Author Topic: Hello from Bristol UK  (Read 6237 times)

Offline George Konstantinidis

Hello from Bristol UK
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:38:59 AM »
Hello all,

My name is George. A professional and hobby engineer mainly interested in CNC and motorbikes. My workshop isn't as great as I would like it to be but I have a CNC Knee mill, a dinky lathe all the hand tools I need and a TIG/MMA welder. Mainly been hanging around on the MyCNCUK forum and only came across MM after AMawson posted over there.

This is a short video I took of my KRV2000 knee mill shortly after converting the x and y axes. It is now 3D capable.
[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/M_VAXZbv6hc[/embed]

Started with the KRV as I wanted to improve up my Chester lux conversion and the little dinky lathe:
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbEzZo76BDo[/embed]
[embed=425,349]Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmZ-179KAUw[/embed]

Mainly been focusing on making bits for my bikes and a few select clients and also do a bit or engineering retail on the side which is a venture I started with my brother. All the while I work full time for a multinational. The girlfriend is very understanding :beer:

Some of the bits I have made have gone into this drone:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2076536-first-flight-of-hydrogen-powered-drone-with-water-vapour-exhaust/

I hope to be able to chip in with engineering and machining knowledge.

Regards

George

Offline Joules

Re: Hello from Bristol UK
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:14:44 AM »
Hello George, love the hydrogen powered drone. 
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »
Hi George,welcome, glad that I tempted you across  :thumbup:

All sorts of useful things going on here with many interesting contributors.

By the way, get the handles on you KRV isolatable from the shafts with dog clutches PDQ before there is an accident  :bugeye:

(I caught my workshop coat pocket on the handle of my manual Bridgeport and only got to the off switch by tearing the coat   :bang: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:12 AM »
George,

Welcome.

And yes, do something about the shafts.

Some time back I had to do a lot of hand traversing of the table on our works Cleveland mill.
It was very tiring having to hold the wheel 'in gear' against it's spring. So I found a big washer that would hold it in.
All went well until I forgot and engaged the power feed.

Luckily my hands were not in the way when the wheel and it's sticky out handle began rotating at great speed.

I never did that again.

Dave.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys.

The handles are the safety type just not with bearings so the speed you see on them is only due to friction. They have a dog clutch inside them that is held apart by springs. (I say as much in the youtube description which does not carry across when embedding.)

I now have some good reading to do on all the subforums.....I hope I can find the time to sift through some bulk tonight.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
There'll be a written test in the morning  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mfletch

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
Hi and welcome can you please tell me what servo you used to take the head up and down as I've got a very similar mill and fed, up winding the head up and down

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 02:13:00 PM »
Hi mfletch,

the motor is not a servo, it is a Nema34 Stepper motor with a 3-1 ratio. It worked well. Originally though my Chester Super Lux, came with a geared motor that works off main voltage. I still have it along with all the hardware to mount it. You add a dog clutch arrangement to the top end of the screw and the motor fits to it.

Another option I saw on Mycncuk I think was to use a cordless drill with an adapter on the hand crank.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline mfletch

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25:31 PM »
Hi mfletch,

the motor is not a servo, it is a Nema34 Stepper motor with a 3-1 ratio. It worked well. Originally though my Chester Super Lux, came with a geared motor that works off main voltage. I still have it along with all the hardware to mount it. You add a dog clutch arrangement to the top end of the screw and the motor fits to it.

Another option I saw on Mycncuk I think was to use a cordless drill with an adapter on the hand crank.

Cheers I may make an Adaptor or look for the standard electric motor the crank angle is a pain