Author Topic: 3D Printing onwards and upwards.  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Joules

3D Printing onwards and upwards.
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
This was a rush job as the 15m bore scope camera I ordered should have arrived a couple of days ago.  The chimney had a blockage when I swept it the other day, not major but enough to think we may have a problem.  As cheap bore scopes are, well, CHEAP!!!  I ordered one. and designed a carrier for the camera to fit on the end of my cleaning rods.

The print took a couple of hours, and the yellow spacers are strimmer line.  This morning it was all fitted together and shoved up the chimney.

The camera quality is pretty awful, supposed to support HD but the focus is something like 2-6" and the inbuild leds blind the camera.  However I was able to confirm the liner is still attached to the cowl, and that the liner isn't torn as it would have ripped up the spacers.  I just couldn't get a view of the possible kink in the liner.

Best view I got at the top of the chimney.  I tried to open the camera up to adjust the focus but suspect they glue them together to keep it watertight.  Might try printing another carrier that angles the camera over and try again.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline DavidA

Re: 3D Printing onwards and upwards.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
In the old days one could simply have sent a small boy down with a torch.

Sadly, times change. HSE depriving  the young of gainful employment.

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »
In the old days one could simply have sent a small boy down with a torch.

Sadly, times change. HSE depriving  the young of gainful employment.

Dave.

Painful more likely.

i'd guess it would also fit into a 110 drain pipe ?  Nice application Joules  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
Good effort Joules.  I recall various attempts to clean and unblock chimneys in the past.  Being able to see what you were doing would always have helped.

Could you adjust the focus with an external lens - concave should increase the distance - steal specs from someone short sighted for a test.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:02:45 PM »
Cheers Russell, first thing I tried was my glasses over the lens.  I will keep an eye open for something suitable, be it christmas cracker magnifier etc.  Thanks guys, no doubt other uses shall be found for this setup, searching for lost ferrets and dogs    :lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.