Author Topic: Filter ressurection.  (Read 4123 times)

Offline DavidA

Filter ressurection.
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »
Having just watched Doubleboost's item on the Diesel exhaust filter autopsy, I came to me that one may possibly recover the filter unit instead of having to replace the whole thing.

Just how it would be done I'm not sure, so I throw it out for discussion.

Maybe one could use some kind of solvent to clear out the matrix. Perhaps, if you could remove it without damaging it, you could use an ultrasonic bath to clean it. Sort of 'shake out' the particulates.

Or, perhaps (purely as an experiment,of course) you could simply replace the matrix with glassfibre wool.

If the solvent idea worked than you could arrange the filter housing so that it can be taken apart without having to weld it up.  Maybe a couple of flanges and a few bolts.

But even if you have to re-weld it, that isn't such a big deal every seventy thousand miles or so.

Any other ideas ?

Dave.

Offline mattinker

Re: Filter ressurection.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
I know that it is possible to buy them reconditioned here in France. If they recondition them it might be possible to just change the matrix. I don't think fibre glass would stand up to the heat of the burn cycle. The matrix looks almost like it is some kind of ceramic.

Regards, Matthew

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »
Wonder if sand or glass bead blasting would work? Or CO2?
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline nrml

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
I've had a blocked DPF filter on my car once. My mechanic took it off, filled it with diesel and let it stand overnight. This was repeated a few times followed by a forced regeneration cycle and additives of dubious value added to the diesel for the next few services, more to make us both feel better than anything else. Fortunately it recovered. He said it would be cheaper to get a replacement from a salvage yard than to attempt to open it up and clean it.