Author Topic: Alternative Kilns & Firing Techniques  (Read 2919 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Alternative Kilns & Firing Techniques
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:25:56 AM »
Alternative Kilns & Firing Techniques
By: James C Watkins & Paul Andrews Wandless
Lark Books Hard cover
ISBN#1-57990-455-6 copyright ©2004

With the diverse membership of this forum I thought this one might, be of interest if any need a larger kiln. This had a design that was for Raku. It is made from expanded metal sheet and insulation blanket. It is in the style of the top hat kiln.
It uses a a propane venturi burner. Nichrome wire to connect the expanded wire together.
I think that if a burner holding rack was made up, and you need a larger, longer forge you would be able to make one up.
Also somebody on another site was looking for a kiln type structure to do a controlled burn of different materials applied to a sculpture. To achieve a burned metal look like on cars and metal objects only with texture.

What also intrigued me was the info in the sections on glazes. They do contain some of the same things that are used for the patina's. It is a possibility that they or some modified glazes could work as a patina or finishing formula if the piece was heated all at once.

Well something else to add to the maybe someday list after the the to do and going to do lists are done.

It gives a good accounting of ceramics and the various techniques that the books covers. It will work to give a glimpse of ceramics and some of the finishes. If you are thinking of combo works.
Lots of color well done pictures of various artist work, drawings and tables along with the lists of materials for the different kilns.

local library may have it as ceramics is one of those crafts that they seem to have a lot of books on.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen