Author Topic: Slingshots  (Read 25888 times)

Offline Toolshed

Slingshots
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
Another habit of mine is making, shooting, and trading slingshots.

Here is an aluminum cast of a natural someone traded me.

No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

RobWilson

Re: Slingshots
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
 :thumbup:   Looking good Toolshed , Thats a  canny casting project  and I fully understand the time ,effort and skill involved in producing that casting  :clap: :clap:

There is only one thing that spoils your good work , the photo is out of focus  :bang: , if you had only took the time to stop and think , looks like you have set the shot up on a chair  . if you have had rest your arms on the chair back to steady yourself and took the shot ,this also would have framed your work better  , take several shots in this digital age and picked the best of the bunch .

Above is meant to be  constructive ,not a dig . I see lots of lads good work spoiled by bad photos .

Rob  :wave:

Ps Andrew will soon be on your case

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »
Oh ! forgot welcome to the forum  :nrocks:

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

(Don't mind Rob - he means well  :lol: )

640 x 480 is a good size for pictures to allow everyone to enjoy them
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
Being a bit picky now, but I would call that a catapult.

To me a sling shot is a leather pouch to hold a rock. And this is fitted with two lengths of cord .

You spin it around then release one of the cords. And the rock flies off at a tangent and kills Goliath.

What do the rest of you think ?

Dave.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »
Yes David that's also my understanding - perhaps it's a difference in nomenclature either side of the Atlantic  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
Yeah... We call them things slingshots over here.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:10:40 AM »
Sometimes we call the other a "sling". Hopefully the context identifies the difference between the giant killer and the thing to holde a broken arm   :scratch:
Alan

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:37:37 AM »
I'm a Brit and I would call a sling a sling, and a slingshot a catapult!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Jonny

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »
As far as I can remember and used to make em as a kid early 70's, known as catapults.
Catapults been around since 3rd century, slingshots after 1844.

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

(Don't mind Rob - he means well  :lol: )

640 x 480 is a good size for pictures to allow everyone to enjoy them

What's wrong with the size of his pictures  :scratch: :scratch: They look fine to me on my 90" monitor  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »
Yah.  I'm still getting used to the picture posting.  This was posted before I got the little resizing application.

Anyway, here are a few more (Hopefully in focus) 

I am NOT a photographer by any stretch and I couldn't set up a shot if I had a micrometer to do it with.

Rappelling carabiners that some slingers cut the top part off to make the forks.

A bent wire slingshot I made for another fellow.

One I cast in trade for a handmade dream catcher for my wife.

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!

RobWilson

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
 :clap: :clap: Nice one toolshed  :thumbup:

Those castings look great . 

Rob

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 07:25:24 AM »
As far as I can remember and used to make em as a kid early 70's, known as catapults.

Actually slingshots date back to at least the Romans http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/burnswark.htm

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 12:04:54 PM »

Actually slingshots date back to at least the Romans http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/burnswark.htm

It's a question of naming conventions again. The Romans used what today is called a sling. The slingshot mentioned refers to the forked stick design with rubber bands. These couldn't have really come in until vulcanized rubber was commonly available - probably not until the first inner tubes wore out and were replaced.
Perhaps we should post pictures of slings, staff slings, slingshots, and various ancient weapons that used either torsion, flat spring, or gravity to propel objects - each captioned with its currently accepted name, but that seems like overkill.  :loco:

Alan

Offline nrml

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »
This thread brings back great childhood memories of cutting forked branches off trees and ripping up bicycle inner tubes to make catapults (or slingshots). Guava trees made the best handles. If you were were posh, you bought square rubber cords instead of using strips of inner tube.

I bought one from a local craftsman a few years back to do some plinking but I never used it because I feel bad about scattering lead or steel balls in the environment. Does anyone have any suggestions for environmentally friendly ammo that is consistent enough for target practice? It would be nice to relive some childhood memories

Offline Joules

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 05:54:16 PM »
Acorns...
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 06:02:50 PM »
Bio-degradeable airsoft ammo: 6 or 8 mm diameter and will seriuosly test your aim

I think these are just starch balls with a shinny starch outer wrap
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Pete49

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 10:31:38 PM »
We would use what is called pebbles or gravel, as near to eviro friendly as you could get. We seldom here in our patch used a forked stick but used single length strip of bicycle tube with the pocket (?) tied at the back. Very accurate but a misfire certainly had its moments. Best thing was it was easy to put in your pocket and have fun to and from school. Ahhh the days of our youth.... wouldn't be dead for quids. The rubber(?) tubes now seem a lot less stretchy.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline modelman1938

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »
They are known as catapults here in the UK and we always made from a fork stick cut from our privet hedge in the garden, we used 3/16 or 1/4 square rubber which we purchased from our local sports shop and a yard length always worked out about 34ins. long, a nasty piece of work was Mr White.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
IIRC; The square rubber (3/16 or 1/4 inch) was always called "Rabbit Elastic"

Why?? I have no idea!

In the good old days you could also go into the hardware shop and buy snares (for Wabbits!)

Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:59 PM »
We just used surgical tubing for ours, or buddy would hold a piece over his head while kneeling letting you shoot a bent nail fairly acurate!

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »
We had the original "Whammo" slingshots in addition to the home made ones.
The dumbest thing I remember doing with one  :doh:  was to shoot a 1/4 inch steel ball (standard Whammo ammo) straight up. You can see it go a ways and then disappear ... quick run in the house so as to not get hit on the head.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:46 AM »
I recall 'Catty-Why's' usually made from a bit of planking. The rubber was either push bike inner tubing or posher square rubber.
  There was also 'carbide guns' made from the calcium carbide bits from coal miners knocking the remains from miner's lamps when they 'came to bank'. We put it in lemonade bottles and urinated in it, to fire the corks.
I'm quite ancient and we had steel ink pens and ink. This was about 1940-41 and there still pre-war rubber bands which could be joined up and would fire broken nibs. The Y was made from finger and thumb. There was a time when one missed the headmaster and impaled itself in the blackboard. I had a rather interesting childhood. One graduated into- Borstal( or others in my class did)

The most serious remark- however- is the origin of 'ballistics' and I would put it- not in the Romans- but in the Balearic Islands( Balleares, Espana) whose incumbents were the stone throwers to the Roman Armies. Certainly, there was and is plenty of limestone available.

And then there was 9mm Sten guns- made for 'half a dollar' from bed springs and steel piping. Another misspent youthful activity.

Norman

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
Nowadays we have sheets of latex we cut our bands from. 
Still use mostly leather pouches. 
Ammo is all over the place from rocks -- we have competitions called "Dennis the menace" where you try to hit a target using NON UNIFORM rocks.  Even the best can barely hit 1 or 2 times --
marbles, steel ball bearings, lead of all shapes (though this isn't all that common), basically anything that can fly somewhat straight.

If y'all get a chance, stop by http://slingshotforum.com/ or http://www.theslingshotforum.com/ and check out some of the BRILLIANT craftsmanship....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster