Author Topic: CNC Mill - Finally!  (Read 9760 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
CNC Mill - Finally!
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:38:17 PM »
Hi all,

It has been a long time since I have posted a project on here. And this project has been a long time coming. I have been talking about this and gathering pieces for the past 4 years or so.

So the background on this one. I currently own (for the past 10 years) a Harbor Freight X2 mini mill. It as been modded... Belt drive, X and Y have been CNC'd (fignoggle plans), cheap Chinese scales and delrin anti-backlash nuts (again, Fignoggle). It has been a work horse for me. However, it is small. It does have the weak tilting column and required major tweaking ALL THE TIME.

Here it is in it's current state.

I had just recently thought about buying a Grizzly G0704 to CNC. A little bit bigger and supposedly, a bit better on the build quality. But, since I had already started buying parts for the upgrade, started buying parts for a CNC router and didn't feel like jumping on the G0704 band wagon, I decided to keep on with my current path of upgrading the X2.

My plan is this:

1. Use the SX2 base and table. This gives a table the is over 50% larger (supposedly) and increased range in the X and Y (30%). With some simple mods, I should get more!
2. Solid mount column from the SX2 (LMS Version). This will fix the flexiflyer column it has now.
3. Ballscrews
4. Dual airspring support for the head (instead of using a counter weight)
5. Brass gibs. Seems to be a popular mod... however, I am considering re cutting the ways to 60* and make sure everything is parallel and perpendicular.
6. Some type of auto or oneshot oil system
7. Coolant
8. New stand
9. Possibly a new motor (treadmill?), though I do have a new controller for the stock X2 motor.

Plus a few more things here and there.

Parts pile!

My first step, while I wait for stock and bearings, is to redesign the stepper mounts.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

RobWilson

Re: CNC Mill - Finally!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:41:07 AM »
Well its about time Eric  :)

Its looks like you have all the parts ready to take  that X2 to the next level  :headbang:

Rob 

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:05:29 PM »
I have some plans for the X & Y axis that I got from mduckett over at cnc zone. He is doing an outstanding job on his conversion. Thread is HERE. It is worth looking at.

I am going to base my mounts off of his with some changes (my ballscrews are different than his). Plus, I want a small spacer between the table and bearing mounts to squeeze just a little extra travel for the table.

As far as bearings go, I am going to use 5201-2RS sealed double row bearings. I have seen multiple configurations on bearings for CNC conversions. Feeling kind of stupid as to why. Anyone see any reason not to use that type of bearing?

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33:18 AM »
As far as bearings go, I am going to use 5201-2RS sealed double row bearings. I have seen multiple configurations on bearings for CNC conversions. Feeling kind of stupid as to why. Anyone see any reason not to use that type of bearing?
Eric

Plan for one opposing set of Thrust Bearings per LeadScrew. Standard 5201 Bearings will have Axial Backlash which will eventually drive you nuts ... They are OK for the non-thrust end of the LeadScrews though.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »
So I bought the 5201-RS bearings. I also got a set of thrust bearings. They are on their way. Will be ordering some aluminum stock on Tuesday. I hope to start milling the motor mounts in about a week.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
Well, I am stuck for a bit. Started to do some work and the motor has just about killed itself. I have ordered a treadmill motor to replace the current stock mill motor.

I know I am going to have to make a pulley (or bore the current one out) so it works with my belt drive. And thus, I need to fix the lathe as well. I had started to make tapered gibs for it and need to finish before I really use it for anything else. I also have an extended slide for it and a RealBull 4" spindle.

So, I may have to start another thread for the lathe before I can make any progress on the mill.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
This is an excellent argument for having two of EVERYTHING Eric as you always can use one to fix the other  :lol:

(or at least that's what I tell the wife)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:42 PM »
This is an excellent argument for having two of EVERYTHING Eric as you always can use one to fix the other  :lol:

I agree whole heatedly!
Science is fun.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »

do you mean there are two Mrs Andrew Mawsons ?
                          :jaw:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
I hope one of them isn't the legendary evil twin!   :)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 02:19:52 PM »
I make absolutely NO comment  :lol:

(However, when I bought my last house many years ago, the chap who sold it to me obviously ran more than one household, as when he died BOTH wives turned up at the funeral, and neither knew about the other - apparently feathers flew  :clap: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
Ok. So I gave up on making the X and Y axis on my own. I have projects waiting on this, so time better spent building. I went out and bought a CNCFusion 2 axis kit. I did not like the design for the Z axis, so that I will make myself.

I have gotten some work done. wasn't very thoughtful about taking pictures as I go, but here are a few:

I am using some iGaging DROs. I decided to front mount the X axis, but wanted to protect it from swarf and the eventual use of coolant... enter, the L shaped aluminum:

I also built one for the Y axis. Of course, no pictures. I also made a spacer for the X axis motor mount and did some cutting to gain about an inch of travel. Again, no pictures. I also did the gas spring conversion on the X2.

I do have some at this point, and you can see both of the above. Ignore the mess, I am cleaning and reorganizing at the same time.

I have to fix the wiring to the motor. Route the wiring then on to tuning the 2 axes. After that, I should be able to start making chips for the Z axis.

So the list to be completed

1. Z axis
2. Change from laptop controller to a mini desktop
3. Build a new controller box instead of the crap PC case
4. Build a real enclosure
5. new motor mount. I have a 2.6 HP treadmill motor

Stay tuned for more...
Science is fun.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
Looking good so far!

Offline chipenter

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
That X+ and - is a good idea .
Jeff

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »
That X+ and - is a good idea .

Thanks Jeff... but it is not my idea. The CNCfusion kit has that on it. On the Y axis, it has all 3 axis directions.
Science is fun.