate was straightening a motorbike frame, and then he sharpened my countersinks on his TOS BN-102 with the Haller spiral grinding attachment. Grabbed a couple of frames of that amazing device. We believe it has conical friction wheels for setting any lead angle from -90-0-90°. Amazing device. The whole set up makes the Clarkson seem like a cheap chinese tool :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:29:38 AM by RotarySMP »
Mark

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 06:30:21 AM »
Bit of Netrophillia here.

I made a chamfer cutter with the Clarkson, so figured I'd link the video here.

Mark