Author Topic: restoring a record 34p vice - how?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline edward

restoring a record 34p vice - how?
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
I've just scored a used Record 34p 4" 'engineers' cast steel vice from a 'well known auction site' to replace my 3" vice of dubious quality that now has a bit missing from one of the jaws thanks to me and my BFH. The delievery guy is going to love me like a brother..... :)

It looks a bit rusty and claggy from the photos and it has been painted white, so it will need a clean up and re-paint at least. I was thinking disassemble and dunk it in citric acid overnight, then a good going over with scotchbrite and a coat of smooth hammerite on the bits that stick out?

Plenty of grease on the screw and a new split pin in the nut. It looks like it has some nasty Ali washers on it so will prob make a bronze replacement.

Also, most importantly, what colour? 'trad' blue or something more exotic :)

Any other suggestions? Anyone had one of these apart before? I assume the nut at the back releases the lead screw?

Offline Arbalist

Re: restoring a record 34p vice - how?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:52:30 PM »
Use Electrolysis to clean off the rust. I've used it many times and it doesn't eat into the surface like acid does.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

You can get washing soda cheaply in any supermarket.

If it's a Record vice then it's a legal requirement to paint it blue! :D

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »
My preference is for citric acid for de-rusting, but I creak on about it like an un-oiled wheel so I'll shut up  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline edward

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Electrolysis looks fun but being a Pharmacist I 'aquired' some years back 20kg of citric acid so I will prob go that way. Andrew, do you just whack it in a bucket of the stuff? I've only ever done small items before.

I think I will stick with blue. It seems like a crime to do anything else. Although my wife did mention that Hammerite do a gold paint.......

I also may need to straighten the tommy bar - just heat it up with a torch and and whack it? Or is there som other more subtle method?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »
Set it on a couple of thin wood strips so the solution can get under it, dunk it in (I usually start with a warm solution and leave it over night) then agitate the item surface occasionally with a nylon washing up brush.

Of course give it a good degrease and dismantle first - I've been known to put a squirt of washing up liquid in to lower the surface tension.

Some pictures of biggish stuff at the bottom of this page:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,8981.0.html
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RussellT

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
If I recall correctly there's a steel dowel to take out before it all comes apart - I think it's to stop the moving jaw breaking your toes.

I did the tommy bar cold - clamped it in another vice and heaved on it.  It straightened well - you can't see it was bent and it was S shaped before.

The more serious hazard of putting pipe on the tommy bar is when the moving jaw snaps off.  (I've seen it done.)

I'd go for blue too.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline edward

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
From the Ebay photos this one looks to have a nut with a split pin through it at the back of the moving jaw, so i am hoping it will come apart that way.

You never know, i might even do a restoration thread.....