Author Topic: Oxyturbo - any good?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline edward

Oxyturbo - any good?
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »
I am in need of something a bit hotter than a standard gas torch, but I don't have space for a full oxy-acetylene kit. Just this evening I was trying to free a siezed nut and I know if I could have got it glowing it would have shifted more easily :-)

I'm considering the Oxyturbo 200 set as something portable and small to store. I understand they go through oxygen at a fair rate, so I would probably also get a diving DIN-bullnose converter, oxygen reg and flashback arrestor so that I can run the oxygen side from one of my diving oxygen cylinders when i am at home - I have 3, 7 and 12 litre 200 bar oxygen cylinders that I use for decompression when I am scuba diving and they would be considerably cheaper than the disposables when I dont need the portability

So, is this a waste of £200?

Also, I read that welding steel with it is a bad idea as it as the carbon in the MAAP will make a high carbon alloy and the joint will be weak. is this BS? I've done a fair bit oxy-acetylene welding years ago and that was fine, and acetylene is also a hydrocarbon....

I'd welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

Offline Jonny

Re: Oxyturbo - any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 06:17:10 AM »
Very old bottles they in test?
Most people went off 200bar cylinders around 24 years ago, last 20 years cant give them away in favour of the 232bar and last 18 years DIN300bar cylinders all the rage.
Point being costs dosh for the IDAS testing every 2 1/2 years £40 to £60, just had a 2 1/2 year visual non submersible think it was £38. I don't bother with the 3ltr and 10.4ltr 232bar cylinders just top up with whats left in the 300bar for filling small cylinders from empty ie workshop use.
Without the current in date test you wont get it topped up.

Offline edward

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:57:21 AM »
Hi Jonny

All my diving kit is in regular use and is cleaned and tested anyway, so its only the cost of the DIN to Bullnose adapter (£22 from SAP) and the oxygern reg/flashback.

207 bar alu 40 and 80cf cylinders are still in common use as deco bottles, I typically carry two 'Ali80's' (11.2 litre aluminum cylinders, 207 bar WP) for a 70m dive, one with 50% oxygen and the other with 100% for the 6m stop.

In the garage I have 2x12 litre steel 232bar single cylinders, a 2x12l 232bar steel twinset, 2x15l 232bar steel twinset (a real back killer), 3l 232bar ali, 5.7l 207bar ali, 7l 232bar ali and two 11.2l 207bar ali cylinders.

All are in test and O2 clean, so I was thinking I could use pretty much any of them for O2 at 1p per litre from the dive centre.

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »