Author Topic: eBay Madness  (Read 5838 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
eBay Madness
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
I have a Rabone Chesterman model 1912 square sitting at the back of my bench in the metal working shop - had it years - nothing special - just a sliding square / 45 degree jobbie.

Several times recently I've needed it in my wood work shop which is the other side of the farm yard - no great deal but a bit of a pain having to fetch it, then forgetting to bring it back  :bang:

SO.... I thought twit - get another, keep it in the wood shop - job done  :clap:

Quick search on eBay - found one in nice condition at £10 , watched it .... it went for £57 plus £3.95 postage. Several others have come and gone at similar silly prices - what's happening, are people getting addicted to these things or am I missing something  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

Re: eBay Madness
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »
Andrew  I have seen hammers that are £30 ish new go for £60+ (used)   :loco:

Especiaty when they have descriptions like "rare", "antique ","vintage",,,,,,,,,,,,and my favorite "barn find "  WTF!  :bang:

Some Allot of items are going for way way over the market value .

anyway ebay is so last week ,,,,,,,,,,,,Banggood is the place to be  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
Check out the prices of the combination square with the three heads forty five protractor and square .
Jeff

Offline smiffy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »
 I have all way's  called it auction fever , used to see it at farm sales

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
Ebay's not that bad I picked up a Brown and sharpe gear tooth vernier gauge for $136.00 and a pipe expander for rolling in the tubes its a  weideke co 15/16 - 1" 12& 13 gauge boiler steam for $79.00.
I prefer the buy it now option on ebay.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 02:24:05 AM »
... Which is the sort of price I'd expected to pay for a used Rabone Chesterman. I didn't realise that I was using priceless antiques on my bench  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:39:14 AM »
We are all guilty as charged!!

Anyway a question:

How can I stop ebay showing me stuff from say the USA?

T'other thread about anvils lists loads in the USA for reasonnable money but as for th epostage :bugeye:

So I would just like to search say Europe

I tried the within 200 km of postcode and it still found stuff 5,600 km away!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline edward

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »
No idea about anvils, but avoid those Bahco squares. I bought one of those and it was so far off square you could see it - checked against other tools and the 'scribe a line both ways' method and it had a gap of 2mm at 150mm out from the (checked, straight) edge of the material, so it was 1mm in 150 off square.

I've had that and a Bahco 'heavy duty' pop-riveter fail on me over the last 6 months. Its put me off Bahco for good, its a shame to see the 'inventors of the adjustable wrench' cheapen their brand so much.

Offline philf

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
We are all guilty as charged!!

Anyway a question:

How can I stop ebay showing me stuff from say the USA?

T'other thread about anvils lists loads in the USA for reasonnable money but as for th epostage :bugeye:

So I would just like to search say Europe

I tried the within 200 km of postcode and it still found stuff 5,600 km away!

Will,

If you're using a desktop then there should be check boxes under Item Location to select UK Only, European Union or Worlwide.

I've not found these options when viewing eBay from my phone and you are limited to within a certain distance as you say.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline nrml

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
Sometimes it is the beer goggles effect. I paid far too much for a shaper albeit a very lightly used one from a school. Learnt my lesson. It has given me hours of fun so not too bitter but I could have saved myself a few pennies there.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
It all depends on how bad you want the item and if you can wait for a better deal the thing to watch out for is the price may be cheap but sometimes is padded by crazy shipping charges! I've passed on a few things because of that.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »
Guilty as charged Andrew. Watched in dis-belief as a tenon cutter for use on a saw bench went for 79 , whilst the same item at Rutlands was on offer for 49( so I just had to buy one didn't I ?? Saved myself 30 !! ( still in box but makes an excellent doorstop! :loco:).

Mind you safer  (?) possibly than the home made version. Used my radial arm saw for this previously but the tennon cutting gadget LOOKED soo much more professional, and I hadn't got one so..... :drool:

Had some good stuff from e bay but got caught out too so I now ask myself what'sit worth to me- bid that and walk away (usually) then if I get it for my "fair" price I'm happy.

if you want a starret V head  to attach to the blade let me know I've got a spare one you can have.

Regards