Author Topic: ot - Landy  (Read 17154 times)

Offline Andrew Wildman

ot - Landy
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
I not sure if this is suitable for this forum, but it will be consuming a lot of time so I suppose it counts as a project.  I have just bought a tax exempt series 3 landy.  Only work so far is a rebuild of the swivels as they were seized nearly solid (still passed its MOT :scratch:) but I am sure there will be lots to come.....

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: ot - Landy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »
Looking forward to following along with this project Andrew - I like a good Land Rover rebuild.

(I've just had my Discovery 2 rebuilt on a new galvanised chassis)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
Perfectly suitable for this forum.

Please... log away!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
The one vehicle I always wanted to own....    :drool:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:14:47 AM »
I've done a couple of complete rebuilds of these beasts in the past from a new chassis upwards.

The last one was refinished with a coat of Tekaloid Marine Blue. I liked the colour so much that I've since  painted my Harrison lathe with it and several other restored workshop machines.

As Eric said,please log away to your hearts content,I'll be happy to watch.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
One of my favorite advertisements of all times was a (mid-1960's) full-page advert in the New York Times.  The central photo was of a Land Rover that was seriously twisted, bent, and thoroughly munged.  The caption read,"We believe that four is the maximum number of bull elephant gorings survived by a Land Rover.  If yours has survived more, please contact us a (XXX) NNN-NNNN.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »
 :drool:seems a perfect way to spend a few months to me....

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
So,
I have spent a few months getting used to the old truck.  A full rebuild will have to wait but I have done a few bits and pieces.

Exhaust support was shot so I remade it

The clutch also failed coming back from rutland water (about an hour away).  After changing the hydraulics (slave and master) to no effect I realised the clutch housing was full of oil and so had stuck.  this mean a clutch pressure plate and plate change as well as crankshaft rear seal and gearbox seals.

Floor out, seatbox out, handbrake off gearbox out through the door

diy clutch alignment tool

gearbox back in

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
while I as at it I also sorted out the seat box that had corroded where the seat belt fixes

I used a replacement panel

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »
Ooh. Lot's of work! Stinks about the clutch... good job on the fix.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
I used to have a Series IIa 2.6 litre LWB Station Wagon. I had to do a repair on the gearbox. It took me a whole day to get the floor out. Most of the bolts were seized and rounded off when a spanner was applied. I had to weld lumps of steel to the heads and the combination of heat and the extra leverage shifted them. Also, that gearbox is heavy! I removed it in pieces, alone, but there was no way that I could put it back on my own.
I had never seen the interior of a gearbox before, I had to replace the layshaft and one of the gears. I spent a long time checking it over before I put it back. Fortunately all was well.
I would love to obtain a series II or III to rebuild but find it too much effort to crawl underneath one these days. Good luck with yours.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
What is it, about Landies, and their owners?  :scratch:

Herbie. My pal's series 2. Has just recieved this year's Christmas card. From a previous owner......  :thumbup:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 06:13:57 PM »
Unless youve owned one you will never know marra. One cut and youre infected for life just like the wee hot air engines :Doh:
cheers
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 03:31:09 AM »
Norman, years back I had a 1968 6 pot series 2a LWA Safari. Pulled like a train but the fuel consumption was horrific, I'd get under 10 mpg pulling a small camping trailer. It blew a bit of oil.

I bit the bullet, pulled the engine out and did a total rebuild, rebored, new piston and rings, reground cam and crank shaft with all new bearings, rebuilt the twin Zenith carbs (may have been Solex) and put it all back together.

.... It then pulled like a train and I got under 10 mpg ....  :bang:

It was a big lump to work on and a bit of a pain as the head gasket line is at an angle to the axis of the bores, so the head is wedge shaped.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »
Mine was better than yours Andrew, I got 12 mpg :lol:
I had my engine rebuilt and then went off on holiday driving around Kenya. On the first day out I discovered that the mechanic had damaged the crankshaft oilseal and the oil was running out. When I got home I had fourteen empty 5 litre oil cans strapped to the roof! I traded them with a Masii lady for some trinkets, so all was not lost.

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 05:38:35 AM »
Land rovers: slow, loud, inefficient, sometimes unreliable but also great :headbang:

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 08:38:08 AM »
Plus the driving position is uncomfortable. The seat cannot move back far enough but it is still possible to drive long distances without too much discomfort.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »
But there IS something about a Land Rover that gets in the blood  :med:

My affair with Land Rovers started in my early life when my father bought a 1949 series 1 80" Tickford safari bodied one in about 1953. Worth an absolute fortune now as they are rare as rockinghorse poo. Only about 100 were made. My brother took it out to Nigeria, had it there for a few years and brought it back to blighty and sold it for £50  :bugeye:

This one just sold for £38,250 at auction !!!!

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Ridiculous price ...  :scratch:   about 1972 a bloke wanted £1100 for one of these :

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19766/lot/318/

My offer of £900 was refused ....  :hammer:  :hammer:

IIRC it's reg. was EARxxx

Bought a new 750 Bonneville instead ... absolute and utter gob-shite of a contraption ...

Boo - Hoo .....  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

Dave

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline pycoed

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
I see it has the most useful LandRover accessory already fitted (the towing eyes & towrope attached to the front bumper mounts) :)
I had one for 5 years back in the early 80's, before realising ('cos I'm pretty quick on the uptake dontchaknow) that they were the epitome of everything wrong with the British car industry. Just wait until you need to weld the chassis & find that your Christmas turkey breast was wrapped with thicker metal! Every thing broke on mine from the radiator to the rear crossmember, the only good thing was that everyone else's broke too, so there was lots of advice in how to fix it!! Lots of cheap parts too.
I swore never, ever, under any circumstances to get another, though strangely my missus actually liked it & suggested only recently we should get one again. AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
I suppose the Defender actually has a tubular chassis, not 4 strips of metal, turned down as substandard by Lancia, roughly welded into a box section. NO NO  :doh: Stop it! Come to your senses man & go & stroke the Hilux outside...

On the bright side - it should be a good long running thread!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
Just had the chassis replaced in it's entirety on my 2001 Discovery 2 - it had slight rust issues round the fuel tank which could easily have been fixed, but frankly as I intend to keep it for at least another  15 years a galvanised chassis seemed the best way forwards. Initially looked to buying a newer vehicle, but recoiled in horror at the masses of electronic boxes waiting to fail, and not many vehicles to choose from that can legally tow 3.5 tons :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
 I have mixed emotions about my ex landy...

it was a 1967 109 x Army dressed out in drab green, it road harder than a Russian Madam in dire need of a quick ruble, it had the turning circle of a three legged ferrule hog Lord only knows how the British maintained an empire with it. 

With fondness I named it Alvin the Saracen due to its battle history with me! not its previous life.. I drove home from the pub one night turned into the drive and drove through the brand new shed and ended up in the kitchen,, out the door i went for a week, she got her brother to drag the landy off the fridge.

I had gearbox problems for yonks, i stuffed 3lbs of saw-dust down the filler hole and it was by virtue a miracle how that knocking just stopped, six months later the core plugs popped, six times that lump came out for me to weld the crack right where the plug was seated, i cursed it, i often wondered why they put the plug in the lump in the first place considering it didn't work i now know its for casting.

Any-who... best of luck with yours..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
all wot he said I agree with but he forgot that if you needed to go further than your own driveway you needed a cut lunch and water back to survive the trip.
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 03:07:15 AM »
They must do something right - remember that 75% of the Land Rovers made since 1947 are still running and being used. That means that the average Land Rover is long in the tooth.

My own Discovery 2 is 15 years old, an age that would see most 'modern' cars in the scrap yard, but it still does a good days work and is surprisingly good cosmetically.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline wgw

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 05:31:56 AM »
I've had 3 or 4 series landrovers- the last one was very nice, from an oil worker with plenty of money, I fitted an ex MOD diesel motor and could get 30 mpg on a good day. Had to rethink when I found that getting the starter motor out was to much for the old back. Like most old cars they are not 100% reliable but are easily fixed. Never ever been stuck and not got home.