Author Topic: Hello from CB in Canada  (Read 8943 times)

inthesticks

Hello from CB in Canada
« on: June 08, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »
Hello I am retired and live in the noth of Ontario Canada.I love it up here . As indicated in my onscreen pic. If I don't cut my lawn early in spring I will get bears feeding on the lawn. If they don't come near the  house (and they seem to understand this  :clap:) I let them have thier fill.

I enjoy woodworking, metalworking, collecting books and nature. I have a number of machines that I have built, rebuilt or are awaiting rebuild in my shops.
When I was younger I cast some aluminum and loved the process. I recently started a new furnace build and will post pics and stats. when I finish.

I plan on a number of other metal melting related projects in the near future.

Cheers to all  :beer:
CB
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:23:39 PM by inthesticks »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Hellow from CB in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
Hi CB

Welcome to the collective :borg:

I am not in Northern CA, but we have bears as well. Unfortunately, they come pretty close to the house!

Let's see the machines!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Hello from CB in Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
Hi CB, welcome aboard  :thumbup:

Not had any bears here for several thousand years, but you just never know what might turn up  :bugeye:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 12:57:40 PM »
..... you just never know what might turn up  :bugeye:

We have the occasional Wallaby visit our farm on the Isle of Man ... and didn't you have an uninvited guest just before the family wedding a few weeks ago Andrew?

Dave
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:55:52 PM by DMIOM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:12:34 PM »
.... Just the odd wandering EMU  :ddb:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10835.0.html
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
Hi and welcome CB  :wave:

Your shop sounds just like mine with machines in various states of repair  :dremel: , You say your a book collector , what sort of subject matter ? 

Rob

No bears here either  :lol: 

inthesticks

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome.

Hi Rob. I have a very lage collection of books amased over the last 40 years. Most are technical oriented woodwork, metalwork, general science and a large
collection of DIY manuals, the Dave Gingery series for example. As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures I will get some posted.

Cheers :beer:
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
Pictures Yes will try;

The top tree pictures are a band saw I built years ago from scrap parts and lots of plywood. Loosely based on old Popular Mechanix plan. Put miles of wood through it still runs good. Next is a walker turner radial drill. Came to me as decommisioned scrap more rust than machine. The liquid metal I used to fill in the drilled out table is holding well so far. Runs great. The Last picture is a South Bend 10K lathe I have had awaiting rebuild for years. The ways are in perfect shape but its missing some hard to source minor parts thus my desire to take up casting again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:19:49 PM by inthesticks »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »
Well done you found out how  - pictures hosted on the forum will persist for as long as the forum does, whereas off site hosted one's often disappear and make threads useless :thumbup:

Just to keep Rob happy, pictures at 640 x 480 are a good compromise between bandwidth and visibility, as the larger ones 'over fll' screen on lower resolution devices.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
Thanks all for the welcome.

Hi Rob. I have a very lage collection of books amased over the last 40 years. Most are technical oriented woodwork, metalwork, general science and a large
collection of DIY manuals, the Dave Gingery series for example. As soon as I figure out how to upload pictures I will get some posted.

Cheers :beer:
CB

Hi CB

I am also a bit of  a bibliophile , like yourself manly technical ,mostly  early engineering practices  and allied trades going back to the early 1800's .

Nice machines you have there  :thumbup:   , that band-saw looks cracking   :clap: :clap:

I like BIG pictures Andrew  :)  one of my favourites being "Rain,Steam and Speed "   

Rob

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »
hi and welcume

inthesticks

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 05:32:13 PM »
Thank you Krv3000.

Cheers
CB

Offline Pete49

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 11:54:48 PM »
Welcome to the collective. You will be assimilated. Lucky for me the only bears here are koalas, a marsupial and the well known tree dwelling drop bears  :lol: so a real safe place. I love the fact you can get such a large creature close enough to photograph safely.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 02:11:40 AM »
Another welcome to the mad mob's hangout from the land of Downunder CB.
      Love your band saw, wanna stick a stamp on it and post it to my son?  :lol:  We have the plans to build one for his woodworking hobby but finding "round tuits" is difficult.

Again, beautiful job on that saw.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Joe d

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:19 AM »
Hi CB

Welcome to the madness...

Where abouts in Northern Ontario?  Before becoming a southerner, I lived in Hornepayne (twice!)
and Capreol....

Cheers,  Joe

inthesticks

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
Thanks Pete49
Bears are subject to a lot of discussion in north right now. Thier numbers have increased since spring hunt was canceled 16 years ago. They like most things are opertunists for food, don't leave open or smelly garbage or dirty outdoor cooking grills around and they usually leave you alone. As soon as I cut my lawn they disapear. All the smells of a city are very attractive to bears which is why Timmins and Sudbury are screaming about bears walking down the street.

Thanks John B
The band saw has held up really well. It is mainly a frame lamination of 5 layers of 3/4 inch plywood (I tend to overbuild) could probably get away with 3 or 4.
The wheel are a double layer of plywood trued up when running, 2 bolted and welded assemblies,blade guide and tension and tilt mechanism.The rest is mostly stuff I had around the shop like valve handles and 1/2 HP motor.

Hi Joe D
I am about 5 Hrs south east of Hornepayne near Quebec border.

Cheers All
CB

PS, Thought you might like this Pete49. Thankfully there are no grizzlies east of Alberta.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:42:13 AM by inthesticks »

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
Welcome Fellow Caster!  (I also got you located on the Googly-Map)

For more metal casting I encourage you to drop into AlloyAvenue.  Great set of helpful guys there!

You've already had the photos required speeches.  ;-)
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
No Bears in Yorkshire  but the mother in law's pretty fierce  :bugeye:

Visiting Canada in august- any good shops near Jeaneau worth a visit ( assuming SWMBO doesn't read this and I "just happened to find this dear and look they selltools...." :thumbup:

Ian

inthesticks

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »
Thanks TOOLSHED, have to resize from newer camera but it goes quick.

Ha ha sounds like a plan Ian but I'm not familiar with Jeaneau. What city is it near?

Cheers
CB

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »
OOps highly embarassing should have read the brochure more closely :coffee: It's in Alaska :Doh:

Hope to get over the border if not too closely observed by SWMBO if not will have to e mail Veritas and have supplies shipped like last time ( but that was Florida which is a bit further to "missed the turning and look what I found dear...").

inthesticks

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »
ha ha ha Alaska thats what I thought Ian but thats a different country so is Florida, HEY! whats a matter with Canada ha ha just kidding Ian. Ottawa is a long ways from either one but if your ever in that area, its in Canada  :beer: , make shure you stop in to Lee Valley Tools, Leonard Lee has his head of operations thier. He's the bright mind behind Veritas Tools, Lee Valley Tools and Algrove Publishing among others. Their's always a good deal or a great new tool when I stop in there.

Cheers
CB