Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 4273 times)

Offline rsegars

Introduction
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:07:34 PM »
Good morning from the southeast USA. South Carolina to be more specific. In case anyone is interested our weather today is projected to have temperatures of 87 F,1 C and sunny.
I am a semi-retired old wet fingered dentist. I still work two and one half days a week. I am 73 years old I notice that people in my age group are dying at a pretty steady rate, since I may need to give up something in order to have more time it may be work.
I have several interests that include golf, fishing shooting,reloading my own ammo, and metal working. Metal working is my latest interest and the one that I know least about.
I have an old Sheldon 11x56 tool room lathe circa 1940, a 602 Excello Mill circa 1989 and a couple of other items including welders. I am pretty much lost with all of them.
I will spend a lot of time on this forum trying to learn from those who know what they are about.
Thank you for including me in the membership.
Bob Segars

Offline Joules

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Hello Bob, welcome to MadModders.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »
Welcome Bob,

I'm sure that being a a dentist you must already have the practical skills to pick up metalworking easily. If not, it's good to know you have easy access to anaesthetic :D

Pete

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:44:21 PM »
Hi Bob  :wave: :wave:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »
hi and welcome bob from bob

inthesticks

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »
Hello Bob and welcome from another newbe and fellow retiree.

Cheers
CB

Offline rsegars

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
Thanks to all who replied to my introduction. Pete your comment on the transition from Dentistry to Metalworking was timely. I have compared many times the similarities as well as the differences. I only wish we could be as precise in dentistry as is possible in metalworking.
When working with a handpiece (drill) with a carbide or diamond bur that is turning at 250 K RPMS and only a finger rest for stability our tolerances do not compare.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
And the work piece keeps moving ! :bugeye:

Certainly in my case.

Welcome to the fun. Wishing you many happy(pain free) years with us

As a matter of interest dental burrs and even better interdental brushes are great for getting bits out of fine holes( strange that??).

Also the scrapers make excellent scribes once they're" worn out for work" :thumbup:

Offline rsegars

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:05:43 AM »
Sounds like one with experience. thanks for the welcome.