Author Topic: Another busy day in OkieLand.  (Read 7072 times)

Offline websterz

Another busy day in OkieLand.
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
Here are some close-up pics of my indicator holder for Chris. This should make it a little clearer.

This shows the mount removed from the lathe. I didn't have a longer piece of aluminum in the scrap box so I improvised on mounting the indicator. I used a 3/8" mill to cut a groove in the mount so that the indicator tube sat just a hair above flush. That allowed me to bolt on a little plate that clamps the indicator snugly but is still easily adjusted.

Here is an end view that makes the above explaination a little easier to understand.

The part on the left sits on the prismatic way and holds the indicator. On the right is the mating part that clamps underneath the way. You can see 2 guide pins that fit into the upper half and keep the clamp from twisting. There is a 1/4-20 set screw that allows adjustment of the clamp gap. Since the clamp only reaches about half way back because of the rack gear you need something there to keep the clamp level and even. The other hole is where the cam screw goes thru the base.

Now, for todays little  :proj:

I do a lot of parting and I really needed a coolant system, but I don't have a decent air compressor. So, time to mod!

This is the windshield washer tank and pump off of my old van. They can be had new for $20 or less at a parts shop or even cheaper from a salvage yard.

Here's the end of the hose with a spare needle from an ink cartridge refill kit clamped into the end of it. I used a scrap of aluminum to mount the coolant tip to my toolpost so that it points down at the tip of my parting tool.

And finally the power system. I used a spare wall-wart (power transformer) to power the pump. The pump motor is 12 volt DC and it calls for 1.5 amps. The transformer I used is a 12 volt DC 1.3 amp so it was just right. A little less current won't hurt the pump and it helps reduce the pressure just a touch. I didn't have a momentary contact switch on hand so I grabbed a spare light switch from the shelf. It works just fine, I just flick it back and forth with my thumb when I need a bit of coolant. I will change this out to a momentary switch later on so I don't have to double-flip the switch.  :D

Tomorrow boys and girls we will be adding some nitrile rubber sheeting to the lathe to keep the chips off the ways. Stay tuned, you don't want to miss it.  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:52:33 PM by websterz »
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Another busy day in OkieLand.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »
I had thought of that once too, but never got around-to-it.

How is it with the spray from the chuck? I assume you are using a rust inhibitor with the water?

I remember the stuff we used at work looked like milk and was a bit sticky if you didn't clean up the part. In the summer the smell was terrible. One reason I use plain old oil in a squirt can. Still a neat idea though. Wonder if the pump would work with a oil/kerosene mix?

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
I had thought of that once too, but never got around-to-it.

How is it with the spray from the chuck? I assume you are using a rust inhibitor with the water?

I remember the stuff we used at work looked like milk and was a bit sticky if you didn't clean up the part. In the summer the smell was terrible. One reason I use plain old oil in a squirt can. Still a neat idea though. Wonder if the pump would work with a oil/kerosene mix?

Bernd

By using the small gauge needle on the hose I can very precisely direct the coolant. I have it aimed so it hits the tailstock side of the tool and flows down into the cut. I am not flood cooling, just a drop or two at a time so there is no spray from the chuck. I lay a rag below the lathe to absorb the coolant and keep my bench dry. Works great!! I have seen a huge improvement in the finish on my parts. They went from beaver-chewed to dang near smooth. This is a big plus for me as surface grinding the tooling marks out means I have to start with a thicker part so there is enough material for a full clean up on both sides. Thicker parts don't heat treat as well which affects my finished product. All in all this has made a 100% improvement in my process.

Right now I am using a rust inhibitive mist coolant in the tank. It works just as well in a drip system and so far no problems with rust or stickiness. The pump vanes and port are pretty small, I don't know how well it would do pumping oil. WD-40 would flow just fine though.

Oh yeah, my favotite part...I can move it from the lathe, to the mill, to the grinder...wherever I need a little coolant.   :ddb:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:04 AM »
I thought you were flooding it constantly during your cut. I now can fathom why you don't get it all over the place if you just give it a squirt once in a while.  :doh:

Might just have to try this out. I've got one of those units around somewhere.  :dremel:

I like the idea of having it portable too. Nice idea. Thanks. :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
Hey Webby

I don`t know how I missed this post but I have!! Thanks for the more detailed pictures and love the idea of the coolant system....! I am currently in progress of trying a variation of your prismatic holder - just salvaged a quick release bar off a bike as well ...so will be trying it in a few days. I`ll keep you posted and keep yours coming!

:proj:

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:28 PM »
Hey Webby

I don`t know how I missed this post but I have!! Thanks for the more detailed pictures and love the idea of the coolant system....! I am currently in progress of trying a variation of your prismatic holder - just salvaged a quick release bar off a bike as well ...so will be trying it in a few days. I`ll keep you posted and keep yours coming!

:proj:

Did you get the last PM I sent you?