Author Topic: Hydroponic Piggies  (Read 5137 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Hydroponic Piggies
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
Just completed one of those little jobs that have been waiting 'on the list' since last year  :thumbup:

My pigs are on concrete, now if they were on earth, in hot weather, they'd dig a 'wallow' to keep themselves cool. But thankfully they can't dig in the concrete. So up till now I've been cooling them down with a hose pipe in hot weather. It works but isn't entirely satisfactory for them or me.

So last summer I bought a 'hydroponic misting kit' - probably intended for growing dodgy plants on the QT - and then I realised that if I just fixed it to the railings, they'd chew it off in no time short. Nothing high up to fix it to, until I hit on the idea of using vertical scaffold poles - alreay had the poles and pole caps, just needed some suitable scaffold clips.

Ebay provided, and I installed it all this morning. Steel reinforced washing line strung between the pole tops as a cantenary, and cheap nasty plastic hydroponic kit cable tied  to it giving spray nozzles every metre. Luckily I tested it first and remade the four 'pushfit' joints that popped off  :bang: Kit slightly too short so extended to stand pipe via 4 mm nylon airline hose.

Altogether didn't go too badly, and at least it's done before the weather gets very hot - don't want roast pork while still on the hoof  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
Re: Hydroponic Piggies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:17:47 PM »
Ehhh Andrew you spoil those mobile bacon sarnys, when do they get the sunglasses and sun block?   :lol: :lol:

John

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
You may joke but the light skinned pigs do need suncream when the weather gets brighter, or they burn just like children on  the beach.

Downside of outdoors rearing I suppose

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 03:12:38 AM »
Morning Andrew

Would that not be the case if they had a wallow, Would the mud act as sun block ?

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 03:34:34 AM »
Yes the mud as you say acts as a sun block. When I built the new sty, I had at first intended to put a sunken area in with earth fill. (A bit like a kids sand pit!)  But then I realised that the next issue would be new born piglets drowning in the inevitable puddle that would form every time it rains.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »
Definitely pampered  pigs  :thumbup:

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
does it improve the flavour??? :drool:

You can also take "rainbow pictures" as the sun light goes thro' the mist?

Thought from the thread title you were getting into dodgy genetic experiments !

re sunblock could you not add fine clay to the water and spray that "coating them" ,works with whitewash on greenhouse?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
.... no we're going to offer 'pig wrestling' as a side line for the holiday cottage guests  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
You may joke but the light skinned pigs do need suncream when the weather gets brighter, or they burn just like children on  the beach.

Downside of outdoors rearing I suppose

Ooh goody I love crackling  :drool:

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »
Love the idea of the misting system.

As pigs are probably the most intelligent of farm animals could you not rig up a water feeder with a micro switch so that when they are a bit hot then "snout-in" the water feeder and get a 5 minute cool shower!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/