Author Topic: Tailstock drill chuck is spinning  (Read 4879 times)

Offline fatoftheland

Tailstock drill chuck is spinning
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
Hello everyone. Newbie question again.

I have a warco 918 lathe with a mt2 tailstock. when I put the drill chuck in the tailstock and try to drill the whole chuck and mt2 shaft spin in the tailstock sleeve. So the drill is spinning the same speed as the chuck and obviously not doing anything.  I've tried whacking the chuck in with a plastic mallet but it still turns, even by hand.
Thanks in advance
Cheers Jon

Offline fatoftheland

Re: Tailstock drill chuck is spinning
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 08:32:42 AM »
I may have answered my own question. It's not meant to be oiled.  :doh: Cleaned out with carb cleaner and spot on now!

Offline PK

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
I pulled the tailstock piston out and added a largish grub screw to give the tang on MT tools something to stop against (my chinese lathe lacked this feature) made a big difference when using large or sharp drills..

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »
 Sounds like the Morse socket isn't very accurate. A MT drill or chuck arbor should grip even if oiled, and certainly not rely on the tang for drive.

The tang is there for ejection not drive.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
Try using some bluing on it to see if it's making proper contact.

Offline PK

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 11:41:53 PM »

The tang is there for ejection not drive.
True. Once the tool is in and has had some pressure applied via the feed then it sticks and doesn't spin. (except for the sharp ones that grab and pull out).

But I did have problems starting a cut say, with a 15mm drill opening up a 12mm hole, where the tool would spin fairly reliably at the start. Drove me nuts.
The bed on my lathe is quite short, so 'slide the tool in with a bit of feeling' is trickier than it sounds..

My old drill press has a slot that the tang goes into, at least one of the lathes I've owned had a similar arrangement..

I suspect you are right though, the problem is an error in the taper..  I don't own an MT3 reamer. but I do own some grub screws.... Works for me..

PK

Offline fatoftheland

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 03:29:01 AM »
It works fine now thank you all. Now I have to contend with the drive belt flinging itself off!