Author Topic: Need Help Wiring DC Motor with PWM  (Read 16261 times)

RobWilson

Re: Need Help Wiring DC Motor with PWM
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
Aye its a possibility John  :thumbup:   I am just used to the wiring on Zapi,Curtis and Sevcon type PWM controllers  :palm:

Personally I would hook up the motor direct to the PWM unit bypassing the relays and see if there was then any motor control. If there was motor control then that would rule out a  faulty PWM controller  . Then the fault has to be in the relay wiring .  :zap:

Rob

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 01:04:49 PM by RobWilson »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
Aye its a possibility John  :thumbup:

Personally I would hook up the motor direct to the PWM unit bypassing the relays and see if there was then any motor control. If there was motor control then that would rule out a  faulty PWM controller  . Then the fault has to be in the relay wiring .  :zap:

Rob

Absolutely, if ever there's doubt, always go back to basics.....

Anyway I'm off to whittle some metal...... :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

RobWilson

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »
And what are you whittling ?  a fan maybe  :poke:

I have a choice tonight make a curry or fit my new DRO to mill mmmmmmmmmm.

Just as a side note if there is anyone in the North of England that is in  need of an  electric vehicle tweaked / faults read , (FLT, access equipment , tow tractor,  golf buggy  )  drop me a PM

Just a few of the handheld programmers for electric vehicles  I own and work with daily .

Rob

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:37:36 PM by RobWilson »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »
And what are you whittling ?  a fan maybe  :poke:

I have a choice tonight make a curry or fit my new DRO to mill mmmmmmmmmm.

Rob

Ummm, fan,yep...needs doing.

Curry or mill?

Gotta be a curry with a few beers....mill can wait.. :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
Thanks again for all your help. The PWM is just a generic brand from China, similar to the one in the picture below. I tested it by directly hooking it up to the motor and it works just fine. Like I mentioned, I also tried a second PWM in the first circuit diagram. Both failed to regulate the speed the way I had it wired. I'm guessing that the battery voltage was overriding the modulated voltage. I'm going to rewire it using the newly supplied diagrams and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:57 PM »
We have a winner!!! First diagram I used was the one from daGrouch and it worked perfectly. Motor direction reverses as needed and speed control is perfect. No hiccups whatsoever. And so simple. Lots of smart people on this forum, I'm so glad I joined.

Just for future reference I have included the diagram from daGrouch.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 05:54:01 PM »
Out of interest what ampage is the motor your using? Is there a reason for not just doing it with a DPDT-CO switch?
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline snub

• Canada
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »
I'm using a 5 amp fuse and it's not blowing so something less than 5. The wires from the motor are 18 gauge so I didn't figure it would draw many amps.
The reason for the SPDT switch is because I'm working on a project to use newer style headlight motors on my '66 Corvette that originally came with the old style motors where the case was grounded. I want to use the original switch that was used on these cars.