Author Topic: BOXFORD IMPERIAL DIAL  (Read 20729 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Re: BOXFORD IMPERIAL DIAL
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:15 PM »
Reading Rob's post I have to say I would find it hard to believe a reputable firm like Boxford would go for a cheap and nasty bodge like fitting metric dials to imperial screws.

What is a more likely scenario is tech staff getting metric dials and imp screws mixed up as was the case on my Harrison when bought from a training school.

The cost saving argument doesn't really stack up as the cost of a couple of relatively small metric screws and nuts is hardly a major budgetary issue for an educational Dept and I can't believe Boxford would sully their reputation by recommending such a cheapskate measure as metric dials on imp screws.

The info in the link below relates to the ME 10 Boxford and right down at the bottom of the page it states that the lathe can be supplied either as imperial or metric system.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford-ME10/

OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mattinker

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
If I were you I'd buy myself a DRO even a simple one, it's far more universal!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
Griff, you may find what you're after by having a scan through the list below. I did find a couple of unused/new ones on ebay but they have been sold.

I agree with Matt that a DRO would be the most versatile fix but space for fitting may be an issue.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford/page9.html
OZ.

RobWilson

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
:update:
Ok the moment we've all waited for, I've fitted a dial gauge into the tool post and as instructed dialled in three full turns on the cross slide !!! Hands in the air' it was 5 thou under three hundred thou, so I was wrong, it has got metric cross slide and compound screws. Looks like it's humble pie for dinner this evening for me!!!
:bugeye:
Please don't be too hard on me though, everything else is imperial, I have checked, 8tpi lead screw, imperial end gear set up, imperial gearbox, imperial name plate, HONEST.

The only question now: does anyone have a set of imperial screws and nuts for a Boxford AUD to convert it back to a full imperial machine?
:doh:

No worries Griff , I bought 3 from a school that had burnt down some 20 odd years ago , all three were the same as mine  . Sold 2 and kept one for myself .

Since you have that fine dial you made , why not turn up a couple of screws and nuts , would make a canny project  :poke:

Rob

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
Yeah Rob. now I've got two dials, just finished the second one over the weekend.

I've found some nuts on ebay for 12 quid each, which is probs less than the material and tooling cost. The threads look like ACME its hard to tell but yes you could be right, it would be a worthwhile project. I'm busy making an adjustable carriage stop at the minute, then will come the splash back but I could do the screws as a future job.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
Griff, if imperial then they're most definitely Acme thread form, most likely 10 tpi single start(100 thou per rev).

The metric screws will be Trapezoidal (TR) thread form.

OZ.

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »
Thanks for that Oz,

That's one less bit of homework to do, I'll get a thread gauge for the dimensions and either buy or grind a tool and have a bit of practice on some scrap.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »
Griff, these inserts and tools are what I use for Acme threads,and a good number of other forms.
http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/acme-29-external-threading-inserts.html

Tools to hold inserts.
http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/ser-external-threading-tools-apt.html

16 ER insert and suitably sized tool shank to fit your toolpost,I generally use as big a tool shank as my tool post/centre height will allow. On the Harrison that is 25mm square.

OZ.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 02:19:37 PM »
 :thumbup:

I applaud your honesty. It still made for an interesting read. :nrocks:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
What time zone does this site run in? It's 19.19 not 02.19 here ! :Doh:

Offline chipenter

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
3/8" X 10tpi same as South Bend , I extended mine and made bigger dials .
Jeff

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »
Hmmmm often wondered about the time zone, could it be inner Mongolia or perhaps Australian Outback? :smart:

Yeah Jeff, I reckon bigger dials would help my ailing eyesight. I have actually thought about fitting a dial type collar round the inner side of the horizontal feed hand wheel. I have one on my Chinese lathe and it is quite handy for keeping an eye on the horizontal travel of the tool post. Has anyone made one or seen one on a Boxford lathe?

Cheers, Griff.