Author Topic: Hand Files  (Read 4143 times)

Offline mexican jon

Hand Files
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
It's time I invested in some new hand files 8"-10" size  :scratch: I still have some very good smaller ones (CK) but I'm struggling to identify a good set of larger files  :( any suggestions  :bang:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline smiffy

Re: Hand Files
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
How about these

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
About the only ones these days which are good that I know of is Valorbe. Some available in UK via Axminster. Second would be Bahco öberg made in Portugal. After that it quickly gets worse. Some of the Nicholson offerings are usable as well. My favorite files are the Swedish made öberg ones. I snap up any I can find. It's a crying shame they moved production to Portugal, although they still make decent files.
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline diagnosticated

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 05:55:36 AM »
Only my experience but the last few Bahco files I have bought new have been useless. They cut worse than the old ones they were replacing.

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
It's time I invested in some new hand files 8"-10" size  :scratch: I still have some very good smaller ones (CK) but I'm struggling to identify a good set of larger files  :( any suggestions  :bang:

Kennedy brand files from Cromwell Tools are very good.
Decent steel and properly through-hardened. (The cheap, don't-last files are usually low-grade steel that's been case hardened. That's why they don't last.)

Available in every size, shape and cut you could ever need, and pretty reasonably priced, too.

Remember though, they don't come with a handle. Buy those separately.

No connection with the company myself. I just work in one of those jobs where we still do a fair bit of hand filing, and always get my files from them.
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."