Author Topic: Aquiring Materials for Projects  (Read 10320 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Aquiring Materials for Projects
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
This past Saturday was a successful day as far as making a materials score. The local transfer station (town dumping station) was open. I know the attendant very well since him and I are close friends. I scored several things I always keep my eyes open for.

First score was a remote control car. Below is what's left of it after I disassembled it to the point of what I wanted.

What good is it? Well it has a differential, wheels, extra motors and plenty of gearing. The clear rings are a unique item. They have an LED in them, and when lit light the whole ring up. They were mounted to the fancy wheels.

Now the reason I kept these items. The wheels and diff plus it's associated gearing make an excellent base to build a steam powered vehicle. Just remove the electric motor and substitute the steam engine and of course a boiler. This idea came from "Crabfu Toys". Don't knew the link right off hand, but if you Google it you'll find some interesting steam powered toys.

Next I scored an electric powered scooter. The batteries are next to it. It's a little over 24" long and will haul around a 120lb person, so it says on the label.

Here's a close up of the motor drive arrangement. The motor is rated at 24VDC, 3000rpm, 10A, 135W

A close up of the batteries. They are two 12volt batteries hooked in series to give 24volts.

Next are all the items I'm going to keep. Left is the motor, batteries and the rear driven wheel with the brake. Only reason I'm keeping this is to get a dimension of the driven cog. The control cables. It had both a throttle cable and then an extra cable attached to the brake handle which had a switch in it. I believe is was used to disconnect the circuit so you won't apply brakes and power at the same time. The square block with the blue cube on it in the lower left is the controller.

Being interested in 1.5" live steam or 1.5" model railroading, these items above can be used for an electric powered loco. Although I haven't tested them yet to see if they even run. That'll be next.

The final score of the day was a milling machine made in Sweden. I don't recall the name of it right now. Only problem was it was in pieces and had been laying out side. It was at a persons house a few miles down the road from me. He asked if either one of us ( the attendant or me) was into scrap metal. When he said mill my ears perked up. I went and looked the mill. He had already given the two motors away to somebody to make 3 phase converters. There were two 6HP motors running this mill.
When I looked at it I figured it won't be worth putting back together but dragged it home anyway. Just before we got all of the parts loaded we had a fierce wind storm and then it poured like crazy. I had to leave one item behind and that was a bush hog (large rotary mower towed be hind a tractor) with a 5 foot cutting width. I'll be back next week to get that. All for free.

And here are the pics of the mill still on the trailer. It's been to cold to investigate further on this item. Will report on that after some warmer weather gets here.

So I've added a few more items to my  :proj: list.

Hope this has given somebody ideas for projects. As I said I've always wanted to build a radio controlled steam powered vehicle. Now I've got the parts to do it cheaply.

My quest for electrical parts to build an electric powered 1.5" scale locomotive continues.

And as far as the mill goes, it might get turned into a few good pieces of cast iron and the rest scrapped for a bit of cash to spend on tooling. That remains to be seen though.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Aquiring Materials for Projects
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Good finds there Bernd  :thumbup:  :nrocks:

That mills looks like it was in good nick before it got stripped down  :hammer: you may be able to make use of what's left its probably got some good well seasoned cast iron in it.

A real useful friend to have.

Keep looking

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:44:38 PM »
Stew,

I'm kind of looking at keeping the table. It seems to have a good thickness to it for some mighty fine chuncks to be taken out.

I'm kind of glad Bogs mentioned once on using stuff like this find to look for a piece of an engine part or a project in there.

I personally think it's beyond saving, but I haven't taken a close look yet.

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
Ummm

Cool score!!!

Speaking of cool....

Where the heck are you that its too cold to go outside!?!?!?

Granted were in a sub-tropical zone.. here in Florida.. and its 90 Outside with high humidity...   But where in the states other than Alaska is it still cold out?
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
Well Spin if you travel I95 north about 1,000 miles you'll end up in New York.  :) And I don't mean New York City. You need to bare west a bit after entering the state.

Actually I live 20 miles south of Rochester, New York, home of the yellow box (Kodak). We had that storm come through that came in from the west that created a bit of havoc in the south west. It got up to 51 hear today and it was damp, plus the wind was blowing a bit to making for a chill index cooler than 51.

Oh, we get all the cold air that the Canooks can send us.  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:08:25 PM »
Ohhh yes.

My old neighbor was from Upstate. His family owns some ginormous junk yard chain.. or junk car chain.. or something. I gather its the largest in the state.
He had ZERO NY attitude, accent or anything. For the longest time I thought he was BSing me about being from NY.

All the pictures I saw were very similar to the ones in your post.. GORGEOUS country. And from what he said, COLD.

I guess the lake effect stuff that blows on over really plays havok with things. As the firm I work for has a 2nd home office in Michigan, I was always watching the weather, and saw a lot of snow going East from there..

I would say Im jealous... but Im not sure of that...  :D

I sadly looking at the south side of our roof, and kicking myself for not re-doing the shingles on it a month or two ago before it got so unbearably hot. And its gonna get worse too LOL.
SPiN Racing

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »
The only nice thing I like about Florida is that it doesn't have snow. When your on the tractor plowing a 1/10 mile long driveway in a 30mph wind with the snow blowing in your face you wish you were in a warmer climate. But when spring gets here you forget all about how cold it really was.  :D

Bernd

Offline Pelallito

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:43 AM »
Bernd,
Those of us down in Florida pray for winter to hurry up and get here. All of the one or two weeks of "cold" weather that we get!
Fred

Offline TFL45

• Model Steam Engine Construction - Novice
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »

Bernd

Bernd,

Just doing our bit for Global Warming! Can't let you get too hot and bothered!  :wave:

Floyd
TFL45

There's no need to be precise if you don't know what you're talking about!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »

Bernd,

Just doing our bit for Global Warming! Can't let you get too hot and bothered!  :wave:

Floyd

Ya, but why does it have to be in the winter? Why can't it be in the hottest part of the season?  :)

Bernd

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
Well Spin if you travel I95 north about 1,000 miles you'll end up in New York.  :) And I don't mean New York City. You need to bare west a bit after entering the state.

Actually I live 20 miles south of Rochester, New York, home of the yellow box (Kodak). We had that storm come through that came in from the west that created a bit of havoc in the south west. It got up to 51 hear today and it was damp, plus the wind was blowing a bit to making for a chill index cooler than 51.

Bernd
Or you get it from us after we get it from Michigan or Canada. Travel about an hour West, Bernd, and you come to the Buffalo suburbs. The way we get the wind from the West it seems like it starts somewhere North of Lake Superior. We had to replace the roofing last Fall - I had them use 80 MPH [129 KPH] rated shingles. This spring it seems as if the whole neighborhood is getting new roofing.

Alan

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:36 AM »
Ah yes, Buffalo. Used to go train watching there a lot, right along Rt. 130 I believe it was.

If the wind comes out of the north west we get good lake effect snow in the winter. Seldom comes straight out of the west.

So your a New Yorker?

Bernd

Offline Alan Haisley

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Ah yes, Buffalo. Used to go train watching there a lot, right along Rt. 130 I believe it was.

If the wind comes out of the north west we get good lake effect snow in the winter. Seldom comes straight out of the west.

So your a New Yorker?

Bernd
Only for a couple more days. We are packing to move to North Carolina, near Raleigh.

Alan

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
Alan,

Save trip. I'll send you some cold air now and then to keep you cool.  :D

Bernd