Author Topic: Four jaw chucks  (Read 3774 times)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Four jaw chucks
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:59:58 AM »
I need a Chuck for my rotary table , got one at the week end (but its the wrong fitting) so I can use it on something else and I need to start again , I would like to be able to not have to use a backplate but the table has four T slots so a lot of face fixing chucks will not fit so I was wondering if there is any problem using four jaw self centering as oposed to 3 jaw self centering, are there any draw backs with the 4 jaw or advantages.
I have a 4 jaw individual chuck that will prob be hand for some things but a lot that I want to do are things like holes drilled in the edge of portholes and things that would be a lot quicker in a self centering chuck , I tried the 4 individual one and I lost the will to live after a bit and did them free hand.
Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

bogstandard

Re: Four jaw chucks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:38:48 AM »
Peter,

Our American cousins seem to think that it is normal to use an independant four jaw on the RT, and spend half their lives setting them up. A sure sign of masochism. Each to their own of course, everyone has their own way of doing things.

I personally use both three and four jaw self centring on my RT, preferring the four jaw most times. I have found thru experience that they do seem to be a little more accurate in the runout stakes. But also, I do tend to use the soft jaws a lot, and just bore out in situ with a milling cutter to get the accuracy I want.

The ideal is in fact having both 3 and 4 jaw self centring. That does allow a little flexibility when thru drilling, as you can most times, set up so that you are not drilling into one of the chuck jaws. That is why I went for my adaptable system of using Myford back plates for both lathe and RT.

So if I was to give you the advice, I would go with your idea of the four jaw self centring.

But don't forget to make yourself a centring spigot for the RT, it will save you hours of time in getting the chuck centred on the RT. If your RT has a 2MT central hole, just buy a cheap machineable MT blank, and machine it up to fit in the hole in the back of the chuck. There is one disadvantage to that though, you are limited to the length of parts you can hold in the chuck, but, on the plus side, if the part drops down the middle hole, you can usually get it out with a pearl picker or magnet rather than having to remove the whole RT to retrieve the part (hence the trick of stuffing a bit of paper down the central hole when depth isn't an issue).

If you need adapters or plates machining up, don't be afraid to ask.

John

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: Four jaw chucks
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 06:16:59 AM »
Thanks for that John I had not thought of making a 2mt setting tool that will save me hours of time I think Ill go for the 4 jaw then Ill have more Height to play with without the backplate. and yes tried the four jaw independent once
and as you said, Life is to short.
Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure