Author Topic: Me hobber  (Read 6861 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Me hobber
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:12:50 PM »
Three or fours weeks ago my E-Lec-Tronic hobbing machine which is thinly disguised as a Victoria U2 mill gave up the ghost and something inside it's black box brain failed.

Anyway also a while ago I saw a video on You tube where Andy Pugh set a mill up as a hobbing machine by using Linux CNC as the operating system. So not speaking Linix I asked a friendly geek to do the same for me for the day that this thing failed which he did.

Fast forward and it took me a while to get all the bits sorted and into a box and with some more help from said geek, up and running.

Once everything was neatly tucked away yesterday it was time for a test run.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvSa6BO9wGQ

Magic.

Close of play tonight, 37 pairs of Myford metric translation gears for the S7 or ML7 with gearbox.

John Stevenson

Offline kayzed1

Re: Me hobber
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
So do i NEED a set of those gears then!!! :coffee:
Lyn.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:53 PM »
You do if you have the Myford fitted with a gearbox.

Normally to cut metric threads on the gearbox model you have to but a full metric kit which is about 11 gears and new banjo and then swap it all over. Cut your thread and swap it all back.

However if you swap the 24T driver gear for either a 33 or 34 and select a thread on the box from a chart you can cut all the popular metric threads with a very slight error, not enough to make any difference unless you are working for NASA. In fact the genuine Myford conversion set also work to an error as they use a 63 T gear as a translation gear and only a 127 will give accurate results with no error
John Stevenson

Offline PK

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
I helped my friend Dave a mate set up something similar, you don't even need a PC to do basic hobbing. Just a servo drive that can take a step and direction input and do scaling.

I think he ended up slaving X to Y so that he could cut helicals too..  Cleaver guy is Dave!

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:13:10 AM »

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Heavy metal version of Tower of Hanoi anyone?

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

Normally to cut metric threads on the gearbox model you have to but a full metric kit which is about 11 gears and new banjo and then swap it all over. Cut your thread and swap it all back.

However if you swap the 24T driver gear for either a 33 or 34 and select a thread on the box from a chart you can cut all the popular metric threads with a very slight error, not enough to make any difference unless you are working for NASA. In fact the genuine Myford conversion set also work to an error as they use a 63 T gear as a translation gear and only a 127 will give accurate results with no error

How much and where to please..
Lyn.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »

How much and where to please..
Lyn.

PM sent.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
Really nice John - good setup! Just purely out of interest and I`m not going to pretend to understand the electronic/computer setup, could this only be achieved with LinuxCNC or could you use Mach3?

By the way, hell of a lot of gears for one myford  ;-)

Nice one.