Author Topic: Tumbler  (Read 8154 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Tumbler
« on: February 12, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
I waited a while before posting this because I wasnt even sure it would work but I am making a tumbler with the hope it will crush up some cat litter to use in casting sand.
Started by taking a little 1/6 hp motor from a cheapo piller drill, took it apart and turned the shaft down to 9mm before using my knurling tool to add some splines. (pic 1)
After that I made up a fixture for the motor with some scraps of angle (from a bed funnily enough) and some 3mm strip. (pics 2 and 3)
The tumbler itself is a receiver off a old compresser which I took to work and chopped the end off, then I put a couple of nuts and a bolt on the other end. Still need to fill a hole in the side. (pic 4)
Not exactly sure what to name this bit but its two bits of of 120 X 90 X15 and again two bits of 3mm strip all bolted together to form a hub? that will slide free on the two bits of strip on the above fixture with two bearings inserted. (pic 5)
In which goes the drive dog which consists of a old 19mm socket welded to a shaft to fit the bearing and hold the plastic disc that run on the motor shaft. (pic 6 and 7)
Finally for now I welded a plate at the front of the fixture and mounted a couple of caster wheels for the front of the tumbler to run on. (pic 8)
still needs a little more work but here a test video  :ddb:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
 :doh: I forgot to add the reason for the 19mm socket was so that the tumbler is not fixed and I can remove it for easy filling and emptying.
I also meant to ask if anyone thinks I should put some mixing fins inside to help stir things up a bit?
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
Hi Shipto,

I don't  know how to say this but I think you are making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself. I have been using cat litter based green sand for at least 8 years with total success and you don't need to grind it to a power first. Tried that and got very bored.
 The best way is to make the cat litter into a slurry ,filter this to remove any stones etc and then mix with dry sand. Next comes the fun bit, start mixing the together by hand. Massage  together bringing the outside to the middle. If you have ever made bread by hand the process is the same. Of course it would be nice to have a muller as you will be doing this for a good few hours. Eventually you should end up with a nice even colour. If it turns out too wet just leave it in the open to dry.
I  built Dave Gingery's  lathe using this homemade greensand. Petex cat litter is what I used which is bentonite.

Jon

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15:53 PM »
Hi Shipto,

I don't  know how to say this but I think you are making a lot of unnecessary work for yourself. I have been using cat litter based green sand for at least 8 years with total success and you don't need to grind it to a power first. Tried that and got very bored.
 The best way is to make the cat litter into a slurry ,filter this to remove any stones etc and then mix with dry sand. Next comes the fun bit, start mixing the together by hand. Massage  together bringing the outside to the middle. If you have ever made bread by hand the process is the same. Of course it would be nice to have a muller as you will be doing this for a good few hours. Eventually you should end up with a nice even colour. If it turns out too wet just leave it in the open to dry.
I  built Dave Gingery's  lathe using this homemade greensand. Petex cat litter is what I used which is bentonite.

Jon
If it was only useful for that then I would agree but this will be a fine parts deburrer/ cleaner as well.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 12:47:59 AM »
Hi Shipto,
     My inexperienced suggestion is that you may need something like golf ball sized ball bearings or something to do some crushing of the kitty litter. Perhaps a baffle or two to lift the balls and make them drop onto the litter.
     For cleaning or polishing small parts, less abrupt baffles and clean sand????

Just my thoughts on reading your thread,

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 01:47:23 PM »
Bentonite cat litter has a multitude of uses doesn't it! I made up some refractory for a small forge using it in the recipe with Portland cement and perlite and it worked well.

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
Bentonite cat litter has a multitude of uses doesn't it! I made up some refractory for a small forge using it in the recipe with Portland cement and perlite and it worked well.

Interesting , any chance of a few photos of the forge ?

Rob

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
I'm sure you'll find lots of uses for your tumbler, aside from depriving the kitty of her litterbox material ;)  When I made up my casting sand I used an old blender to make a fine powder of the stuff.  It worked very well for a small amount but don't expect to ever use it for food/drink again.

Interesting to note what Jon says about not needing to make a powder of it.  Oh well... <sigh>

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
Making slurry is what commercial foundries do.

I also made a furnace refractory using cat litter sand and rock salt which worked quiet well as a charcoal furnace until I scrapped it when I started using propane.

Jon

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
You could mix the sand and cat litter  in it and just add water as it's running .
Jeff

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 06:37:51 PM »
To be honest mixing the litter into a slurry before adding sand was not something I thought about but tried it today and it works a treat.
Need to make some casting flasks now.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 05:55:05 AM »
I just poured some cat litter into a bucket of water and let it soften for a day or two before mixing it with the other ingredients.