Author Topic: Dual Fuel Gingery Type Furnace  (Read 61779 times)

inthesticks

Re: Dual Fuel Gingery Type Furnace
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:01 AM »
Hello John, yes this was a consideration when I fitted the 2 bushings on the ends to prevent loss of the locking link. With one hand on the bushings and one on the locking link there seems to be enough grip to prevent unwanted rotation. If I find this insufficient I plan on welding short pipe sections to the ends of the bushings to form a T handle.

Cheers
CB

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
Following along with great interest,still enjoying every post on this thread  :thumbup:

....OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

inthesticks

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »
Thanks OZ, I appreciate the support.

Got 250 lbs. of fine sand to mix my green sand with today. Will eventually go with my own local sand but to avoid screening and washing I decided to go with purchased sand to start off with. A few more accessories and were ready to try this out. :clap:

Cheers
CB

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »
I got sand for mortar from the quarry it is quite fine. The only thing wrong with 250 lbs of sand is having to mix it!  :D

inthesticks

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2016, 07:11:28 PM »
That may be similar to what I have, 85 mesh morter and jointing sand. I have sand pockets on my property that are finer than that but I don't want to get sidetracked with its preperation right now. 250 lbs? na thats a morning stroll before coffee, as long as I don't have to do it every day. :whip:  :)

Cheers Tom
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
Not doing much this weekend, enjoying the comfortable sunny weather we are getting. I took a couple hr's out this morning to set up my molding area. Decided to set it up in one of the 3 heated shops I have attached to the house. This will allow me to melt on the patio on mild winter days without concerns of frozen molding sand or molds. All sand mixing done on the patio, the only mixing in the shop being the occassional adjustment to temper. With the floor layout complete
now, this shop is ready for a couple of coats of paint to.  :whip:  :)

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
A couple of things this morning. Took John B's suggestion and added a T handle to the end of the pouring shank. Can't be to safe. I also added a plate across the pouring side of the shank. This will give extra support on the pouring side and I am hoping it will provide a dam to strain the slag and crude from the pour allowing me to dispose of it after the pour. Hope this works slagging a crucible of iron sounds like a pretty dodgy proccess. :(

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
Put together a pouring and green sand mixing box this afternoon. Its just 2 X 4's with a 2' X 5" 20 guage galvanized sheet metal bottom.I can mix my green sand in it and when I pour it will get a couple of inches of sand in the bottom, set up tight to the furnace I can pour 3 molds comfortably.

Mixed up 150 lbs of molding sand, the formula from one of D. Gingery's books:
150 lbs of sand
10% bentonite clay=15 lbs.
1% wheat flour=1 lbs 8 ounces
1/2 gallon water

Stopped adding water when it still felt to dry and continued to mix a couple times over. Tried the compacted handfull test showed good detail and broke clean without to much crumbling. Moved inside to the molding bench and covered with plastic to finish tempering, Should improve with time as the moisture permeates all of the clay and flour particles.

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2016, 06:31:31 PM »
Had a number of ideas for the pouring shank for my little steel crucible. Commited today and went with this. The wieght balance feels good, hopefully it pours as well.

Cheers
CB

Offline Homebrewer

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2016, 06:39:46 PM »
Good looking pouring shank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

inthesticks

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Thanks LibbyHillBrewer. If the weather cooperates I'm hoping for a pour tomorrow to try the idea out.

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »
They forcast rain for later today but took a chance anyway and decided to run melting tests on the atmospheric burner.
Pictures:

1 The furnace ready to go, 2, 5 lb. charges of aluminum ready to go.
2 2 molds and the ingot mold ready to go, a salvaged SS grinder water pot to be used for the skimmed goo of the top of melt.
3 Safety equipment, pouring shank and Omega temp. meter.

Lit the furnace at 1:32 , gas press. at 20 psi and furnace cold.
1:38 initial charge melted, continued to add metal till pot 1/2" from lip.
1:48 Pot full, checked temp 1382*F , shut furnace down and skimmed melt, inserted shank and poured first mould remainder in ingot mold.
Melt time 16 min. from cold.

Returned crucible to furnace recharged with aluminum.
2:03 burner back on furnace hot added aliminum to fill pot to 1/2" of lip again.
2:16 Pot full, checked temp. 1406*F, shut down burner skimmed and poured.
Melt time from hot 13 min.

For 5 lbs the melt times are amazing. You bairly have time to catch your breath before moving to the next step.
The pouring shank worked like a champ, slide it in and that crucible is part of your arm, very good control.

Cheers
CB

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 08:22:25 PM by inthesticks »

inthesticks

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Continuing on with todays melt. Didn't want to get bogged down making patterns at this point so a decided to cast some more screwdivers and handles and just for a little fun a saucer. As most probably know casting a sauser, cup, and spoon is a classic test the old time apprentice used to work towards to become a molder. He could probably do a better job with just the saucer on his first day than I did here but hey the last time I made a casting was 31 years ago. Of course the difficult part is the cup and spoon. the complete casting requiers a 3 part mold. Maybe someday I'll get good enough to try it. This furnace can certainly melt the metal to keep trying.

So out of this melt I got 2-1.5 lb. clean ingots, 12 stubby screwdrivers and handles for files and punches, and the first step in a saucer cup and spoon casting.  :)

That rain finally did come, more tomorrow so maybe Saterday we will test the dual burner.

Cheers
CB

Offline PK

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2016, 06:49:53 PM »
Wow, those melt times are VERY fast!

inthesticks

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
Yes they are PK I was amazed I had to work just to keep up. They weren't kidding when they called it a "Monster Burner" mine is a little more "monster" because of the larger intake bell. :clap:

Cheers
CB

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »
Nice castings! I have only used the cope and drag never the 3 part system yet one day perhaps I'll have to give it a go.

inthesticks

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2016, 07:46:29 PM »
Thanks Tom. I am not happy with the finish but thats what learning is all about, The finish is a little rough and there were a few small incluesions, maybe my sand needs an adjustment or I am pouring to hot (certainly had no trouble filling the mold) or both.

Yes its an interesting skill testing problem if you go to FOUNDRY 101.COM you can see a picture montage of the whole proccess, very interesting.

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2016, 10:42:36 PM »
And here are the 4 stubbies I cast, the flash filed off and wire wheeled to shine them up. Turned out very nice good wieght and will last for my forever. I think at least a dozen more are in order.

Cheers
CB

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2016, 03:25:18 AM »
Magnificent CB - so enthralling, forgot to reach for the popcorn!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Dave (IOM)

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2016, 03:39:14 AM »
Great result CB, well worth the journey and to see the end result Yea.  :beer: :bow: :clap:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

inthesticks

« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
Thanks guys. I have enjoyed it to, heavan came early this summer. I am looking forward to enjoying many casting projects over the next few years.

Cheers All  :beer: :beer:
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2016, 04:50:16 PM »
Heres half the contents of the second mold. File handles cleaned up with a file and wire wheel, a few rough spots and a few small incluesions but very servicable. I have a whole drawer full of files so I will be making lots more of these.

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2016, 10:13:01 PM »
Just to finish up with the proceeds of this test melt. I was going to put small punches on these stubby handles but decided small files would be a better match.
Feel good in hand, should improve what is often tedious work. Not a bad little haul for a first pour.

Cheers
CB

Offline mattinker

« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »
Nice to see you've gone from theory to practice!!

Al those nice handles! It would be good if you could varnish or dip them in something, keep the Al out of your system. I'm being treated for heavy metals at the moment, it would be good if you avoided them!

All the best, Matthew

inthesticks

« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2016, 11:45:07 PM »
Yes I should vanish them but only to keep them from oxidizing and losing their shine, I'm not concerned about absorbing aluminum from handling them. I would be more concerned if I was raising it's temp. to the boiling point and breathing the gas as would also be the case with zinc or lead only much more toxic and much lower boiling points. There are kitchens with only aluminum pots and pans by that logic alot of people should have been poisoned by now from stirring food at elevated temperatures in aluminum cooking utensils. My understanding is that heavy metal poisoning mostly occers from breathing the fumes or absorbing the liguid such as mercury. Some metals are not toxic your body requires a small amount iron for example any exccess is simply passed from the body.

I feel for your condition but I don't feel you aquired your condition from handling aluminum utensils.

Cheers
CB