Author Topic: Help to make 80 year old machinist have a happy birthday  (Read 10157 times)

Offline micktoon

Help to make 80 year old machinist have a happy birthday
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
  Hi Lads,
               I have a special request to see if people would help make a fellow machinist's 80th Birthday a special one.  A friend of mine and John Doubleboost's called Stanley is 80 on this Sunday 14th Valentines day. He is a keen machinist and has been involved in making small steam engines of various types and has a nice well equiped workshop joined onto the back of his house.

Stanley's shed

Stanley is a genuine nice guy who does a shift in 'his shed' almost every day. Myself and John have been given various bits of tooling etc by Stanley and have also managed to get him various machines and tooling too as he is still improving his workshop at 79 yrs old lol.
  To show what type of person Stanley is. He has decided he will build two horizontal mill type engines as 'Get Well' gifts, one for John's wife Deb who as some will know is recovering from breast cancer treatment and the other for my partner Sarah who has also been very ill after emergency abdominal surgery just after new year, glad to say both our ladies are on the mend.  Stanley is supplying everything except the castings and will take no payment for the rest of the materials.

The engines will be similar to this one he has made from John's castings recently.

Stanley posts on a local forum to where he lives in the UK, showing what he gets up to in his shed and general matters of interest to his locality. I will post a link but only after his birthday as I don't want his surprise spoilt. Wendy who runs the forum Stanley frequents wants to do a surprise post for his birthday with as many people as possible sending in a photo saying happy birthday so when he logs on the morning of the 14th he will be surprised with a post about his 80th and photos of both people he knows and I hope fellow machinists from all over the place whishing him a happy 80th birthday.

We would like anyone who is willing, to send Wendy a photo before 9pm on 13th Feb UK time. Something like this.

Stanley is a big machine tool fan so a photo of either you standing at any machine you have with a sign , saying happy birthday Stanley, happy 80th Stanley or similar and maybe where you are from in the world. Or if you are a bit shy and do not want to be in the photo yourself just the sign hanging on a machine would do the job too. I am sure he would be chuffed to bits to see fellow machinists he has never met wishing him a happy 80th.
  He is doing a very kind and generous thing building two engines from scratch as 'get well' gifts so John and myself would like to try to surprise him on his 80th so anyone that can assist will be greately appreciated by us and I am sure Stanley too. Please send photos to wendy@lbhfarm.co.uk by 9pm GMT Sat 13th Feb so she can add it to their forum overnight ready for an unsuspecting young Stanley to log in in the morning of the 14th.
  Thank You to anyone that can help. 
   Cheers Mick & John.

Offline tom osselton

Re: Help to make 80 year old machinist have a happy birthday
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »
 That's a helluva nice shop! I'd be glad to send a pic!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 07:27:57 AM »
I can't do photos but might I wish Stanley a very Happy Birthday?

Again, might I send my best regards to your ladies who are recovering.

I'm only 85, down for a trip to Hong Kong and on to Fiji where I'm taking weaving lessons for grass skirts.

Happy Birthday, young' un and many of them.

Norman

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »
Hi, I just sent a Photo to Wendy, I realise that I missed out the N in Stanley, sorry about that, put it down to my being dyslexic, I don't always see spelling mistakes!

All the best, Matthew

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »
Hi all, glad to see people are getting on board with this, after posting last night it also occurred to me it's a bit of a social experiment too as people are wishing someone Happy Birthday to someone they have never met. The common link being the machining ccommunity all with common interests and the good will and helpful spirt of the fumum. So it will be interesting to see how many people do respond.
  Thanks to Tom and Matthew for sending photos, don't worry about the spelling Matthew, its the thought that counts. Norman thanks for the well wishes, I am glad to hear you decided take the trip to Hong Kong and Fiji you mentioned a while back, I am sure it will do you the world of good. Norman if you could still E mail Wendy without a photo it would be better as she will post your birthday wishes  as she will only see what gets Emailed to her direct, don't forget to call Stanley a Young Un though and mention you expect him to respect his elders  :clap:

Thanks again Mick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 11:55:22 AM »
It's a bit too late, now. For workshop photo taking......

Will sort something, tomorrow.  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
Thanks Micktoon!  What a lovely lady to care and  look after Stanley.

N

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:38:48 AM »
Hi David, hope you mamages to get a photo today, no real rules mate so just whatever you can manage will be appreciated.
  Thanks again Norman, yes Wendy is nice lady the idea of a surprise post for Stanley ' s birthday was her idea.

Cheers Mick

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:01:42 AM »
Hi Mick,

Sent mine off just now so hopefully in time.

...first times I've EVER taken a 'selfy'  :lol:

... might as well put it here as well to scare you all

I KNEW that that blackboard would be useful  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »
Nice pic, Andrew!  :thumbup:

I just couldn't inflict my ony selfie, on the Old Chap........

So, I sent this one........

@ Mick.
Best wishes, for a great day.
David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
Mick,

Would love to help, but unfortunately I am no where near the shop and won't be until after his birthday. I personally think the idea is awesome!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »
Well if they are handing out prizes for ugly mugs, bet I am in with a good chance.

Since this seems to be about 90% of my workshop time, the gear seems appropriate.

Yep, forwarded to Wendy
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:09:44 PM by Joules »
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
Hi Lads, thank you for the latest photos.
  Looks like as a group we can give the young - us a run for their money taking selfies   :wave: some excellent photos there Andrew, David and Joules. I know Andrew did, but checking that others have sent the photos to Wendy at the Email address at the beginning of the post as she will list them all on the surprise posts on Sat/Sun before Stanley gets up and checks the forum he goes on.
  Eric by all means just send a few words without a photo to Wendy, she wil post these too, mention where your from as I think Stanley will be amazed to receive birthday wishes from around the globe.
  Thanks again lads.
  Cheers Mick

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Greetings from Tennessee, Stanley. Have a great Birthday! Had to do a second pic when I realized the sign couldn't be read.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
I'm not at home at the moment, so cant send a foto as such......

I sent an email wishing him a great day.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 08:43:42 AM »
Words and picture sent mick. Would love to see his face when he finds them all.

John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the great response lads, Really nice to see people taking the time to make some old guy they have never met have a better 80th birthday. I know Stanley will be impressed and greatful at the messages. Lads from Metalworking fun and migwelding uk forums have also sent photos and messages so there should be quite a few I hope now.

I will post a link here to Stanley's Birthday thread on the forum he goes on, soon as Wendy makes it go live, I will also send Stanley a link to the forums that have sent the messages so he can see the posts too.

Thanks again to all those that have made the effort to send Messages, if anyone has missed the boat but would like to say Happy Birthday just add a post here as he will be looking here tomorrow anyway now I think.

Cheers Mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
Hi Lads well as promised , here is the link to Stanleys birthday post, I am sure he will be well chuffed http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14442

This is a link to his post building his engines http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=13817&start=1100  This is just random page nearing the end of his last Engine before starting Sarah and Deb's engines.

Thanks to Wendy for the idea in the first place and all the lads and lasses that have sent messages and photos. Wendy has been pushed just to get all the photos on so apologies to anyone who's message is not on the posts. Quality video effort from the Lazy Machinist too !

Once again A massive thanks from Micktoon and Doubleboost

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
I'm glad he liked it! So who's Henry?

Offline micktoon

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 04:50:44 AM »
Hi Tom, I am not sure if it's been a case of crossed wires with Stanley ' s name getting mixed up or if that photo might have been sent from a Henry wishing Stanley happy birthday.
  Either way I am greatful for someone to take time to send the photo in.
  Cheers Mick