Author Topic: Belt Sander 2000x50 / 72"x2"  (Read 16112 times)

RobWilson

Belt Sander 2000x50 / 72"x2"
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
Evening Chaps   

It being to cold for shop work in the evenings ,especially when one has been out in the cold and wet all day .I thought I would make a start on my belt sander project ,

I have just about all the materials about 95%  . The last to arrive was the VFD and the 2.2Kw 2800rpm flange mount motor .

I bummed a wee bit of 180 mm dia  ally bar to make the drive pulley and a larger contact wheel from .

And these  are some of those belts that are  toxic to North Americans    :)  , I hear Marmite and Vegemite are also banned LOL ( I personally love the stuff )

The wheels  I probably will not use , I plan to make my own ,part of  that missing 5% is rubber    :D

So the design so far , this is still very much a work in progress as I have a lot of ideas to flesh out .

The flat platen .

Done a wee bit work on the three contact wheel head and the larger 8" contact wheel designs .

The yellow line depicts the belt path ,the various ways it can be laced .

The above will have  70mm,100mm and 130mm rubber contact wheels .

Cheers Rob     :beer:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Belt Sander 2000x50 / 72"x2"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 04:13:45 PM »
Brilliant Rob - been watching this on Metalworkingfun  :thumbup:

But really you don't NEED to make it. You have a VIRTUAL model of it so you can sand VIRTUALLY ANYTHING  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »
Looks good Rob.... :thumbup:

But we need to see the finished sander... :worthless:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good one Andrew   :Doh:

It may be a while before completion John  :poke:

As this project  is just infill for now ,though I may as well do some design work now as  once the weather warms up a tad I will be back on with the forge and Student Lathe  :dremel: 

Do any of you chaps with a rubber fetishes know of a good supplier of two part urethane ?  2 -5 Kg quantities .    I have used a supplier in Ireland a few times in the past (a good supplier ), just looking for a UK supplier just to save on the P&P.   

Cheers Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
Just a note for those looking for a VFD  at a very reasonable price it may be worth contacting our very own Mr John Rudd  ( the one from near Hull )  :thumbup:   

He supplied mine for this project  :zap:

Rob

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:14:22 PM »
I notice that the belts are not for sale in North Amercia.

So North Americans should be in the clear.

Dave. :D

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
O/T Re: Belt Sander 2000x50 / 72"x2"
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 03:12:01 AM »
I notice that the belts are not for sale in North Amercia.

So North Americans should be in the clear.

Dave. :D

Well, if that's meant to mean the North of Mercia then Rob (and roughly anyone North of the M62) is OK - but J.S. won't be able to buy them!

Dave M

RobWilson

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:43 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: I am  safe as  I am North  of Hadrians Wall  :thumbup:   

Rob

Offline velocette

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
Hi Rob
Good basic ideas for a belt sander one detail that needs consideration is  tracking the abrasive band as the idlers will wear unevenly.
The front idler pulley will remove more metal with diagonal slots in the tyre .
Suggest   that you do not run the abrasive side of the belt on the tyres .

keep posting
Eric

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 04:36:01 PM »
This will be interesting i just finished my second version of a belt grinder. =)
Time to make knifes? =)

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
i like the idea of the gas strut Neo Tech, does that provide the sole belt tension ? I am assuming Robs would prob run a compressoin spring inside the square tubing of the main arm?,

John

RobWilson

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
Looking good Neo  :thumbup:

Hi Rob
Good basic ideas for a belt sander one detail that needs consideration is  tracking the abrasive band as the idlers will wear unevenly.
The front idler pulley will remove more metal with diagonal slots in the tyre .
Suggest   that you do not run the abrasive side of the belt on the tyres .

keep posting
Eric

Hi Eric

"A good basic idea "  , lets see yours

The tracking wheel and ajuster still needs to be designed as they are  clearly not in the photos , and yes there are many different  types of contact wheel for different finishes and rates of stock removal.

why I should not run the belt abrasive side on the rubber ?     

Cheers Rob

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:57:52 PM by RobWilson »

RobWilson

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
i like the idea of the gas strut Neo Tech, does that provide the sole belt tension ? I am assuming Robs would prob run a compressoin spring inside the square tubing of the main arm?,

John

Nope gas strut , unless I can invent a way to have that unattached tracking wheel in the photo suspended  free in mid air lol

Rob

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
Rob,
I was thinking this may be my next project when I finish the die filer.  Looks like you beat me to it...Suppose I better wait a few months before I start mine so I can nick your ideas.

Tuned in. :drool:

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 06:00:55 PM »
The abrasive side against the rubber is bad idea. Even if the wheel just rotates with the belt it tends to eat em for some reason.

I'm working on a tube attachment letting me cut notches and angles in tubes, and the tube your cutting against is used as the tool for the belt, just  let the belt run against bare metal in those cases.

And regarding the gas strut, yeah, you need about 30lbs to get the damn belts to track properly, and that strut there is a 20kg one, i adjust how much pressure the belt has by adjusting the stickout on the tool arm. But struts isnt that progressive in the tensioning they differ like a kilo or so between bottoming out and about a centimeter of compression.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 06:07:19 PM »
The tracking is not that hard to make, its just a box with a "flapper" that the axle for the tracking attaches to, i havent found any better way of doing it (and this is my 3rd iteration). Overall a more stable design than mine you have there anyway.. i just use 3mm sheets bolted to aluminium blocks, and the motor is the support point for the whole contraption. Cuz the sheet is so damn flimsy.

RobWilson

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
My bad I should have waited until the design was complete .   :Doh:

As this reminds me of an old saying .    "women and children should never see a job half done "   :lol: :lol:

I dont see a problem with running grit side to rubber , many do , as  all I will need to do when it gets worn out  is turn the worn out rubber off the wheel , re mount wheel in mould , fill mould with rubber , jobs a good one   :thumbup:  , I work in an industry that uses Urethane wheels /tyres  a lot on concrete ,all weathers , carrying many Tonnes   and they are very robust lasting years .

And to get a true profile ( 180 degrees ) for a tube notch  of say a 1 inch tube the belt does need some assistance .  Then there is the time it takes to cut the notch , say 30s to 60s  not long , so I reckon I will get a fair few notches out of a set of guide wheels .

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:23:11 AM by RobWilson »

RobWilson

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 06:28:03 AM »
Rob,
I was thinking this may be my next project when I finish the die filer.  Looks like you beat me to it...Suppose I better wait a few months before I start mine so I can nick your ideas.

Tuned in. :drool:

Hi Andrew

Or you could start your build then I could steal your ideas  :lol:  :lol: , I cant see me actually starting on the build for a month or so ,it's just in the planning stage .  :smart:

Cheers Rob 

Offline Country Bubba

• LaGrange, GA USA
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:38 AM »
My bad I should have waited until the design was complete .   :Doh:

As this reminds me of an old saying .    "women and children should never see a job half done "   :lol: :lol:

Rob,
Speaking for myself, I like to see the design thought process such as your doing here.  :coffee: It is more stimulating and progress/changes give thought to my own projects as they may apply.   :hammer:

I look forward to each iteration of this design and hope you continue to show us.

Art
Country Bubba

Offline hermetic

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2016, 10:59:30 AM »
Do you know Rob, looking at your latest project got me thinking, I have a large cast iron floor stand with a three phase motor on it, and a belt drive to a spindle, which at the moment has a 3 jaw chuck on it. I was told it had been used as a buffing head. I am just thinking that it would make the basics of a two belt linisher, which is something I haven't got!! Thanks for the inspiration!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline nrml

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 01:31:57 PM »
This is one of the best belt sander designs I've come across. The combination of compactness and multi-functionality  is outstanding. I am sure it will end up as one of the most copied belt sander designs around the world in the years to come.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Did i just find your divine inspiration..
 :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

RobWilson

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Cheers for the comments Lads  :beer: but I can't take credit for the ideas shown so far  as it's all been done before  :dremel:

Google image is your friend  :)

Did i just find your divine inspiration..
 :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Nope !   :lol:    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCKnifeMakingGrinders.htm   :thumbup:

Cheers Rob

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Does anybody has this post with pictures printed in PDF. All pictures gone, all but one link dead and clearly plenty on information....I'm considering build one belt sander.

Pekka

Offline krv3000

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
 :D :)