Author Topic: Flyer  (Read 7975 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Flyer
« on: March 29, 2016, 01:13:59 AM »
I had no idea where to post this being its part wood part brass part stainless steel  :Doh:

Sue asked for a 2nd flyer for her spinning wheel slightly smaller arms, less hooks, wider between arms.

Had fun machining this as well as making the Oak U, Stainless steel shaft from an old printer threaded M6 into the brass.

Offline micktoon

Re: Flyer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Looks like it will have been interesting job, nice work and you will have got plenty brownie points too  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:03:13 PM »
Nice piece! err... what's it do?
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:22:53 AM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:27:07 AM »
Winds the spun yarn onto a spool on a spinning wheel at progressive axial positions. I've been trying to work out a design for one that automatically processes back and forth across the spool like a coil winder does, to fit on my wife's spinning wheel.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »
Nice piece! err... what's it do?
:smart:

Its for LOML's spinning wheel when mounted in its right full place it does this.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »

Offline texta

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »
good job mate should score you a brownie point or 2 , but and there is always a but aint there i think it will break very easy on the cross grain section at the bottom of the U probably would of been better made for 2 or 3 bits of wood laminated with the grain at 90 degrees to each other or even made with an off cut of good ply wood .that aside i hope it stays in one piece and lasts forever and i am wrong about the weak point on the cross grain .

johno

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
NICE work!  I've been wanting to build a spinning wheel for my better half.  We both do fiber arts and she's been wanting to spin forever.  Kentucky is big into breeding alpacas for their fur. 
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:57 PM »
good job mate should score you a brownie point or 2 , but and there is always a but aint there i think it will break very easy on the cross grain section at the bottom of the U probably would of been better made for 2 or 3 bits of wood laminated with the grain at 90 degrees to each other or even made with an off cut of good ply wood .that aside i hope it stays in one piece and lasts forever and i am wrong about the weak point on the cross grain .

johno

Thanks

It did Johno she got me a bigger shed  :D :) thats part of reason for late reply been buys packing as shed comes with new abode as well.

You are right they do break if dropped, man handled and abused. I have had to repair other ladies flyers in the past. The reason for design is keeping it original I had discussed with LOML making a 3 part type like she has on her Wee Peggy  :whip: she's a hard taskmaster/mistress.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
NICE work!  I've been wanting to build a spinning wheel for my better half.  We both do fiber arts and she's been wanting to spin forever.  Kentucky is big into breeding alpacas for their fur.

Thanks TS
Took me a while as the link shows if ever I make one again :doh: "id lock the doors and keep out signs put in place till its finished maybe a 6 month sojourn all up.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »
The Ashfords spinning wheel factory is just down the road and I am sure you could buy a kitset and I could send the pieces one by one which you could proudly produce from your workshop at appropriate intervals!

BTW,  we go in there some times as they have a very nice cafe at the place and I am always intrigued at the variety of little machines required to convert fleece into jumpers.
From the den of The Artful Bodger