Author Topic: Blacksmithing Joinery and Forge Building  (Read 11239 times)

Offline Brass_Dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Lady Madwoman
Blacksmithing Joinery and Forge Building
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:51:47 AM »
Just wanted to share 2 projects I recently completed. I took a blacksmithing joinery workshop at a metalsmith school in downstate NY and made a chisel, drift, and trivet. Learned a ton about heat treating tools, joining, practiced fillering, riveting, sanding, fun stuff. Here's some of the process and the trivet:

And I also made my own forge.  :ddb: It was mostly a pre-assembled kit that we put together, but I did do the hose assembly, welded the feet to the frame, assembled the burner, etc. It was a great experience. Incidentally, it was the first time I ever welded and I'm completely hooked on welding now.  (Thankgoodness Brass has one that I shall now take possession of. Afterall, I am SWMBO.  :coffee: )

So here's the process and the result:

It works!  :ddb:

Just in time as we are making a garage space on our property to be my own workshop. I'm really looking forward to making stuff at home now. I might even let Brass_machine tool around in there now and then.  :whip: But the good thing is that I'll get my stuff out of his workshop leaving him more room to create and fabricate, too. Win, win.  :)

Lots of happenings in the House of Brass. And more to come.  :thumbup:

~ Never consent to creep when you have the impulse to fly. ~

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Blacksmithing Joinery and Forge Building
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

and you can now do this  :hammer: to metal, not Eric!    :coffee:

Look forward to seeing the fruits of the new forge in its new workshop. Can see a race developing as to who has the best collection of hammers between Victoria and Rob Wilson!

Dave
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:02:01 AM by DMIOM »

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:00:31 AM »
Over on this side of the pond Joinery is woden furniture , to do that in a forge I am impressed .
Jeff

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 05:58:41 AM »
First I was thinking also dovetails and such and why not? That sort of stuff was used to fabricate wood/metal planes.

Looks really nice too. I would like to attend that sort of activity too. Here we have only knife blade forging lessons (usually a gun smith is giving those lessons).

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:18 AM »
Ironbridge - the actual cast iron bridge itself - is an excellent example of woodworking joints being applied to a (then) new technology - after all Ironbridge was the heart of the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/iron-bridge/

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
And suddenly, that new TIG welder seems a lot closer now... :headbang:
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:45:42 PM »
I am mightily impressed  :bow: :bow: :bow:  thats a cracking forge you have made their   :dremel:

I also like the workmanship you have done on the trivet , cracking job  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
Really nice work especially like the forge  :beer:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 04:27:48 PM »
Very nice do you paint the inside of the forge with zircon paint or other refractive coating?
That is quite the bridge!

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 01:45:38 AM »
Nice looking forge. Will it have a bar on the front? I mean that kind of raised bar that when you heat the blade you can rest blade tang there to keep the blade off the forge "floor".

Pekka

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
 :headbang: :bugeye: :hammer: :bow:   Brilliant stuff! It's about time  :thumbup:

That looks great... Trivet that is. Where is the trivet for? Kitchen or workshop?

The forge looks awesome! I want one  :palm:   :)   

And a new workshop.... Proper stuff  :nrocks:

Good luck with all future projects

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Lady Madwoman
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 11:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  I really appreciate it. :nrocks: 

Ironbridge - the actual cast iron bridge itself - is an excellent example of woodworking joints being applied to a (then) new technology - after all Ironbridge was the heart of the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/iron-bridge/

If I ever jump over the pond, I’d love to check that out. Thanks for sharing that.

And suddenly, that new TIG welder seems a lot closer now... :headbang:

Yes,it is. As long as I get the mig.  :wave:

I am mightily impressed  :bow: :bow: :bow:  thats a cracking forge you have made their   :dremel:

I also like the workmanship you have done on the trivet , cracking job  :thumbup:

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Love that coal forge you have going, too.  :bow:

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

and you can now do this  :hammer: to metal, not Eric!    :coffee:

Look forward to seeing the fruits of the new forge in its new workshop. Can see a race developing as to who has the best collection of hammers between Victoria and Rob Wilson!

Dave

Haha and thanks, Dave. I’ve got a hammer with Eric’s name on it. LOL

I’m sure Rob has me beat in the hammer department, but not for long. *whistling*

First I was thinking also dovetails and such and why not? That sort of stuff was used to fabricate wood/metal planes.

Looks really nice too. I would like to attend that sort of activity too. Here we have only knife blade forging lessons (usually a gun smith is giving those lessons).

Pekka

You should! You wouldn’t regret it.   :thumbup:

Very nice do you paint the inside of the forge with zircon paint or other refractive coating?

Actually, I don’t know if it was coated beforehand because I just assembled it after the fact. But it’s a good question that I’ll ask the instructors when I see them next.  :scratch:

Nice looking forge. Will it have a bar on the front? I mean that kind of raised bar that when you heat the blade you can rest blade tang there to keep the blade off the forge "floor".

Pekka

Well, the bar you see just below the opening is a saddle that moves in/out about 10 -12 inches, so it could feasibly properly rest a blade.

Speaking of that, I just signed up to take a Damascus knife making class in September. So I'll let you know how well it works with knife making.  :ddb:

That looks great... Trivet that is. Where is the trivet for? Kitchen or workshop?

Kitchen or table. I'm eager to make a casserole or something, just so I have a reason to use it.  :lol:

The forge looks awesome! I want one  :palm:   :)   

Come back, take the class, and you can return home with it.  :beer:

Good luck with all future projects

Ralph.

Thank ya, Ralph.  :thumbup:
~ Never consent to creep when you have the impulse to fly. ~

RobWilson

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 07:42:40 AM »
I just signed up to take a Damascus knife making class in September. So I'll let you know how well it works with knife making.  :ddb:

Looking forward to seeing what you make in this Damascus knife  class   :thumbup: 

Rob

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 11:16:33 AM »
Well, firstly I'm expecting something like this to be sorted and posted (as a blank) to me for the purpose of knife making. November will be fine. Give you a month or so to practice after your course :thumbup:   
 http://www.kevincaseycustomknives.com/process/68/feathered-w-pattern-tutorial.html

Secondly.....

Come back, take the class, and you can return home with it.  :beer:

2017,  hopefully about August time I will be roaming the US of A.... Not any great plan yet.... except the Eclipse.  But I'll definitely let you know  :)   ..... Not too sure about getting a gas forge in the overhead storage though!  :scratch:    :lol:

Thirdly....

Kitchen or table. I'm eager to make a casserole or something, just so I have a reason to use it.  :lol:

Well, at least it's functional.... Most of my stuff has only trinket value  :lol: 

Can't wait to see what you make  :proj:    :D

Ralph.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

2017,  hopefully about August time I will be roaming the US of A.... Not any great plan yet.... except the Eclipse.  But I'll definitely let you know  :)   ..... Not too sure about getting a gas forge in the overhead storage though!  :scratch:    :lol:

Bah... We can always stick it in a box and send it off!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »
Bah... We can always stick it in a box and send it off!

:lol:  That's thinking inside the box!

I'm guessing the postage cost would be more that my flight costs?   :doh:

I'm still expecting some damascus blanks though  :headbang:

Ralph.