Author Topic: Lockdown projects  (Read 3309 times)

Offline John Rudd

Lockdown projects
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:19:56 AM »
Thought I'd start a thread for us  to show off what we have been up to during lockdown...
Here's  mine, not workshop related but deserved of a mention....my extended drive, originally part of the 'garden' but covered in wild shrubs...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline modeng200023

Re: Lockdown projects
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »
Interesting how it gradually tirned upside-down.
Was that to check if the blocks were bedded properly?

:clap: John

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »
I thought maybe he moved from the Northern hemisphere where everything's upright, to the Southern hemisphere where everything has to be upside down.  He was just showing us his progress as he changed hemispheres.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline velocette

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:39:40 PM »
Hi John
Packed my bag and moved to New Zealand in 1963 Fortunately the bricks still stick on the ground and we do not have to walk around inverted.
Great job with the bricklaying. 

Eric

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »
John
Tidy job of the awkward acute corner. You could be running out of excuses not to mow the grass though. :)
Pete

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
This was one of my Couldujust jobs yesterday. At least the head gardener knew the approximate position where she wanted it. ;)
Not all the cable ties had been tightened...

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
Now that we've got a thread here too, not just in the Tinker's guild...

I've been wanting a proper metal cutting bandsaw, especially after hacksawing off s 4" SST pipe 8-(

So, after looking at about 8 million horizontal saws and 10^9 wood saws... I bought a wood saw.  It's a top of the line 18"er, from someone who apparently thinks that "230 volts" in RED is what comes out of the usual USA type outlet ;-)  gosh, no wonder it didnt run right!

Anyway, adding a second motor with 10:1 worm box on it for steel cutting ranges.  My junk attic contributed the big DC motor and drive.

It's just dummied in place there...

Had to custom grind the tool for the poly-v belt too.  My home-built tool grinder made short work of that!

More bullitens as events warrant!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline velocette

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 05:39:52 AM »
Hi
Project looking good with A DC  motor gearbox for cutting metal. Poly-Vee belts used for slow speeds are a good choice. Can I suggest that you can add extra contact area on the small pulley by the use of an idler pulley on the back of the belt. Added a photo of a wood bandsaw I converted to cut steel with occasional wood cutting.
Eric 

Offline chipenter

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
A friend gave me a tin of small Bristol Ericson collets , he succumbed to the virus after his funeral I felt that I had to make a holder for the collets , a blank end arbore was bored and threaded and a nut turned from a hydraulic ram pintle , I will index some slots for a c spanner and part off  tomorrow , each time I use the tool it will remind me of him .
Jeff

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
First powered flight!  Or at least rotation ;-)
I hooked up my porta-power and it runs!

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 09:13:14 PM »
Ok, so the #$$%^& table insert is not optional :-(
At least I got to cut a little steel before breaking my first blade.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »
I've been catching up with various projects but one that's been a bit difficult is mending a music box.  I'm not sure why I'm bothering - probably because I think things ought to work even if you don't use them.

It hasn't worked for at least 55 years, and there is part missing from the governor so I thought I'd try and make the missing part.  I had no illusions over how difficult this would be.  I don't have a drawing or a part to copy.  It is about 2.5mm diameter at the widest part and the pivots are 0.65mm in diameter.  It requires absolute minimum friction as it is a worm gear driven by a gear wheel.

I've had several failed attempts - the first photo shows three of my attempts, the second photo shows what I was trying to make.  I was hunting for a better picture when I came across photo 3 on a suppliers web site.  Apparently I could buy the missing part for $2.  I sent them an email.  Well it tuns out that's $2 for the part plus a $3.50 small order fee plus a $3.00 document & processing fee for an international order plus $16 for the postage.

Back to plan A!

Russell

Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
Ran out a pair of wheels,  threaded some heavy wall 1/2" tubing and bam, its thinking about being mobile!

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Lockdown projects - SIP rotary table index adapter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 05:12:02 AM »
I picked up a lovely SIP P1-2 (swiss made)  200mm rotary table a few weeks ago and have spent the last two long weekends adding an indexing adapter (i'm pretty sure SIP didn't make an adapter for this model , contrary to what Tony @ lathes says)

I have had a pair of double-sided index plates and brass fingers hanging around for a while and though they looked about the right size for the job.

The only way to attach the plates is to make a slide fit into the SIP's dial cover. The bronze tag on the left -back of the adapter is adjustable from the front via a tapered grub screw so the adapter can be locked against the fiducial marker quadrant (and no, this has nothing to do with me assuming the Swiss would obviously make the quadrant 90 degrees and machine out the section without measuring, then spending half-a-day machine a fiddly-arse bronze piece to fix the problem .. oh no I always meant it that way - cough cough)

The handle was a ********* I could only find unknownium stainless bar in my stock and when I put it all together it just stuck an galled up *&**&***!!!!!   so every thing had to come apart and have little fiddly-arse bronze bushes to keep the SS S*** apart. Oh and then the ****** only right sized spring I could find was cut too short by soneone when I wasn't looking so I had to make another fiddly-arse bronze spacer for that ...

Next task is to make a setting ball ...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:57:23 AM by BillTodd »
Bill

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
SIP rotary table setting pin:
Bill

Offline Joules

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 04:03:35 PM »
I like that Bill.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.