Author Topic: D.T.I fix  (Read 7861 times)

Offline krv3000

D.T.I fix
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »
hi all not posted in a wile as I ant had any to do any way this D.T.I belongs to sum one john knows in all the D.T.I is in good order the mane problem was with the lenses as it had shrunk with age and was falling out  the way I fix this problem is to put the lenses in hot water and place a heavy wat on top to flatten it out a bit but I gave the D.T.I the bob's touch to  right pics

Offline micktoon

Re: D.T.I fix
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:23:50 AM »
Quality work as per usual Bob, it will last many more years now  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
Without a doubt, a master of bringing these back...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
The lens fix is a new solution to me. I have an old indicator which I got from my dad and the lens keeps falling out. I will try the hot water and weight method, Thanks for the tip.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:57 PM »
Hi there, Bob,

Please can you help me out with a dial gauge problem?

I've recently bought several poorly dial gauges with the intention of renovating them with the benefit of all the hints, tips and examples you've posted in your Mad Modders threads.

One of them is a long throw gauge made by Linear.  I'll try to attach a few photos:

Well, I tried but failed!!!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 
I clicked on the 'insert image' button and got with the insertion bar between the brackets.  Then I went to the folder on my computer and copied the photo.  Then I returned here, checked that the insertion bar was still flashing between the brackets and clicked Control+V expecting to paste the photo. 
Nothing happened! 
I've tried lots of variations on the preceding sentence and am left feeling frustrated and stupid!   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

What am I doing wrong or what am I not doing that I ought to be doing???   Help!!! 

I thought the current preference was to attach (or embed?) photos here rather than link to PhotoBucket so the posts don't become nonsense if PhotoBucket throws a wobbly or the poster terminates their PB account. 

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Click on "attachments and other options" below the box that you type your message into. Go to the 'Attach' area and click on 'Choose file'. This brings up an explorer type box where you can choose the files, one at a time. For a second picture click on "(more attachments)" - max 10 per posting
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
Thank you, Andrew, you're a star!! 

OK, I'll try again:

I now have a list of four photos claiming to be attached but nothing showiong either in the entry window or in Preview!!

Do they only appear when I Post?  If so, how can I format my text ahead of and following the photos?

OK, I get it, they're always at the foot of the post.

So, back to my problem.  The outer dial of the dial gauge (inside the crystal) isn't revolving when the bezel is turned.  I figure I need to remove the bezel and crystal but I can't see how to do that.  Should I get brave and try levering it off with a kitchen knife?

I have another gauge that has a hole in the side of the bezel that allows access to four grub-screws when the bezel is turned to the right positions but there's no such feature on this Linear gauge.  (That gauge has a loose crystal - Bob's already told us how to tackle that problem. )

The second photo also shows that the lug on the back-plate is damaged - that doesn't bother me as I intend to hold the gauge by the stem behind the moving probe.  I could remove the lug altogether and fill the crack with epoxy. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
That's the only drawback - on this forum they always follow your text - they cannot be "within the text", unlike some other forums that I inhabit.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »
Well, Andrew, I got there eventually, thank you.  Now to see what Bob says.   :mmr:   :mmr: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
hi no you don't need the kitchen knife if you look at the diel you will see two indicators i.e. them two black pointers that you adjust to set the maximum and minimal needle travel in pic 1   remove them and the lens will drop out on the inside of the bezel their shod be a bit sticking out  and on the diel face their shod be a notch for it to locate it thus when the bezel is rotated the face will move with it if you still have problems you can all ways post it to me and pay for the post back   its best to fill any holes i.e. if their is a screw missing put one in  and in your case remove the lug and fill as you say with epoxy the best meth herd  I yous is on the inside put a piece of  masking tape  over the hole and then fill from the front as sum backs are resest  on the inside and this makes it hard to sand dawn the filler

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 10:09:06 PM »
That's the only drawback - on this forum they always follow your text - they cannot be "within the text", unlike some other forums that I inhabit.
The advantage of this method is that pics are permanent, if you host your images off site, you can insert them in the text.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:47 AM »
Hi there, Bob and Matthew,

Bob,

thanks for the guidance, I'll give it a try and report back. 
Thanks also for your kind offer to rescue me if I get stuck but I'd like to attempt a repair myself in the first instance - I think I know enough to stop short of doing any damage if I do find myself in deep water!!! 
Besides, if I were to send you any of these gauges I have here you might say 'So he's the ****** who outbid me!!!'.   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: 

Matthew,

If you look at any of my earlier posts, you'll see photos interspersed in the text - I used to put my photos on PhotoBucket and link to them.  But the recent preference here seems to have swung in favour of attaching the photos so the posts don't become nonsense if the poster's PB account is closed. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 07:54:48 AM »
It can be very frustrating finding an interesting old thread that is hard to follow as all the pictures have disappeared  :(

Personally I think the lost of 'insertion' is worth the 'longevity'

If you watch the display of who is on line and what they are reading, it is obvious that threads are read for many years after they have ceased to be active.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »
Hi,

The linear gauge isn't cooperating!!  I've tried to pull out the tolerance tabs but they aren't shifting.  They started in close contact with the crystal and I gently eased them up with a Swann-Morton knife just enough to let me get a hold with a small pair of needle-nosed pliers.  I then tried to pull them out from the groove, as one would remove an internal circlip - no joy.  I'd assumed that each tolerance tab would be on its own part ring but when I looked with my loup I can only detect one ring.  So I've left that one for now.

While I was at it, I removed the back and inspected the interior.  There was a ring of light oil around the seating face of the back cover which I removed with blue paper towel.
For interest, I've attached a photo of the innards - well, actually I've attached it because, now, I can!   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: 

So I turned my attention to the gauge with the loose crystal.  I tried to follow your method, Bob, and it seems to have worked although the crystal is still a bit loose.  I immersed the crystal in almost boiling water for a few minutes and then quickly dried it before fitting it into the bezel.  It seemed to cool quickly and didn't feel very pliable but I put a weight on it anyway and left it for an hour or so.  The weight was a 2 oz tobacco tin full of drills and a steel bench block.  I put a piece of sheet cork between the crystal and the weight to avoid scratching the crystal and the whole lot was surrounded by a metal ring that would catch the weight if it sank too far.  A bit fancy, maybe!
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 05:46:37 PM »
hi one indicator ring sits on top of the other one they don't sit in septet grooves you have to remove the top one first to remove the bezel completely if you look at your last pic you will see two holes one at the top the other at the bottom if you look you will see a silver like pin its not a pin its a spring you need to move it inwards this pulls the spring out of the groove in the bezel as for the lens you mist a bit   it just needs to be hot not boiling put the lens in and wile in the hot water put the wate on top  and level it in till its gone cold the wate I youse is a 1/2 pawnd of a set of kitchen scales don't panic a bawt scratches  T cut polishes them out