Author Topic: Press controls  (Read 4065 times)

Offline PK

Press controls
« on: June 04, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
OK, so it only took me two weeks longer than I thought it would to get the project to this stage. But we're here at last..

I've built a little hydraulic press for home.
Of note, I used one of these little units for the muscle: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331810274325?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It has 600mm of stroke, an air motor on the back and is good for 8t.  I invite you to convert the price (which includes shipping) to your local currency. It's an absolute bargain!

So I have all the heavy bits fabricated and working. Now I'm moving to the controls. What I want is a lever control for raise and lower.

The lever bit is easy, I have a 5/3 way lever valve.

The press bit is easy, just use said valve to supply air to the motor (might have to be via a pilot operated valve, this thing uses a bit of air).

It's the release bit that has me scratching my head.  I could use a rotary actuator. But the mounting brackets would be a bit of a pain in the arse because the little drain valve is at an angle .I'd prefer to use a ram and control horn, but the same applies. I'd really rather not strip the thing and add a separate valve...

Anyone got any suggestions?

PK

RobWilson

Re: Press controls
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 04:02:23 AM »
Hi there PK ,thats a  mighty fine lookin press  :thumbup:  nice job  :clap: :clap:

As to your release problem it all depends on how far you want to hack the cylinder /pump unit .

I came up with this solution , minimal  :proj: required 

Replacing the bleed down screw with a machined up fitting  that matched the screw nose angle ,drilled through and the other end machined to what ever flavoured hydraulic fitting you prefer , BSP, JIC  etc. 

Then pipped back into the oil fill hole further up the cylinder .

Hope photo is clear , I am suffering from one all mighty hangover   this morning  .  :Doh:

Rob 

Offline RussellT

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 04:14:04 AM »
If I've understood this correctly the screw just releases the fluid internally to let the jack come down.

How far does it need turning - if it's less than half a turn could you use a lever and air cylinder?

Or to simplify mounting how about a flexible coupling to your rotary actuator - or even just an adaptor sliding over the pins sticking out of the screw.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline PK

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 04:33:27 AM »

I came up with this solution , minimal  :proj: required 
I like it. It's fairly simple and, as you say, it really just one part.. I'll put that up on the top of the list for now..

Hope photo is clear , I am suffering from one all mighty hangover   this morning  .  :Doh:
:-) That'll teach you to stop drinking!
PK

Offline PK

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:53 AM »
If I've understood this correctly the screw just releases the fluid internally to let the jack come down.
Yep.

How far does it need turning - if it's less than half a turn could you use a lever and air cylinder?
Half a turn does it. The problem, as I see it is that it doesn't rotate on a convenient plane. When I add a few hundred mm of ram to the picture, bits and brackets are hanging out in inconvenient places..
Or to simplify mounting how about a flexible coupling to your rotary actuator - or even just an adaptor sliding over the pins sticking out of the screw.
Yeah, I thought about a universal joint.. Might be the go...